Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kingstonian v Hamlet - rescheduled for Weds evening, 20th March 2024

Bugpowder Dust

Back to Tooting for the second time this season... It can't be worse than our previous visit, can it?

(We got beat in one of the small cups in front of about 30 people)

Back to Tooting for the second time this season... It can't be worse than our previous visit, can it?

Having also been at that game I’m not sure it could possibly be worse… however is this the first game under their new manager? That always worries me. The pitch will no doubt be a complete mud bath

Having also been at that game I’m not sure it could possibly be worse… however is this the first game under their new manager? That always worries me. The pitch will no doubt be a complete mud bath
They are playing tonight against Cheshunt. Their new boss Tutu Henriques has been assistant before at Ks as well as working with Hayden Bird at Merstham and Leatherhead. Hes got an extensive playing career but im not so sure about his managerial experience/quality

I believe this is his first managerial role, he's previously been Assistant. On paper his spell as Acting Manager was impressive. More so as he lost captain Mark Waters to Farnham Town.

Off the field, it's emerged K's have been using the money given to them by Wimbledon to subsidise the wages for a few seasons. This was agreed with Dons and has to cease next season. The lump sum is reported to be down to £660k, which won't go far in building a new ground. If they ever find a location.

They've beaten Bognor and drawn with Enfield since Henriques came in as interim. Wouldn't assume they're going to roll over, even with their best player buggering off to Farnham.

Reactions: EDC
They are playing tonight against Cheshunt. Their new boss Tutu Henriques has been assistant before at Ks as well as working with Hayden Bird at Merstham and Leatherhead. Hes got an extensive playing career but im not so sure about his managerial experience/quality
Tutu was my primary school PE teacher about 10 years ago. I know I was only a child but he was always a good communicator when teaching 8/9 year olds. Wish him all the best

There may be a protest by the K's fans on Saturday. See Motion Two. I believe the behind the goal fans boycotted the first half at the first protest.

Went to Ks/Cheshunt tonight. A really poor game ending 1-1. Cheshunt should really have won but failed to build on a solitary goal in the first half. Ks looked very poor. Midfield was weak and the defence marshalled by a creaking Matt Drage who appeared to pull a thigh muscle and could well be missing. Their right winger Price has plenty of pace and was the main threat with Eddie Dsane scoring their goal. He’s always a danger in the penalty area. Crowd given as 236, I doubt there was 120 watching the game

Eddie Dsane was impressive at Farnham a couple of weeks ago. Took his goal very well and worked very hard. He'll need watching closely.

Eddie Dsane was impressive at Farnham a couple of weeks ago. Took his goal very well and worked very hard. He'll need watching closely.
Dsane scored but looked completely disinterested until that moment, walking about, not closing down, whinging about inconsequential moments. Last 10mins he was a lot better. Have to say most of the Ks team look disinterested along with their supporters who mostly sang 'Youre going down with the Kingston'
Noticed on FB that someone had done a headcount of 138. 100 missing ST holders?

I'd like to think we can turn this one into a home game with our support. We averaged around 800 when we played our home games there in 2018, although now we have regular home games at Champion Hill I wouldn't expect quite so many to travel.

Contrary to the directions in last weekend's programme, trains are running from East Dulwich but there is no service on the connecting Thameslink route from Tulse Hill to Mitcham Junction. From East Dulwich you can get to East Croydon (half hourly service) for a tram connection to Mitcham, or you can get off the same train at Streatham Common for bus 118 from Greyhound Lane to the ground.

Mitcham Tram Stop is the nearest "station" around 5 minutes walk from the ground. The trams connect with rail services at Beckenham Junction, East Croydon, Mitcham Junction and Wimbledon. Tram fares operate the same as buses, it's a £1.75 flat fare, you touch in on the platform before boarding, don't touch out at the other end, it doesn't count as part of a rail journey (so you need to touch out on the train platform) but it does count towards the daily bus price cap of £5.25, and additional journeys within the hour are free under the bus hopper fare system.

Other options are Overground from Denmark Hill to Clapham Junction, change for Wimbledon or Mitcham Junction, then tram to Mitcham from there. For those based along the London Bridge to Croydon corridor, there are no trains to Croydon via Forest Hill.

Bus only options are route 201 from Herne Hill via West Dulwich to Mitcham Tram Stop, or 118 from Brixton via Streatham to the ground. There's also the Northern Line Underground to Morden, then bus 118 from the station forecourt to the ground, or a walk of just over 1 mile.

Went to Ks/Cheshunt tonight. A really poor game ending 1-1. Cheshunt should really have won but failed to build on a solitary goal in the first half. Ks looked very poor. Midfield was weak and the defence marshalled by a creaking Matt Drage who appeared to pull a thigh muscle and could well be missing. Their right winger Price has plenty of pace and was the main threat with Eddie Dsane scoring their goal. He’s always a danger in the penalty area. Crowd given as 236, I doubt there was 120 watching the game
What was the state of the pitch like for that game? Quite a bit of rain between then and tomorrows game

We seem to have had quite a lot of rain over the last 48 hours. The last forecast I saw at lunchtime predicted more overnight, with showers in the morning, then dry from around noon onwards. It looks touch and go to me, but at least there appears to be little danger of conditions worsening after the inspection if it passes.

I'd like to think we can turn this one into a home game with our support. We averaged around 800 when we played our home games there in 2018, although now we have regular home games at Champion Hill I wouldn't expect quite so many to travel.

Contrary to the directions in last weekend's programme, trains are running from East Dulwich but there is no service on the connecting Thameslink route from Tulse Hill to Mitcham Junction. From East Dulwich you can get to East Croydon (half hourly service) for a tram connection to Mitcham, or you can get off the same train at Streatham Common for bus 118 from Greyhound Lane to the ground.

Mitcham Tram Stop is the nearest "station" around 5 minutes walk from the ground. The trams connect with rail services at Beckenham Junction, East Croydon, Mitcham Junction and Wimbledon. Tram fares operate the same as buses, it's a £1.75 flat fare, you touch in on the platform before boarding, don't touch out at the other end, it doesn't count as part of a rail journey (so you need to touch out on the train platform) but it does count towards the daily bus price cap of £5.25, and additional journeys within the hour are free under the bus hopper fare system.

Other options are Overground from Denmark Hill to Clapham Junction, change for Wimbledon or Mitcham Junction, then tram to Mitcham from there. For those based along the London Bridge to Croydon corridor, there are no trains to Croydon via Forest Hill.

Bus only options are route 201 from Herne Hill via West Dulwich to Mitcham Tram Stop, or 118 from Brixton via Streatham to the ground. There's also the Northern Line Underground to Morden, then bus 118 from the station forecourt to the ground, or a walk of just over 1 mile.
Great rundown for travel, just to add it's rail replacement bus from Clapham Junction to Wimbledon on South Western Railway so advisable to use the other options.

Third time, I think. We played T&M in a pre-season friendly. Most notable for Hussein Siklawi scoring a worldie of a free kick inside the first minute and a really nasty clash of heads between Gyebi and Allen.

Great rundown for travel, just to add it's rail replacement bus from Clapham Junction to Wimbledon on South Western Railway so advisable to use the other options.
FFS! I didn't specifically check that bit! There seems to be a Network Rail conspiracy to stop us getting there.

Another option is to switch from Overground to Underground at Clapham High Street/Clapham North (officially an interchange with a short walk between stations, therefore counted as single contactless journey) then Northern Line to South Wimbledon and walk to Morden Road tram stop for Mitcham. Looking at the weather, I'll be pleasantly surprised if it isn't all irrelevant now.

Last edited:
GAME OFF!
Fairly predictable in the end. I'm not sure much at our level and below will survive today unless it's on a 3G pitch. Best option for anyone who wants a game looks to be Carshalton v Chatham. I don't normally watch other games in our own division, but I'm tempted by that one.

Hardly surprised. My Saturday games are all off. Loads of standing water on the pitches here on Clapham Common.

Of the local-ish alternatives on grass, most are already off but VCD v Deal has passed an inspection, while Cray Valley have just tweeted that they're "good to go" at home to Three Bridges after working hard on the pitch, but no mention that it's actually been passed fit by a referee. You've really got to keep checking and weigh up how reliable each club is in these situations, although it looks like the worst of the rain has now passed for the rest of the day.

If you’re really short of a game Clapton CFC have a friendly on the astroturf at Mabley Green. It’s close to Hackney Wick on the overground.

That was an entertaining afternoon, only slightly marred by watching a steward confiscate a tiny football off a child amd having to listen to the horrific abuse being dished out to the linesman by Chatham gammons.

So it was extra nice seeing Carshalton win 2-0. And what a lovely ground that is.

That was an entertaining afternoon, only slightly marred by watching a steward confiscate a tiny football off a child amd having to listen to the horrific abuse being dished out to the linesman by Chatham gammons.

So it was extra nice seeing Carshalton win 2-0. And what a lovely ground that is.
That steward was a right jobsworth. Those two lads were right in front of us and I hadn't even noticed them playing with their tiny rather flat looking ball.

Carshalton were much the better side in the first half and full value for their lead at the interval. The Chatham attack had only threatened sporadically until Chris Dickson came off the bench and almost hit a spectacular equaliser with a dipping volley from 30 yards that Aaron Jones tipped over the bar. When Chatham began piling on the pressure in the final 10 minutes there was an ominous feeling Carshalton would be punished for wasting a couple of decent chances to build on the lead, but in stoppage time they broke away from defending a corner and top scorer Bunmi Babajide chipped the keeper from the halfway line.

Back
Top Bottom