Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth's plans to demolish Cressingham Gardens and other estates without the consent of residents

re. banners and Park. The Park still has a Manager and a few Staff, and there was a very strong NW wind over the weekend. Maybe if the banners were placed on the inside of the railings they might be more secure. Good luck
Morning Robert (very brave or naive using a real name here - I don't recommend it on the net). Yesterday evening, banners were up, I know because I photographed them.

Early this morning, a very selective wind removed one (not party politlical) banner, leaving the masking tape stuck to itself. Others, fixed no more securely, were still in place. Two more had been torn and cut, which was not the work of the wind or an animal - it would have needed scissors or a knife. If this isn't the work of the park staff, it's the work of somebody who'd be glad to see this estate flattened, at least doubled in density, and made a lot uglier.

More will be made and more will go up.

A Save Cressingham FoI has finally been answered by Lambeth Council. It asked to see any involvement by Cllr Marcia Cameron about the whole repair / regeneration issue. Cllr Cameron has claimed herself that she initiated the regeneration work.

Lambeth Council tired at first not to make the information available in the public domain. Rather than publish online, it suggested sending a hard copy in the post.

Save Cressingham are a persistent lot ;)

What is surprising is that all of the internal emails have been included. This is highly unusual for Lambeth Council. It usually finds a way to wriggle out of this.

I've only been able to scan the six years worth of information. I'm sure that there are many other useful details in there.

What I have picked out though is that Cllr Cameron was pushing for the regeneration option as far back as July 2014. Plus also the Special Purpose Vehicle looks like the way of delivering the regeneration. This allows an organisation from outside the council to set the levels of rent.

BBuzz piece.

Full FoI.

As I say, small victories, no point getting too complacent but it's a glimmer at least. :D A councillor presented it, after a photo op outside with one of our lot handing it over to them.

Heard it, have some scrappy notes, it was quite interesting. In a nutshell:
The council need to have 5 and 10 year plans instead of lurching from one pilot scheme to another.

More communication and cooperation between young people (and others looking for work), educators, training providers and employers, so that placements are there when needed, and people have a chance of getting ready in time to take up the work.

More needs to be done to encourage and nurture local businesses, including considering them for things like the cleaning contracts.

London Liviing Wage to be brought in as the standard minimum to be paid to anyone working for Lambeth or for any of their contractors. Zero hours contracts to be got rid of.

More fruit and veg needs to be grown locally, even if it's edible bus stops (or maybe lettuces on the roof of the new Town Hall).

Most of the cooperative council's claimed victories and achievements have bugger all to do with it (so said Tim Briggs). Same councillor apologised after some hefty prompting for getting his figures wrong misinterpreted at the previous meeting.

Comments about Matthew Bennet reminding Tim Briggs of a young goodlooking but not v upright citizen (whose name escapes me).

Social entrepreneurs if given the right support (including free/cheap pop up space for sessions of training or work) may well be able to provide a lot of long term sustainable employment in the area, without costing the council a lot.

Repeated comments about things should be made more local and/or brought back in house - to save money and keep things efficient.

CBA to do the rest right now.

Edited to add: I'll put the bit about jobs and increasing Lambeths's wealth in the Brixton bit, with a bit more detail
I can assure you that I have been in some total fuck ups -but none more so-than this hyper-crap that we have the misfortune of experiencing.Where is the "Plan"-maybe we is missin summat Greeb.

A Save Cressingham FoI has finally been answered by Lambeth Council. It asked to see any involvement by Cllr Marcia Cameron about the whole repair / regeneration issue. Cllr Cameron has claimed herself that she initiated the regeneration work.

<snip> What I have picked out though is that Cllr Cameron was pushing for the regeneration option as far back as July 2014. Plus also the Special Purpose Vehicle looks like the way of delivering the regeneration. This allows an organisation from outside the council to set the levels of rent.

BBuzz piece.

Full FoI.
Thanks for your hard work, and that of anyone else who had a hand in it. :)

Because of that article, some people on this estate have just about woken up to the full implications of SPV funding. It's not that the information wasn't there before (it was mentioned during various workshops and working groups last year), IMHO it's more that they were so busy worrying that they didn't recognise this longterm threat.

Cressingham was mentioned at the Streatham hustings last night. Chuka Umunna's words were "The council has not handled this well...." cue audience laughter. The conservative candidate was rightly booed for the HA sell off idea.

The Green candidate was the only one to raise the housing coop evictions.

Last edited:
Cressingham was mentioned at the Streatham hustings last night. Chuka Umunna's words were "The council has not handled this well...." cue audience laughter. The conservative candidate was rightly booed for the HA sell off idea.

The Green candidate was the only one to raise the housing coop evictions.
That's more or less what I expected would happen. The only main party which has given any support at all to this estate's situation has been the Green party.

Incidentally, it's a little unfair to say that "the council has not handled this well"; Chukka has at least allowed himself to be misled, and he (together with Marcia Cameron, Mary Atkins, and our third Labour councillor [the one who's been Mayor] for this ward) have well and truly refused to take more than a superficial glance at what was going on and what they were told has been going on.

I'm lost for words at their naive belief that "I didn't know anything about it" absolves them from guilt by association as well as all responsibility. There was I thinking that part of being an adult is clearing up the mess and putting things right, even if you're not directly to blame.

ITV coverage tonight from 6pm will include something about the estate and some people living here.

Lambeth Council tired at first not to make the information available in the public domain. Rather than publish online, it suggested sending a hard copy in the post.

Save Cressingham are a persistent lot ;)

What is surprising is that all of the internal emails have been included. This is highly unusual for Lambeth Council. It usually finds a way to wriggle out of this.

I've only been able to scan the six years worth of information. I'm sure that there are many other useful details in there.

What I have picked out though is that Cllr Cameron was pushing for the regeneration option as far back as July 2014. Plus also the Special Purpose Vehicle looks like the way of delivering the regeneration. This allows an organisation from outside the council to set the levels of rent.

BBuzz piece.

Full FoI.

It is interesting to see that the earliest email provided appears to be August 2012... Cressingham had already been earmarked for regen by that stage. Where are the earlier emails?
Also, there seems to be a lot of emails where the councillors are cc'ed, but very little sent by them. I wonder if this is not the complete set of emails?

I am beginning to think that the emails have been published for internal political reasons. It is extremely rare for Lambeth Council to release internal emails as part of an FoI. memespring will testify to this.

The ward Cllr's don't come out of this at all well. Others higher up meanwhile... :hmm:

I am beginning to think that the emails have been published for internal political reasons. It is extremely rare for Lambeth Council to release internal emails as part of an FoI. memespring will testify to this.

The ward Cllr's don't come out of this at all well. Others higher up meanwhile... :hmm:

Hmm, so might be the former and the current leader and/or the current "member for housing" (what an apt tag!) doing some arse-covering.
Tangentially, I was thinking I was being conspira-tastic yesterday, saying to Greebo that the "1000 new social homes in Lambeth" [i[]schtick[/i] came across as a bit of a "5 year plan" announcement to garner glory for the council's political figures, rather than as a benefit to the borough.

Tangentially, I was thinking I was being conspira-tastic yesterday, saying to Greebo that the "1000 new social homes in Lambeth" [i[]schtick[/i] came across as a bit of a "5 year plan" announcement to garner glory for the council's political figures, rather than as a benefit to the borough.

All sorts of ODD thinks happen when policy is caught up in the middle of an election campaign...

I did wonder why emails by Neil Vokes who is senior officer but nothing by Sue Foster

I would have thought some of the decisions and ideas like using an SPV would have come from high up officers.

Because of that article, some people on this estate have just about woken up to the full implications of SPV funding. It's not that the information wasn't there before (it was mentioned during various workshops and working groups last year), IMHO it's more that they were so busy worrying that they didn't recognise this longterm threat.

I did say this on previous post here after reading report that High Definition pointed to.

The SPV model if rolled out on all the estates that Lambeth wants to "regenerate" will effectively get rid of Council housing as it is now.

But there are ways around this. Lambeth usually find a way to wriggle out of including them.

It is also not unknown for ward Cllr's to use personal email addresses for Council business.

Crafty.

I also know that officers like to have un minuted "informal" meetings as this is supposed to be a more "Co operative" way of doing things. Also leaves little for an FOI to pick up on.

But there are ways around this. Lambeth usually find a way to wriggle out of including them.

It is also not unknown for ward Cllr's to use personal email addresses for Council business.

Crafty.
That is against policy- central government guidance is that private emails should not be used, auto forwarding is not allowed, personal/confidential/private/sensitive data on a personal email account is a disciplinary offence..... Most councils have basically cut and pasted the wording into their IT policies. May be a worth an FOI to find out what Lambeth's policy says....

That is against policy- central government guidance is that private emails should not be used, auto forwarding is not allowed, personal/confidential/private/sensitive data on a personal email account is a disciplinary offence..... Most councils have basically cut and pasted the wording into their IT policies. May be a worth an FOI to find out what Lambeth's policy says....

Guidance rather than regulation, though, I believe.

The Test of Opinion (which was supposed to happen in February, then this month) and the Cabinet decision about regenerating the hell out of this estate have been postponed yet again. Fine by me.

FAO Chukka Umunna and party faithful: you have repeatedly told people that support for Cressingham Gardens is part of a nasty smear campaign against you. Well, seeing as you couldn't be bothered to ring me back (as promised) here are a few things you need to know:
1) If this estate had been properly supported by even 1 let alone all 3 of its local ward councillors, instead of being more or less abandoned by them, I'd be happy to sing their praises (and those of their party, which happens to be Labour) morning, noon, and night.

2) If you'd taken a proper interest in the matter instead of apparently believing everything which Matthew Bennet and Lib Peck seem to have fed you, Labour would have more than a fighting chance of still getting plenty of votes on this council estate.

3) Implying that the Save Cressingham Gardens campaign was set up to smear you and Labour is untrue. I don't care which party the person who threatens my home (and those of my neighbours) is from, and I don't care who helps me save it. Or do you mean that we council estate plebs are incapable of sustaining a protest without help from political chancers? Go on, accuse TUSC and Left Unity while you're at it, they've done more or less as much as the Greens have, and a lot more than Labour.

Another Monday, another morning of finding banners removed. No matter, more have gone up. And more are due to go up in the next few days.

Frankly, the removal has long since become petty and childish, and will reflect very badly indeed on whoever's doing it, when they're found. In a way though, the remover does this estate and its campaign a favour.

You see, each time that somebody goes out to replace them, they get asked what they're doing and what's happening to the estate. And the answer comes from an ordinary looking person. Being London, doorstepping or just trying to stop people in the street could never work as effectively as this.

Back
Top Bottom