Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's go foraging

Anyone tried King Oyster mushrooms? I foraged some from my local Waitrose, reduced for quick sale. Fried them and ate them. Tasted quite nice, but sooooo chewy. Any ideas on reducing the chewiness?
These are my absolute faves. Love them. Fry in butter, maybe garlic depending on mood, either cut the fat stems crosswise into thin discs, or lengthways into thin strips, depending if they're going on toast or into dinner.

Edit: I think the chewiness of them is what I find appealing, along with the flavour. They hold up well and keep their structure too.

These are my absolute faves. Love them. Fry in butter, maybe garlic depending on mood, either cut the fat stems crosswise into thin discs, or lengthways into thin strips, depending if they're going on toast or into dinner.

Edit: I think the chewiness of them is what I find appealing, along with the flavour. They hold up well and keep their structure too.
Waves to Stig...

Praps I'll try them again, but thinly sliced this time.

My park is a truly hopeless place for foraging - I would still starve if I had a hundred of them to forage in.
I doubt there would be much wildlife if people weren't actively feeding the birds and squirrels.

More forest finds

Top left- I think they're sulfur knights (poisonous and the smell strongly suggests they're bad, too)
Top middle - not sure, possibly more of above
Top right - wood blewits - super tasty :cool:
Bottom left - more amethyst deceivers and what I think/hope is my first 'regular' deceiver
Bottom right - gutted about these as I really wanted them to edible, they're so pretty. They've been possibly ID'd as lilac bonnets, which used to be thought edible but no longer. Ah, well.

blewits2.jpg

Not many if any seem sufficiently ripe in any case - and I don't consider them available to pilfer in quantity due to location ...

figs.jpg

A friend (actually someone I don't know that well) just sent me a massive hamper stuffed full of foraged things and homemade food/beverages made from foraged things! Very inspiring. Will need to up my foraging/recipe-making game next year!

Attachments

• PXL_20211221_162101995.jpg
    PXL_20211221_162101995.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20211221_162057470.jpg
    PXL_20211221_162057470.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20211221_161008950.jpg
    PXL_20211221_161008950.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20211221_161001278.jpg
    PXL_20211221_161001278.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I've seen some wild garlic while out running. Hopefully there's enough to forage in the woods at the weekend.
Plan on making wild garlic and potato soup, and maybe wild garlic pesto another time.
I moved away a while ago and wild garlic isn’t so much of a thing here. Three cornered leek / wild onion grows in abundance though.
i reslly like the flavour of wild garlic and the ease and green of it.

just went for a walk round my local woods and no wild garlic at all, boo.

I'll have another day off next week and do a different bit of woods.

There's a lot of something in my park that smells garlicky, but it may be an ornamental species - but it's an urban park with heavy dog pressure ..
To be honest, I can't get very enthusiastic about wild garlic. Yesterday as is nearly always the case when I start a new batch of stew, the two red onions and third of a bulb of garlic made their presence felt well into the night ...

There's a lot of something in my park that smells garlicky, but it may be an ornamental species - but it's an urban park with heavy dog pressure ..
To be honest, I can't get very enthusiastic about wild garlic. Yesterday as is nearly always the case when I start a new batch of stew, the two red onions and third of a bulb of garlic made their presence felt well into the night ...
'dog pressure' :D

That's such a very polite way to describe piss.

I was a raw garlic person when I was younger, but I struggle now.
My stew gets half a bulb when I make it and it quite often repeats on me the first day ...

Back
Top Bottom