Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kingstonian v Hamlet - rescheduled for Weds evening, 20th March 2024

On the topic of the match: I wasn't there but it looked like a classic banana skin to me. Kingstonian are at a point now where they can chuck the kitchen sink at anyone they come up against bc they have nothing to lose. It was unfortunate to play them at this stage of the season, I think.

Can't help but feel a bit of complacency crept in last night, particularly after the big result v Lewes. The losses of JBW, CBB and, to a lesser extent, Clifton will have had an impact but that's still no excuse. There's a lot of experience in that side and they've not pressed home the advantage they created for themselves on Saturday.

My feeling is we're not quite ready for the play offs anyway. I mentioned to someone on Saturday that I feel like we have a good core of 9/10 players, but a few others just look ineffective. Scott, Parry, JBW, Mills, Jeffrey, Wanadio, Chambers, CBB, Krasniqi feel like a solid set of players who clearly match the way Hak likes to play, but when we lose one or two of them we look really stretched.

Ricketts' performances have picked up, but he was dogged by injuries at the start of the season; Hansson's not up to this level; Clifton has done very little for a man of his pedigree and experience; we pulled out the stops to sign Shonibare but he barely plays (presumably bc he's not fit?); too early to judge Hatfull and Deacon; Allen seems to get pressed into service only when we absolutely desperate (despite the fact I think he looks quite good!); Egan's vanished; Shokunbi doesn't effect the game enough; Constable is always at risk of dropping a clanger like he did by all accounts last night; I've only seen Tarh live once but I thought he looked ponderous.

I don't think you can go into the play offs with that many question marks in your squad and realistically expect to win. You might get lucky and sneak a couple of results, but I think you need everyone on song both now and in the play offs themselves and I don't think we are. Appreciate that I type all this despite the fact that our form is very good, but I just think there are some players who's contributions far outstrip others (take JBW and Scott for e.g.) Take some of those heartbeats out and suddenly we look a bit ordinary.

When's the transfer deadline again? I think we're crying out for two or three loans to zing things up a bit and give us a bit of depth. It may be too late now for new players to come in and settle and make significant contributions but if Hak is capable of getting people like Woodman at short notice then maybe we've still got a shot. But I think tbh the squad needs surgery in the summer to make it a real goer.

Was it just one person who said this? Perhaps we should all be more proactive in giving them a tap on the shoulder and a polite "we don't do that here" (Scolly's always very good at that, to his credit)
I think there was only a couple at most with the relentless bald bastard stuff with that occasionally being chucked in with it and yeah I think perhaps you’re right about having a word as we don’t want that seeming like it’s acceptable. Part of me wonders if it’s just the culture some people are used to from top flight football where you are just one of thousands but its impact is arguably even more obvious at this level and it really stands out for what it is.

I think there was only a couple at most with the relentless bald bastard stuff with that occasionally being chucked in with it and yeah I think perhaps you’re right about having a word as we don’t want that seeming like it’s acceptable. Part of me wonders if it’s just the culture some people are used to from top flight football where you are just one of thousands but its impact is arguably even more obvious at this level and it really stands out for what it is.
Yeah, I think it happens a lot for precisely that reason.

It also doesn't help that we're particularly well-known for taking the piss out of opposition goalkeepers, but a lot of daytrippers don't understand the difference between having a laugh with a witty shout, and straight-up yelling moronic abuse at a keeper.

On the positive side, on the occasions when I have had a word with someone, they normally just apologise, look sheepish and don't do it again.

On the topic of the match: I wasn't there but it looked like a classic banana skin to me. Kingstonian are at a point now where they can chuck the kitchen sink at anyone they come up against bc they have nothing to lose. It was unfortunate to play them at this stage of the season, I think.

Can't help but feel a bit of complacency crept in last night, particularly after the big result v Lewes. The losses of JBW, CBB and, to a lesser extent, Clifton will have had an impact but that's still no excuse. There's a lot of experience in that side and they've not pressed home the advantage they created for themselves on Saturday.

My feeling is we're not quite ready for the play offs anyway. I mentioned to someone on Saturday that I feel like we have a good core of 9/10 players, but a few others just look ineffective. Scott, Parry, JBW, Mills, Jeffrey, Wanadio, Chambers, CBB, Krasniqi feel like a solid set of players who clearly match the way Hak likes to play, but when we lose one or two of them we look really stretched.

Ricketts' performances have picked up, but he was dogged by injuries at the start of the season; Hansson's not up to this level; Clifton has done very little for a man of his pedigree and experience; we pulled out the stops to sign Shonibare but he barely plays (presumably bc he's not fit?); too early to judge Hatfull and Deacon; Allen seems to get pressed into service only when we absolutely desperate (despite the fact I think he looks quite good!); Egan's vanished; Shokunbi doesn't effect the game enough; Constable is always at risk of dropping a clanger like he did by all accounts last night; I've only seen Tarh live once but I thought he looked ponderous.

I don't think you can go into the play offs with that many question marks in your squad and realistically expect to win. You might get lucky and sneak a couple of results, but I think you need everyone on song both now and in the play offs themselves and I don't think we are. Appreciate that I type all this despite the fact that our form is very good, but I just think there are some players who's contributions far outstrip others (take JBW and Scott for e.g.) Take some of those heartbeats out and suddenly we look a bit ordinary.

When's the transfer deadline again? I think we're crying out for two or three loans to zing things up a bit and give us a bit of depth. It may be too late now for new players to come in and settle and make significant contributions but if Hak is capable of getting people like Woodman at short notice then maybe we've still got a shot. But I think tbh the squad needs surgery in the summer to make it a real goer.

I was going through in my head last night who should we keep for next season ....usually happens when feeling low after a game. I agree with your list but would add Constable. Yes he does take risks but I think he is a good strong keeper and particularly good at crosses and 1 on 1s. I would like to see more of Egan as he did look great a few years ago and if he gets a good preseason in

A lot of time spent on the subject of our supporters, must admit I didn't clearly hear the chants aimed at Tolfrey, but I must commend the Kingston massive (was it about 10 😜) who woke up in added in time and excelled themselves after the final whistle with "fuck off Dulwich"

Enjoy the Mickey Mouse football next season after your relegation 😁

Perhaps they felt emboldened to go a bit further after hearing the mass "you bald bastard" chants?

Highlight for me was seeing a goalkeeper wearing a proper goalkeepers kit. Not the pink, lilac, orange, yellow, multi-coloured shite others wear. He also stayed in his own penalty area when they were attacking! Plus, he made some excellent saves. My man of the match for his performance and classic kit. Take a bow Rob.
One of the best things about being a keeper is getting to wear a different outfit to all lookalikes out on the field. Much as do like my green CCFC top rather do have a love for my LGBT+ one with nods towards Lev Yashin’s all black kit.

Attachments

• IMG_2535_Original.jpeg
    IMG_2535_Original.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1047.jpeg
    IMG_1047.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 10
About ten years ago at Kingsmeadow. Believe he’d just lost his grandfather and one of the Bognor fans behind the goal said something inappropriate. Can’t recall the accurate outcome of the incident but think the Met Police wouldn’t press charges at the time.
That's basically correct. It's the incident I referred to.

Whilst I accept the fact he's an ex Hamlet player makes this even more appalling, the fact the gobshite probably wasn't at the game when we were is ultimately utterly irrelevant. He / they / whoever (due to where I live I wasn't there) chose to abuse a player over a DNA issue he has no control ove. Shocking.

But equally let's not get too sanctimonious. I remember us playing St Alban's shortly after their dad's goalkeeper died in a widely reported accident. The abuse was appalling. It doesn't matter whether it was the Rabble when there was twenty or so of us or now, it's unacceptable.

It’s just shite. Imo the simplest test of how decent a fanbase is to be around - both as a fan of that side or not - is how long they spend singing about their team / themselves rather than others. Spend half the game abusing the opposition keeper and you’re very much the wrong side of that.

Perhaps they felt emboldened to go a bit further after hearing the mass "you bald bastard" chants?

I'm not excusing anything that was said, but "mass chants" seems to be overstating the number of people concerned. I was on the terrace towards the corner at that end and all I noticed was one indistinct chant from directly behind the goal when he dawdled slightly over releasing the ball. It was uncalled for towards a former player who has never given any valid reason to dislike him, and has played well against us on enough occasions to deserve more respect. However, it can't have been more than half a dozen voices (if that) from well over 100 at that end. Maybe the acoustics of that ground with the flat roofs above big terraces make chanting sound louder from further away, but it certainly didn't sound as loud to me as the chants of "fuck off Dulwich" from the other end at the final whistle which were clearly audible from 100 yards away, even though your own photos show only 13 supporters plus 1 steward on that terrace during the second half.

Back
Top Bottom