Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth's plans to demolish Cressingham Gardens and other estates without the consent of residents

There's a table at the Cressingham Gate again today so say hello, get your badges, check out the People's Plan etc if passing. :)

I won't be there, this weekend is still not my problem (gut problem says "no").

The Lambeth's latest consultation is ostensibly for Fenwick Estate at Clapham North.
October 01, 2016 at 10:30am - 2:30pm
WHERE:
Fenwick Hall
128 Willington Rd
Fenwick Estate
London SW9 7ND

The odd thing is that on page 7 of the consultation document, the biographies of two of the "actors" in this little drama are headed:
"Relevance to Cressingham Lambeth".

Is there a sinister new organisation Cressingham Lambeth which is seeking to demolish and rebuild Lambeth Estates? (with the assistance of Conran and partners incidentally)

Or is this bad cutting and pasting on behalf of Lambeth Regeneration - or worse one of their "design partners" such as Conrans?

Is the photo of Cressingham Gardens or Fenwick Estate? Looks more Cressinghammy to me. Fenwick currently does not have too many blades of grass FWICR.
cres-fen.JPG

Attachments

• fenwick_guide_A5_16pp_web.pdf
    484.8 KB · Views: 0
The Lambeth's latest consultation is ostensibly for Fenwick Estate at Clapham North.
October 01, 2016 at 10:30am - 2:30pm<snip> Is the photo of Cressingham Gardens or Fenwick Estate? Looks more Cressinghammy to me. Fenwick currently does not have too many blades of grass FWICR.
View attachment 93008
Not of Cressingham Gardens Estate as it is now. The bricks are the wrong colour, the clearing is too flat, and the windows are the wrong style. Probably an "artists impression" of what "new and improved" Fenwick might look like if the plebs keep quiet and are suitably grateful.

October 01, 2016 at 10:30am - 2:30pm
WHERE:
Fenwick Hall
128 Willington Rd
Fenwick Estate
London SW9 7ND

The odd thing is that on page 7 of the consultation document, the biographies of two of the "actors" in this little drama are headed:
"Relevance to Cressingham Lambeth".

Is there a sinister new organisation Cressingham Lambeth which is seeking to demolish and rebuild Lambeth Estates? (with the assistance of Conran and partners incidentally)

Or is this bad cutting and pasting on behalf of Lambeth Regeneration - or worse one of their "design partners" such as Conrans?

Is the photo of Cressingham Gardens or Fenwick Estate? Looks more Cressinghammy to me. Fenwick currently does not have too many blades of grass FWICR.
View attachment 93008

They're tendering for Cressingham too, so this is probably yet another instance of some office donkey fucking up with the cut and paste.

It's all bollocks, though. The "choice" that residents get, isn't choice at all. Their views - and the views of their Resident Engagement Panel - constitute such a small percentage of the overall "scores" given to these design teams in order to rate their tenders, that the views make no significant difference, and merely give the appearance of choice, rather than the reality. Managerialist faux-consultative rubbish.

Not of Cressingham Gardens Estate as it is now. The bricks are the wrong colour, the clearing is too flat, and the windows are the wrong style. Probably an "artists impression" of what "new and improved" Fenwick might look like if the plebs keep quiet and are suitably grateful.

Fuck being "suitably grateful"!!! :D

They're tendering for Cressingham too, so this is probably yet another instance of some office donkey fucking up with the cut and paste.

It's all bollocks, though. The "choice" that residents get, isn't choice at all. Their views - and the views of their Resident Engagement Panel - constitute such a small percentage of the overall "scores" given to these design teams in order to rate their tenders, that the views make no significant difference, and merely give the appearance of choice, rather than the reality. Managerialist faux-consultative rubbish.
It's not very equal is it? You've got Mr X and Ms Y working for various agencies and consultants - and they want to give you a snippet of their LindedIn entries and a resumé of their career so far in "Regeneration".

Meanwhile Mrs Z who has lived on an estate for 40 years and is worried to death what is going to happen to her - and the consultants don't want to know.

This response from a Buzz reader is worth reposting here:
Of the 6 estates originally rolled into Lambeth’s “regeneration” programme, Knight’s Walk resisted, but reached an accommodation (properties on one side of the – small – estate to be demolished, the rest left alone), South Lambeth estate is torn – an almost 50/50 split of opinion, but Fenwick, Westbury, Cressingham and Central Hill are all resisting strongly*.

*As is Hemans Estate, which was rolled into the regeneration programme recently.

There is, of course, little in the entire programme that bears on the wishes of existing residents. Cressingham Gdns conducted a door-knocking exercise with regard to their “The People’s Plan” proposals, soliciting views about the issue of refurbishment versus “regeneration” (i.e. demolition and rebuilding). Over 70% of households responded (more than double what any council door-knocking exercise has managed), and of the respondents, more than 80% supported refurbishment, with only 4% explicitly supporting full regeneration. Central Hill carried out a similar exercise, with similar results.

Partly as a result of this resident activism, Lambeth have embarked, using the spurious excuse of “danger” to Cllrs and council officers, on a set of proposals to close down local democracy, limiting public participation and attendance at meetings and hearings. Lambeth Labour doesn’t like due process.

Oh Bollocks. Fight on required. Moral support from here.

Maybe I'm cynical, but I wonder how much that cost the developers ... ?
If anything, apart from their legal fees, of course ...
This is just a cynical speculation on my part, no evidence at all, as having seen several mills and warehouses "needing re-development", very conveniently, catch fire after spending years standing empty.

Last edited:
StoneRoad - do you have any evidence for that? If not then I'd delete it, unless you are happy to fund any action for libel that Editor finds himself receiving.

StoneRoad - do you have any evidence for that? If not then I'd delete it, unless you are happy to fund any action for libel that Editor finds himself receiving.
I've edited, to say that I was being cynical, opinion only, no evidence !
But there have been several, very convenient fires in mills and warehouses. I can think of at least a couple of examples on Tyneside ... and speculation, especially without evidence is a common pastime.

Oh Bollocks. Fight on required. Moral support from here.

Maybe I'm cynical, but I wonder how much that cost the developers ... ?
If anything, apart from their legal fees, of course ...
This is just a cynical speculation on my part, no evidence at all, as having seen several mills and warehouses "needing re-development", very conveniently, catch fire after spending years standing empty.

The developers are Lambeth Council. They're arseholes, but they're not arsonists - except with, for example, inconvenient social services records ( Winot they have form for archive records spontaneously combusting).

Back
Top Bottom