Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Leave English or Die

planetgeli

There's no future in England's dreaming
Yeah, not the most grammatically correct graffiti ever. This is my local pub.

1666369456203.png

Bit of background. This pub has changed hands several times in the last few years. It's in a really shite location (a fast bit of the A40) and all owners struggle. The new guy also runs a cafe in town, which is highly rated by the locals. He's a lovely guy.

At least he's made the BBC news, might drum up some trade.

The BBC seem to have misspelled nationalists.

Yeah, not the most grammatically correct graffiti ever. This is my local pub.

View attachment 348170

Bit of background. This pub has changed hands several times in the last few years. It's in a really shite location (a fast bit of the A40) and all owners struggle. The new guy also runs a cafe in town, which is highly rated by the locals. He's a lovely guy.

At least he's made the BBC news, might drum up some trade.

The BBC seem to have misspelled nationalists.

Tempting to turn the last two letters of the first word to R and N...

I see it as a complaint against the plastic pink the landlord chose for the place. Awful just awful :)

It is horrible but he didn't paint it pink, the last people did.

I've been thinking about the graffiti and maybe everyone is misunderstanding. If it's grammatically correct, it's English fascists.

if its changed hands a couple of times in the last few years

i'd be looking at past owners as it does look like something more personal than them just being english

I think it's personal too. Dunno about the past owners bit though.

I've been here 20 years. I reckon that pub has changed hands 4 or 5 times. It was closed for a couple of years about 10 years ago. It's the worst location for a pub. It really is my local, my nearest pub, though I'm still about a mile away. But it's on the A40. You cannot walk there. Terrible place for any business. Apart from a petrol station maybe.

ok if you local you'll know better

could it be drug related if its on the A40 , might be trying to clean the place up
had enough bullshit when i used to work in boozers almost at the point of being closed for shite like that

ok if you local you'll know better

could it be drug related if its on the A40 ,

It's Carmarthenshire mate, not the Westway (although bizarrely the same road).

It is very Welsh here. Biggest percentage of Welsh speakers in the south and we have a PC MP (who's a dick). It can still be personal but use the underlying rampant anti-Englishness of some here. IYSWIM.

fair enough don't know the town but can understand the situation

was in a very irish part of ireland and i almost got into a fight due to a Foreigner remark that they did not think i would understand

I hesitate to go there, but isn't there some justification for the anti-English sentiment, albeit not deserved by this particular publican?
And maybe not underlined by a death threat?

(Disclosure: I am English. My Welsh grandfather died before I was born.)

Of course. About 800 years of Welsh history for starters.

The reason I think this is personal is because of what I've said about the pub. The guy has bought what has been a failing business for 20 years. He's not doing anyone out of a home or such like. Someone just doesn't like him and is using extreme Welsh nationalism as a fig leaf for his/her own personal gripes. Probably.

Seen plenty of that in the North but didn't think it was a thing down that way. When I lived in Caernarfon we worked with a lad from the Llyn who we suspected was involved with setting fire to a post Office ran by an elderly English couple. He was a real backwards twat and even the other Taff's I lived with found his overt nationalism ill thought out. This was pointed out to him by them when he couldn't cash his Giro and was trying to bum a round off us.

It's on the rise again but I think you're probably right about it being personal in that case but it hardly changes the fact of the matter. Its still ugly nationalism even if it is just a personal spat. They could of painted "Barry's a pedalo" or something along those lines but they didn't they've gone for his Englishness which shows the perp is like our mate Earon from Talsarnau. A cunt.

Leave English Or Die is a way better name than The Cottage Inn anyway. They should own it.
With a name like The Cottage they could work the pink £ and declare themselves an LGBT pub and book Shagger our local trans DJ. That'd get the local tongues wagging. Usually these sort of bigots have more than one hang up.

Seen plenty of that in the North but didn't think it was a thing down that way. When I lived in Caernarfon we worked with a lad from the Llyn who we suspected was involved with setting fire to a post Office ran by an elderly English couple. He was a real backwards twat and even the other Taff's I lived with found his overt nationalism ill thought out. This was pointed out to him by them when he couldn't cash his Giro and was trying to bum a round off us.

It's on the rise again but I think you're probably right about it being personal in that case but it hardly changes the fact of the matter. Its still ugly nationalism even if it is just a personal spat. They could of painted "Barry's a pedalo" or something along those lines but they didn't they've gone for his Englishness which shows the perp is like our mate Earon from Talsarnau. A cunt.

I can definitely relate to that !

Friends of mine used to live way over on the Llyn [for almost 25 years] and what's left of my family now live just inland from Porthmadog. Also, I was involved with the fewtincog just after it got back into Bleanau Festiniog, and experienced some of the anti-english mood directly.
It was quite common for some locals to blame all ills, including the weather, on English incomers / tourists.

Back
Top Bottom