Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Leftovers

ringo

Macaroni cheese controller
I seem to have bought a load of books with top end meat recipes in and none with any suggestions for leftovers.

What are your favourite leftover recipes and cook books?

Please cover all known meats and show your working ;)

Well leftover chicken for me either goes into a pasta dish seeing as it's already herb roasted or chicken soup/broth.

With a pasta dish I either make a white sauce or tomato sauce. For soup/broth it's just water, chicken stock (made with carcass if possible), veg, potato and left over chicken.

I seem to have bought a load of books with top end meat recipes in and none with any suggestions for leftovers.

What are your favourite leftover recipes and cook books?

Please cover all known meats and show your working ;)

So whats wrong with all the other leftovers threads then?

Here are three for starters

http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/threads/286593-Leftover-cooked-lamb....
http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/threads/310413-leftover-chicken-recipes
http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/threads/274178-What-to-do-with-leftover-beef

And this website may be useful - from yet another:

http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/

THEN there is the cooking on a budget thread, stickied even. Plenty ideas there!

http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/threads/52994-*urban-75-student-cook-book.

:p

rissotto every time - anything in the fridge not covered in mould can go in all together - yummyness one pot cooking

Fuck off pogofish. It's pathetically sad to have such a depressing and public obsession. You really should be more ashamed of your petty, annoying behaviour. It's not like you haven't been told.

Really, what makes you so sure that you're right? Why should the the right answer some years ago be the right answer now? Are exactly the same people using the forum now as then? Are you assuming everybody else is stagnating - unable to learn new recipes, experience new cooking, try doing new things, and that nobody could possibly have a new or different response to last time? Have all the answers been posted on those threads? No of course not, nobody has mentioned the difference between using leftover chicken breast or thigh, or the myriad of other cuts available. There are a thousand different ways of cooking and eating which have not been discussed, and they never will if you wave your superior, condescending ego in everyones face every time they have something to say.

Your obsession suggests that you only want new discussion to take place, but your intervention has the opposite effect - you kill positive discussion, put people's backs up and ruin conversations. You're a troll, nothing more.

Anyway, leftover experts, back to more interesting subjects - have any of you got a mincer/sausage maker? What's the difference? I've always wanted one of the old iron Spong jobbies, but never had a reason to own one.

Giovach.

Take a casserole dish.
Cover the bottom with cubed potatoes.
Cut up your leftover meat - lumps, shreds, up to you - and distribute over the meat.
Roughly chop a couple of peppers, onions and garlic for the next layer.
Next, a load of chopped tomatoes - canned is fine. Have you turned the oven on? Mediumish.
Next you want enough stock/liquid to just cover the meat layer - less if using a slow cooker.
Herbs are good - fresh if possible. A bayleaf tucked into the cooking liquid and a handful of parsley is lovely and goes with most things.
I usually top this off with a cup each of frozen peas and beans, but the world is your oyster. Do you like mushrooms? Sweetcorn? Spinach?

Stick it in the oven for an hour or the slow cooker all day. Eat with bread or rice if you like your stodge.

Why is Pogofish annoying?? I find it more annoying that people keep asking the same fucking questions over and over :D

Fuck off pogofish. It's pathetically sad to have such a depressing and public obsession. You really should be more ashamed of your petty, annoying behaviour. It's not like you haven't been told.

Really, what makes you so sure that you're right? Why should the the right answer some years ago be the right answer now? Are exactly the same people using the forum now as then? Are you assuming everybody else is stagnating - unable to learn new recipes, experience new cooking, try doing new things, and that nobody could possibly have a new or different response to last time? Have all the answers been posted on those threads? No of course not, nobody has mentioned the difference between using leftover chicken breast or thigh, or the myriad of other cuts available. There are a thousand different ways of cooking and eating which have not been discussed, and they never will if you wave your superior, condescending ego in everyones face every time they have something to say.

Your obsession suggests that you only want new discussion to take place, but your intervention has the opposite effect - you kill positive discussion, put people's backs up and ruin conversations. You're a troll, nothing more.

TBH, all this does is strengthen my suspicion that a lot of repeat-thread posters are doing so for almost any reason other than the question they ask. Attention perhaps?

Happy? :rolleyes:

Anyway, leftover experts, back to more interesting subjects - have any of you got a mincer/sausage maker? What's the difference? I've always wanted one of the old iron Spong jobbies, but never had a reason to own one.

I almost hate to say it....

Why not try looking at the past mincer threads?

:p :)

Universal Casserole Recipe:

Ingredients:

1 c. meat or meat substitute (e.g., cubed chicken, turkey, or ham; ground beef, seafood, tuna, cooked beans, etc.)

1 c. vegetable ingredient (e.g., chopped onion, mushrooms, peas, canned vegetables, etc.)

1-2 c. starchy ingredient (e.g., potatoes, cooked noodles or rice, etc.)

1 1/2 c. binder (e.g., cream sauce, sour cream, can of condensed cream soup, etc.)

1/4 c. extras - optional (e.g., pimiento, olives, almonds, water chestnuts, etc.)

seasoning (e.g., salt, pepper, garlic, worcestershire sauce, etc.)

Topping/extras (e.g., french fried onion rings, potato chips, chopped hard-cooked eggs, cheese, bread crumbs)

1/4 - 1/2 c. milk OR stock - as needed if too dry

Combine all ingredients (except topping) and pour into casserole dish.

Bake 25-40 min.

Add your choice of topping and bake an additional 5 min.

You can use any combination of ingredients and it will work.

Back
Top Bottom