Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamlet v Hastings United (Isthmian Premier) Saturday 12th October 2024

It rains on, like, one game a season. And everyone on Saturday seemed to muddle through ok with a rain jacket. The lack of cover has far more impact on the atmosphere than people's ability to stay dry.

But perhaps you got a special insight from your couch that I missed by being at the stadium.
So when you go to an away game, do you prefer to stand on an open terrace or under cover to make a noise and/or stay dry? I've got literally thousands of photos that would suggest most Hamlet fans make for the covered section.

And I was getting off the couch to watch Hamlet home and away long before you showed up so I think I'm entitled to hold an opinion contrary to yours.

(Apologies to johnny clash for continuing this discussion - I'm afraid the childish 'couch' comment triggered me a bit, but it will be my last contribution on the topic in this thread. Honest!)

If it doesn't start planning permission will lapse. The clock is ticking.

Given the changing rules around construction of residential property, the club could then face a much more serious issue than whether or not to construct more cover. An application to slap flats over the site of the proposed ground MIGHT become viable.

So when you go to an away game, do you prefer to stand on an open terrace or under cover to make a noise and/or stay dry? I've got literally thousands of photos that would suggest most Hamlet fans make for the covered section.

And I was getting off the couch to watch Hamlet home and away long before you showed up so I think I'm entitled to hold an opinion contrary to yours.

(Apologies to johnny clash for continuing this discussion - I'm afraid the childish 'couch' comment triggered me a bit, but it will be my last contribution on the topic in this thread. Honest!)
You're allowed to hold whatever opinion you like, though as always you don't like being challenged on it, or having to converse with people who don't share your opinion.

You also seem to think that everyone else has to agree with you and that the club should bend over backwards to do what you want, regardless of what the people who actually stand behind the goal every week might actually think.

But then again, clearly everyone who started going to games after you (when did the Brixton Buzz start writing about Dulwich Hamlet? 2013? Basically the Victorian age) is an arriviste who doesn't count as a real fan or contribute to the club, and you are the sole conduit of the spirit of Dulwich Hamlet Football Club.

To get back on topic - it's nice to see the team, not only winning, but also playing some attractive football too.

It's taken us over a year to get this point, but I suppose it shows the value of patience and incrementalism when it comes to building a strong squad (versus the perennial football supporter impulse to want to chop and change managers until scintillating title-winning football magically appears).

I managed to get off the couch long enough to post up these pics from Max:

Dulwich Hamlet sweep aside Hastings United to rise to 5th in the league, Sat 12th Oct 2024

Dulwich Hamlet sweep aside Hastings United to rise to 5th in the league, Sat 12th Oct 2024

Useful guide here, including on etymology. I've been sofa since the early 90s. Settee before then, with occasional uses of couch.

Sofa.com has the answers we need:

What is a sofa?​

A sofa is defined as an upholstered bench or seat featuring arms and a back, allowing people to sit comfortably. This is the most common word used nowadays to describe the comfy piece of furniture we all relax on in the living room.

What is a couch?​

The couch originated in French interior design in the 17th century, and consisted of a lounge seat with supports at both ends, but with no back support, unlike a sofa as we know it today. Instead, a couch was very similar to a traditional daybed or chaise longue. The name likely came from the french word coucher, meaning to sleep. The word couch is still widely used across the USA to describe a sofa.

What is a settee?​

The settee originated in the Middle Ages, and whilst it had a design more similar to the sofa as we know it, was typically made from wood, and typically featuring an elegant and intricately carved back.
And, crucially:
In terms of sofa, Mitford suggested that 'sofa' was the correct term, whilst 'couch' and 'settee' were the more pompous terms used by the aspiring middle class.

Back
Top Bottom