Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Labour leadership

That's a pretty poor cop-out.

Your point was designed to show that the Tories had an extremely marginal victory - even your own stats don't demonstrate that.

Very weak stuff.
my point was designed to say they have no right to be in government. any reasonable polity would award a party with 36.9% of the turnout 36.9% of the seats. not more than 50%.

fine, but the posts you've made over the last page or so are arguing against something some dickhead trots are saying on your facebook feed rather than what's being discussed by posters here. you don't like it when treelover does that, so it's not unreasonable to ask you to exercise restraint yourself. :p

Thats true enough :p:oops: but ive not actually said a great deal to treelover tbh. Point taken tho

remind me again why this tosser is being allowed to fill the thread with bollocks?

If all you do when I join a thread is call me a tosser, a dickhead etc... and get really, really wound up about it to the extent that you really, really, really need to show how wound up you are to all and sundry without countering with anything of any weight whatsoever, I suggest that you put me on ignore.

If all you do when I join a thread is call me a tosser, a dickhead etc... and get really, really wound up about it to the extent that you really, really, really need to show how wound up you are to all and sundry without countering with anything of any weight whatsoever, I suggest that you put me on ignore.
might as well go on ignore, you can't argue for toffee.

Satire is dead. I saw it gunned down on the streets if Paris. :(

we've not finished with the constitution yet, don't be in such a hurry.

No let's nail this one first as it's probably the easier subject matter to polish off.

37% of the vote yields a decisive majority of 330 seats, which is an outrage because some people never even voted!

4.7% of the vote yields 56 seats, which is presumably fine and has no reflection upon those who never voted.

12.7% of the vote yields 1 seat, which is even better than all the rest and is totally irrelevant to those who never voted...

but it hasn't otherwise they wouldn't have had to change it so often.

That's the whole point of an unwritten constitution - it's flexible.

In fact - that's the whole point of any successful constitutional law - it reflects values that are reinterpreted to each modern circumstance as society develops...

That's a pretty poor cop-out.

Your point was designed to show that the Tories had an extremely marginal victory - even your own stats don't demonstrate that.

Very weak stuff.

They got less than 25% of the available electorate, so while it wasn't "very" marginal it's also nothing like a solid democratic mandate (by their own terms, no less, if we go by the standards they want to impose on trade unions).

37% of the vote yields a decisive majority of 330 seats, which is an outrage because some people never even voted!
worth remembering what quorum those elected on such a mighty figure intend to impose on workers who vote in union actions.

No let's nail this one first as it's probably the easier subject matter to polish off.

4.7% of the vote yields 56 seats, which is presumably fine and has no reflection upon those who never voted.

12.7% of the vote yields 1 seat, which is even better than all the rest and is totally irrelevant to those who never voted...

Where on earth do you get the idea that these are fine?

Fucking dickhead.

the government does not have a majority of 330.

In fact - that's the whole point of any successful constitutional law - it reflects values that are reinterpreted to each modern circumstance as society develops...
it means you don't know where you stand tomorrow.

And here was me thinking that the point is to enable dodgy attacks on citizens' rights which a written constitution might get in the way of. But no sure, you're probably right, I mean it's not like there's a movement to get rid of the HRA and European rights laws or legislation being drafted on the fly to deal with challenges to government snooping/covert ops against citizens or anything.

there is no argument in your posts to respond to or to ignore, just a load of assertions which evaporate under scrutiny.

No - your assertion was that the Tory government is illegitimate because of the proportion of the total available vote across the entire electorate it won in relation to the seats it gathered was disproportionate.

I challenged you on two points - (i) first, that the proportional total vote argument is fundamentally spurious, and (ii) second, that other parties have soared far higher or dipped much further than the Tories have in relation to their actual votes.

The simple point is this - the country wants a Tory government.

I don't want a Tory government but until the left and the centre-left (which I would place myself in) realise that, then there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of getting rid of a Tory government.

Back
Top Bottom