Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

King Crimson

KC played their last performance in Japan in December last year . Fripp at the time said after the concert had finished that the band had "moved from sound to silence .The gigs in Japan had been called The Completion Tour, they had previously announced on their American tour that they would not be returning.

Gavin Harrison one of the drummers ( he's currently playing again with Porcupine Tree) say that he doesn't know if it is the end of KC but realistically its a band in which
3 out of the 7 in the current line up are in their 70s and two are in their 60s . No doubt there may be some more music to come perhaps as KC , perhaps as partnerships, but I think its doubtful that the current line up ( which aside from Reiflins illness and death has pretty much been the same for the past 7 years or so ) that has done such an excellent job of representing their back catalogue is going to continue to do that.
Slackers - Marshall Allen is 98 and he still takes the Arkestra out on the road regularly

Interesting little side project

I discovered in Moscow in 1990-91 that King Crimson had a considerable influence on the Soviet underground rock scene. I was told that Boris Grebenshikov, the key figure in that scene, was a big fan. You could hear their influence in his band Aquarium, whose cassettes were often forced on me in those visits. They weren't at all bad, even if the lyrics were indecipherable for somebody with a fairly limited grasp of the language.

In cinemas in Ireland the UK April. Tickets in link below

Saw this tonight - highly recommended.

It has the feel of one of the best BBC4 music documentaries you could ever see, except that the cinematography makes it worth seeing on the big screen.

I do really like King Crimson, what I know of them (which is their most famous tracks) - but don't know enough of them to call myself a big fan. My partner is the big KC fan and the reason I saw it. But despite that I really enjoyed it - it's funny, moving and a good insight into how a band works.

(I got slight The Fall vibes in that Fripp appears extremely difficult to work with for many musicians and there has been a very fluid line-up over the years!)

This is a really good version of Starless from Meltdown -Live in Mexico . Its from Daily Motion so unfortunately its got ads on it

So the Fall did end up like King Crimson in the end. :D
I gradually came to realise that the Fall was basically a mix of Captain Beefheart and Van Der Graaf Generator, with punk overtones. The latter I once saw quoted as being King Crimson but more scary (or words to that effect.)

Can't help thinking of the Fall when I hear this, for example (I know it isn't classic VDGG).

Maybe it's just me, but I also see and hear Mark E in this

(Sorry to everybody, as I know it's supposed to be a King Crimson thread.)

Watched this today. A friend sent me a blu-ray DVD of it however I haven't a Blu-ray player so I downloaded a torrent instead. It's a great film, so great that I might just buy a blu-ray player to only play this again. Theres some real insights into the history of the band, some delightful moments including a nun, the delightfully poignant and funny Bill Rieflin and some cod philosophy from Fripp. I don't think we will ever see a band like this again with such an idiosyncratic musical output and one whose final ensemble played the whole catalogue to perfection as if somehow they were the sum of all their predecessors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom