Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth's plans to demolish Cressingham Gardens and other estates without the consent of residents

There'll be another event like this in a couple of weeks. VP came home from it a few hours ago - apparently the acts were a mixed bag, but good value. BTW booze was on sale and the food was free - that's likely to be true next time too.

I haven't been to the one today (migraine) but really hope to be at the next one. Just my luck to miss something more or less on the doorstep. :facepalm:

There'll be another event like this in a couple of weeks. VP came home from it a few hours ago - apparently the acts were a mixed bag, but good value. BTW booze was on sale and the food was free - that's likely to be true next time too.

I haven't been to the one today (migraine) but really hope to be at the next one. Just my luck to miss something more or less on the doorstep. :facepalm:
Sorry I missed it - rarely read b buzz. Can someone post a link here when the next one is announced, please? Ta.

Sorry I missed it - rarely read b buzz. Can someone post a link here when the next one is announced, please? Ta.
If the bloke gets his act together with the booking in time (he was more than a bit shambolic with this one, including the necessary red tape), I'll gladly post a link - to this thread, Brixton Buzz, and the Brixton noticeboard. :)

Since then, the music bloke hasn't got his act together, but there are two events on the estate, and one off it, which might be of interest. Apologies for the short notice...

The ones on the Estate are free, although donations will be welcome.

Sunday 5th June 7.30pm upstairs at the Ritzy (half an hour) - "Uprooted". In the middle of a rapidly changing London, a housing crisis rips through the capital eating up communities and council estates along the way. Two lives intertwine as they are forced to say goodbye to their memories at Myatt’s Field North estate in Brixton. Residents from Myatts Field North and Cressingham Gardens will get priority for the seats, but standing will be allowed.

Tuesday 7th June and Thursday 9th June "The Smallness Inside The Bigness" (7.30-8.30pm - promenade play, please contact the organisers if you have difficulty with steps, walk slowly, or will need to sit down - arrangements will be made as far as possible). Two young women have worked incredibly hard putting this together and some of the cast live on the estate. You're asked to book in advance, to give everyone a chance of hearing and seeing what's going on. :)

As part of London Festival of Architecture and AntiUniversity Now Festival, Degenerate Space present a Site-Specific performance event on Cressingham Gardens. Designed by Ted Hollamby, municipal architect for Lambeth in the late 1960s, Cressingham Gardens is a visionary residential estate, which incorporates Hollamby’s radical ideas of community, design and urban living. This ideology has been under threat since 2012, when Lambeth council voted to demolish the estate. Through image, immersive theatre, and the recorded testimonies of residents, The Smallness Inside The Bigness explores the founding ideas of Cressingham Gardens, how these are played out in the present realities of the estate, and why they are under threat.
The Smallness Inside The Bigness: Changing Visions On Cressingham Gardens

Last edited:
And there's more... another one 17th June. Free (suggested donation is AFAIK £3) Do bring your own cushions if you think you'll need one, the seats can be a bit hard..
ESTATE_BC_cast 2.jpg

(I wasn't sure whether to mention you're in it. :cool:)

No drama. It's no secret. :) I mostly stayed out of the film and got on with community support and organising because that was my focus. This film is just one part of the many things we did and developed over time. Andrea was a neighbour and is a close friend. She was also responsible for the portrait installation (I am here) we had on the outside of the block.

No rewards of cider for being able to scroll and spot my pic though...must work harder! ;)

Gave the film tonight a miss - I'd only been running around doing things for it the last two days or so.

Apparently there was a good turn out by the time the main bit started, and the discussion at the end became quite political. Thanks to all who turned up and/or gave their time and energy to make this evening possible. :)

The money business is mostly beyond my understanding, BUT! for Cressingham, I hope the 'Leave' result will mean Lambeth won't be going to the Money Markets where Investors are courting the Council with succulent deals in Lambeth's property portfolio, but where Lambeth is crawling like a begger to borrow money from people with conditions Auditors would not allow.

The money business is mostly beyond my understanding, BUT! for Cressingham, I hope the 'Leave' result will mean Lambeth won't be going to the Money Markets where Investors are courting the Council with succulent deals in Lambeth's property portfolio, but where Lambeth is crawling like a begger to borrow money from people with conditions Auditors would not allow.
Theoretically the money markets are a better bet than a PFI - but time will definitely tell.

The Town Hall development is racing ahead - and when aked if this is PFI they simply don't comment. £500 for changing a Town Hall light bulb anyone?

Unfortunately, we have little clue as to how Brexit will affect local authority borrowing and spending. What we do know, is that the coalition and now the Tory govt have turned down housing-related Euro-grant aid on a grand scale - basically on the premise that it would only benefit people who require social housing.

As for Cressingham, Lambeth will do whatever they need to, to finance regen, including selling the future to pay for the present. That much was obvious from the original costings for regen. Up to half a billion, repaid over 50 years, anyone?

Unfortunately, we have little clue as to how Brexit will affect local authority borrowing and spending. What we do know, is that the coalition and now the Tory govt have turned down housing-related Euro-grant aid on a grand scale - basically on the premise that it would only benefit people who require social housing.

As for Cressingham, Lambeth will do whatever they need to, to finance regen, including selling the future to pay for the present. That much was obvious from the original costings for regen. Up to half a billion, repaid over 50 years, anyone?
A propos Brexit and regeneration the Log Lady tweeted regarding shared equity arrangements now being blocked for right to buy residents. This was originally noted regarding Central Hill Estate proposals. If we are now in imminent Brexit can the implementation of this EU directive be challenged?

A propos Brexit and regeneration the Log Lady tweeted regarding shared equity arrangements now being blocked for right to buy residents. This was originally noted regarding Central Hill Estate proposals. If we are now in imminent Brexit can the implementation of this EU directive be challenged?

Not, I'm led to understand, until we've actually exited, by which time as many as 700 leaseholders across the current six "regeneration" estates will have been kebabed. :(

Similar to last year, people from this estate and some of their friends will have a table near the Cressingham gate to Brockwell Park this Saturday.

Badges will be on sale as a trial run of two 25mm (one inch) button badge designs, they arrived this morning. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom