Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Leave English or Die

It really doesn't. Not in 20 years of my experience living here anyway. They'll have been speaking Welsh to start with. It being their language kinda thing.
Sorry, but there have been occasions when I've been in the pub already, listening to them jabbering in English, until someone comes in & speaks English to the landlord, then they start in Welsh ...
This is in some parts of North Wales, and some examples date back at least 25 years or more.

P.S - I should stress that it wasn't a common occurrence, but definitely happened. At least once because the person entering was a well-known to the locals - and me - as a completely useless twat.

All these lovely anecdotes. I'm looking forward to the one where you walked into a pub and they all started speaking Welsh.
Apologies if the cut of my post riles you mate, it wasn't intended to offend, and I do get what you're saying. My favourite anecdote was the road sign over painter but let's leave that one alone. I had that on my bingo card.

I have had personal experience of quite ugly nationalist behaviour whilst living in Wales as a young lad and as an adult though. It hasn't stopped me settling in Wales or has it changed my love of the country or my opinion of Welsh folk. I just see those individuals in the same way that I do, anti everyone else, English/Scots Nationalists, for what they are, cunts. They're not representative of the people of a nation state and in my experience tend to be quite insular people with little experience of the wider world. I'm also not daft enough to dismiss why some nationalism manifests itself in the way that it does based on historical events but I personally take people as I find them and expect the same in return which I'm sure you do too.

I've actually walked into a couple of Welsh pubs and some of the Welsh speakers have started talking English. It's quite handy when you're trying to order a pint or find out how the footy scores went. 🤣

Anyway here's one for you now that you bring up anecdotes about those funny you terribly racist funny Welsh folk. True as a sit here (Apart from the dates, that bits quite hazy now).

Me and a pal of mine were camping and climbing in the Carnneddau one icy winter, many, many, moons ago.
The weather went total shite so on the Saturday morning we packed up and came down and booked into bunkhouse gaff just outside Conway. Our plan was to have a few scoops, maybe watch the footy if we could find a pub showing it, and finish off the session with a Ruby and get a cab back to the bunkhouse.

We walked into one of the old boozers (I think it was Ye Old Mailcoach) and there was a crowd of locals chatting away at the bar in their native tongue, who parted to let us in to be served. Both of us spoke enough Welsh to be civil so bid them prynahawn Da, said Diolch and ordered some pints. we then sat down at the nearest table.

My mate ( A Pudsey/Leeds lad) sat in this big armchair and I grabbed a stool.
The next minute the local lads turned around started smirking and seemed to be having a laugh at our expense.
My mate mutters to me under his breath "Here we go lad, nice welcome" kisses his teeth, sups his pint and sits back in the armchair.

Next minute one of the lads (all in their 40's i guess) turns around and spouts.
"Brave man who sits in that chair"
"OH aye whys that then?" said my mate on the bounce
"That's Gwyll's chair"
"Oh really, OK well if Gwyll comes in he can have his chair then mucker... when I've finished my pint"
"Gwyll won't be coming in today" says the local.
"Well he won't need his chair then will he? Do you mind if we get on with drinking our pints in peace mate?"

There's a rather awkward pause and then they all start laughing again and turn back to the bar.

"Well you're a brave man that me, that's all I'm saying" and they laugh.

At this point I'm winked at by one of the local lads and a flick of his eyes draws me to the joke.

At that point I lost it, spat out half my pint and went into a fit of laughter. This does nothing for my mate who is getting sweaty under the collar and his heckles are rising because he thinks we're in for a dust up with some Welsh banjo players.

"Don't humour them <Frieda> there's no need for this sort of behaviour, they wouldn't get this sort of welcome in Leeds or Bradford"

Well this just made me totally lose my shit and I was neigh short on wetting myself.

"Come on, fuck this, we're leaving" says my mate.

"Na fuck that I'm getting another round in, don't be a twat, they've got the footy on now"

At the bar one of the locals says to me "Has he got the joke yet?"

"No mate he thinks you're a bunch of Welsh nationalist cunts and he wants us to leave"

Then one of them blurted out "We are Welsh Nationalist Cunts but that's not why we're laughing at him" and they all turn around again, laughing very loudly, whilst looking at him.

That's when he got up and made out to leave the boozer and one of them shouted just as he made for the door "Turn around and look at the chair mate"

On the top of chair was a Lace Square with crochet writing on it in red wool that said

Gwyll Jones
Died in this Chair
23/02/1991
3 days earlier. :D

He sat back down, he knew he'd been had. By the LOCALS :D

I have no idea who was playing that day but I remember the faces of those funny cunts as if it was yesterday. Every now and then I rib my mate about how we almost got into a dust up with a bunch of "Welsh nationalists" one afternoon in Conwy. I told his kids quite recently. He's still smarting after 30 odd years :D

Sorry, but there have been occasions when I've been in the pub already, listening to them jabbering in English, until someone comes in & speaks English to the landlord, then they start in Welsh ...
This is in some parts of North Wales, and some examples date back at least 25 years or more.

P.S - I should stress that it wasn't a common occurrence, but definitely happened. At least once because the person entering was a well-known to the locals - and me - as a completely useless twat.
You know what, I reckon the Welsh Tourist Board must pay them to speak Cymraeg when someone from over the border goes into their pub to add that special mystique you get in a far-flung Celtic stronghold. The authentic touch. A bit of Welsh Wales.

Back
Top Bottom