Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kingstonian v Hamlet - rescheduled for Weds evening, 20th March 2024

Entertaining match for the neutral, unfortunately I'm not so frustrating to come away with nothing.

Constable cockup for the first, and with Wanadio blasting his pen over the bar with 5 mins to go, it was two big acts of self harm that we couldn't come back from.

Quite a few positives in individual performances, and plenty of shots on target, but Hamlet leave with no points to show for it.

I thought it was a poor performance which had been brewing for a few games as we seem to have stagnated going forward. Would be quite happy to snap up D"sane to add to our limited forward options. Actually despite his error for the first which had also been brewing all season , thouht Constable was our best player with a number of 1 on 1 saves

That was comically bad. Kingstonian looked dreadful and still didn't deserve to lose. Just got to hope that's a blip we needed to get out of our system.

A sloppy and lacklustre performance left us chasing the game against the worst side in the division. We hadn't really created anything before Constable handed Ks the lead on a plate after around 20 minutes, dallying on the ball beyond the penalty box, then losing it when their centre forward charged down his clearance and ran the ball into the empty net. Hamlet dominated the next twenty minutes without coming close to an equaliser before Ks first attack for some time yielded another goal after an initial shot from out wide had been blocked in the goalmouth. Our best attempts of the half came in the final few minutes with veteran keeper Rob Tolfrey, a regular for the Hamlet reserve and youth teams around 20 years ago, tipping a typical Mills header over the bar at full stretch.

As the second half wore on Ks dropped deeper and Hamlet took more risks with committing men forward, resulting in the odd hairy moment as we found ourselves stretched by the counterattack. There was still more than half an hour to go when we pulled one back. Wanadio, our liveliest attacker throughout, accelerated away from his marker and fired off a powerful shot from at least 25 yards that beat Tolfrey via the base of his right hand post. It's incredible there were no further goals after that. Our best chance came inside the last five minutes when Ks gangly right back stuck his hand up to block a goalbound header at point blank range for a blatant penalty. Given that he'd already been booked for a crude foul, he was very lucky not to be sent off, although it probably made no difference at such a late stage. Wanadio had confidently converted every previous penalty taken in our colours, but this time he scooped his kick well over the crossbar. There was still time to salvage a point but Tolfrey pulled off two crucial saves to thwart Wanadio and Parry.

I thought we had enough chances in the second half to have got at least a point but we can't really complain after Ks seized the initiative and punished a totally avoidable error for the first goal. Frankly we were humiliated by a team that looked a lot weaker than the one we beat at home last autumn, when we were struggling for form ourselves.

Our best chance came inside the last five minutes when Ks gangly right back stuck his hand up to block a goalbound header at point blank range for a blatant penalty.
I thought their gangly number 2 had a great game. I thought their goalie put in a good turn too.

Reactions: EDC
I thought their gangly number 2 had a great game. I thought their goalie put in a good turn too.
Nothing really to add to the PP summary.

Hak was sat near me and beyond words for how bad we were. I don’t think anybody saw that performance coming especially after the near faultless display that nullified Lewes.

I thought Michael Chambers had an ok game and everyone else should be embarrassed at their level of performance.

Handing poor sides a lead has been a Dulwich speciality for years and we didn’t disappoint.

Special mention to the 2 players busy having a mid season break in the sun for a meaningless friendly. Thanks for letting the club down, you showed how much playing for Dulwich means to you.

Unwise too. Rob jumped into the crowd and said hello to a fan who did that a few years back.

Rob was a nice lad, as was his dad, in his time with Hamlet. I believe he's now K's all time record appearance holder despite playing through COVID. That deserves respect. He's also a good keeper, in his pomp he was an excellent non-league keeper. K's gain was Hamlets loss when he switched clubs.

Shameful if it did happen.

Their gangly 2 got over excited about 5 mins before the penalty award and roared at the Hamlet fans to 'fuck off!'.

So it was very pleasing when he conceded the pen and he got a few well deserved pelters in return.

The script seemed like it had been written for us to get the equaliser and maybe go on to push for a win, but the usually calm Wanadio uncharacteristically blasted over.

Nothing really to add to the PP summary.

Hak was sat near me and beyond words for how bad we were. I don’t think anybody saw that performance coming especially after the near faultless display that nullified Lewes.

I thought Michael Chambers had an ok game and everyone else should be embarrassed at their level of performance.

Handing poor sides a lead has been a Dulwich speciality for years and we didn’t disappoint.

Special mention to the 2 players busy having a mid season break in the sun for a meaningless friendly. Thanks for letting the club down, you showed how much playing for Dulwich means to you.

I dont know whether you are right or wrong but it feels like a no-win position for them both.

Your position is easily one the national team manager could take and then they could find their national careers are over.

We all like to think that it should mean something to play for Dulwich but most non-league players have >15 clubs by the end of their career and I dont know why we are expecting it should mean more to them than playing for most other clubs.

Their gangly 2 got over excited about 5 mins before the penalty award and roared at the Hamlet fans to 'fuck off!'.

So it was very pleasing when he conceded the pen and he got a few well deserved pelters in return.

The script seemed like it had been written for us to get the equaliser and maybe go on to push for a win, but the usually calm Wanadio uncharacteristically blasted over.
I still liked him though. He showed more passion, energy and commitment than most of Hamlet's backfiring squad.

I dont know whether you are right or wrong but it feels like a no-win position for them both.

Your position is easily one the national team manager could take and then they could find their national careers are over.

We all like to think that it should mean something to play for Dulwich but most non-league players have >15 clubs by the end of their career and I dont know why we are expecting it should mean more to them than playing for most other clubs.

I've never been called up for international duty, so I don't know how easy I would find it to turn down the invitation, even for a "meaningless" match, so personally I'm not going to criticise the players for their choice.

The bottom line is it's a designated international window and presumably we knew these players were current internationals, and may be unavailable for several games this season, before we committed to signing them? Every other year for many years I've heard Premier League managers bleating about losing experienced players in January for the Africa Cup of Nations, and my first thought is always "don't bloody sign African international players if you don't like it". (Obviously it's a bit different if an English born and bred player with dual nationality unexpectedly gets called up and accepts.)

It's unfortunate their absence covers 3 of our fixtures, 2 of which would have been played already if our opponents' pitches were as weather resistant as our own.

Hatfull was signed to be first choice right back, so he should have been able to cover for CBB, who's been excellent in keeping him out of the XI in what is not his natural position. Clifton has largely been an understudy on the bench during our recent good form, although I guess he may have rotated with Mills last night. The biggest loss for me was JBW's injury, which could also have been covered by CBB if he was here.

I was still hoping to have enough spare cash to get to Bognor on Saturday, but I think last night's performance and result have probably made the decision for me.

I've never been called up for international duty, so I don't know how easy I would find it to turn down the invitation, even for a "meaningless" match, so personally I'm not going to criticise the players for their choice.

The bottom line is it's a designated international window and presumably we knew these players were current internationals, and may be unavailable for several games this season, before we committed to signing them? Every other year for many years I've heard Premier League managers bleating about losing experienced players in January for the Africa Cup of Nations, and my first thought is always "don't bloody sign African international players if you don't like it". (Obviously it's a bit different if an English born and bred player with dual nationality unexpectedly gets called up and accepts.)

It's unfortunate their absence covers 3 of our fixtures, 2 of which would have been played already if our opponents' pitches were as weather resistant as our own.

Hatfull was signed to be first choice right back, so he should have been able to cover for CBB, who's been excellent in keeping him out of the XI in what is not his natural position. Clifton has largely been an understudy on the bench during our recent good form, although I guess he may have rotated with Mills last night. The biggest loss for me was JBW's injury, which could also have been covered by CBB if he was here.

I was still hoping to have enough spare cash to get to Bognor on Saturday, but I think last night's performance and result have probably made the decision for me.
Strongly agree with this. Playing for their country should one of the highlights of any players' career, and is something romantic and magical that goes beyond simply earning a paycheck.

We trumpeted their international status when we signed them, and we should be proud to have internationals at our club. During an international window, it's entirely right for them to put their country first.

Highlight for me was seeing a goalkeeper wearing a proper goalkeepers kit. Not the pink, lilac, orange, yellow, multi-coloured shite others wear. He also stayed in his own penalty area when they were attacking! Plus, he made some excellent saves. My man of the match for his performance and classic kit. Take a bow Rob.

Attachments

• IMG_5080.jpeg
    IMG_5080.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 8
I have to ask: what were the worse versions?

It's good that the crowds are getting more vocal but I'd rather silence than stuff like this.
Fucking bald cunt was spat out a few times. I personally just don’t get it, the bloke had a fantastic game. Yeah he time wasting etc but who wouldn’t in their situation. I was actually glad to see some fans applauding his efforts at the end. Keepers will always get it from the away fans to some extent but swearing insults at them really is a thing for the past, I’d happily say those things to my mates but some poor sod pulling off endless saves for the bottom club in a rare win probably didn’t deserve it!

Fucking bald cunt was spat out a few times.
Truly shameful. What are we turning into?

When I saw Carshalton vs Chatham recently I decided to dislike the latter forever after hearing some hideous abuse thrown by some of their fans at the linesman - and it was pretty much the same as the above.

:(

From the Kingstonian fans forum:

That feeling when your team wins a game and climbs off the bottom of the table.

Then you remember that the bottom club has four games in hand on you, that you're still 12 or 13 points from safety and, even if you finish the season in 17th place or above, you'll be taking voluntary relegation anyway because your Chairman has agreed to groundshare in a cow field for the next two years.

And their match report: Strong defensive performance wins the K's all three points against the Hamlet - Latest News - Kingstonian Football Club

Pics!

In photos: It's a poor performance from Dulwich Hamlet as they lose to basement strugglers Kingstonian, Weds 20th March 2024

In photos: It's a poor performance from Dulwich Hamlet as they lose to basement strugglers Kingstonian, Weds 20th March 2024

Was it just one person who said this? Perhaps we should all be more proactive in giving them a tap on the shoulder and a polite "we don't do that here" (Scolly's always very good at that, to his credit)
Judging by the level of noise, the "bald bastard" shout was coming from a lot of people - I could hear it clearly from 40 yards away.

Fucking bald cunt was spat out a few times. I personally just don’t get it, the bloke had a fantastic game. Yeah he time wasting etc but who wouldn’t in their situation. I was actually glad to see some fans applauding his efforts at the end. Keepers will always get it from the away fans to some extent but swearing insults at them really is a thing for the past, I’d happily say those things to my mates but some poor sod pulling off endless saves for the bottom club in a rare win probably didn’t deserve it!
... and to a bloke that used to play for us, as well! He's a smashing fella is Tolfrey - he certainly doesnt deserve this shit from a bunch of johnny come latelys.

I know this came up in another thread (possibly Whitehawk?) about people not actually knowing about/engaging with the club. I appreciate that not everyone who comes along is gonna know who our players are, who we're playing, how many times we've won the Surrey Senior Cup etc - we were all in that position once - and that's fine, but then don't act like a gobby dickhead. I remember a similar incident happened last season v H&W when a section of the CH stand started booing Muhammadu Faal, another person who played for us and during the game even said 'I love Dulwich!' It just completely sours the atmosphere, partly through ignorance, partly through completely uneccessary aggression.

If they want to come along and support DHFC great, but at least have some humility first and understand what the place is all about before belching out nonsense like 'you bald cunt.' If they want to do that at a football match then they really should get themselves a Bromley season ticket instead.

Last edited:
Unwise too. Rob jumped into the crowd and said hello to a fan who did that a few years back.

Rob was a nice lad, as was his dad, in his time with Hamlet. I believe he's now K's all time record appearance holder despite playing through COVID. That deserves respect. He's also a good keeper, in his pomp he was an excellent non-league keeper. K's gain was Hamlets loss when he switched clubs.

Shameful if it did happen.
About ten years ago at Kingsmeadow. Believe he’d just lost his grandfather and one of the Bognor fans behind the goal said something inappropriate. Can’t recall the accurate outcome of the incident but think the Met Police wouldn’t press charges at the time.

and to a bloke that used to play for us, as well!
Gonna go out on a limb and say that whoever was yelling that bollocks won’t have been going nearly long enough to know that.

Although he will have been at Generic Club A’s games where you always boo all former players, so his behaviour is consistent at least.

Back
Top Bottom