Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

King Crimson

Divisive Cotton

Now I just have my toy soldiers
This is one band that have slipped under my radar so today I am listening to The 21st Century Guide to King Crimson, vol 1

Red is regarded as their greatest album so that's now in my playlist too

There's no doubt Robert Fripp is a musical genius but does King Crimson float your boat?

the two before Red are petty good too, iirr. Albeit suffering from the dreaded 'Prog Pretension Pox' with their titles, Larks Tongue In Aspic & Starless & Bible Black. Their return, with the marvellously sensibly titled Discipline is superb, my fave.

I have a few tracks on my ipod - an ex girlfriend once put a crimson track on a mix tape for me :cool: I think it was 'heartbeat'? I will listen to them again.

Crimson are a band of contrasts. IMO it's hard to believe the same band can produce a track with the delicate beauty of "Trio" from "Starless and Bible Black" and, on the next album, something as raw and brutal as the title track "Red."

I haven't heard any post '75 Crimson but I'm happy to take people's word for it if they say albums like "Discipline" are good.

discipline has more in common with the more groovy end of krautrock and post punk than the earlier stuff tbh. you should get it though - tis brilliant. i've heard the later stuff is still good too, although i've yet to check it out.

Loved Court of the Crimson King and Wake of Poseidon at the time but not heard them for years. Beat, Discipline and Three of a Perfect Pair are the ones i listen to now, three of my favourite albums in fact.

Robert Fripp is of course god, Bill Bruford's god too.

I think Robert is fantastic at what he does but it sucks .. a bit like Joe Satriani .. maaaan geezer looks like a rapist !

Court of the Crimson King & Larks Tongues in Aspic are the one's I have. Haven't played them for some time. Might do later. Thanks Urban :)

One of those bands that I'd see from time to time in Kerrrrang in the late 80s and thank gawd I was born slightly too late to get into that shite (so I thought then, with my thrash metal head on). Silly boy that I was.

I was the same purves, just about born when they were in full 70s flow and by the time I got around to listening to music properly it was all heavy and thrash metal for me, as well as punk, HC etc etc. Only really discovered the 70s in the 90s.

Nope don't really get them as they seem a bit too avaunt-guard although the musicianship is ace in the rhy section department I find a lot of their music to be over indulgent and inaccessible on the whole. I like Red though but a lot of it is pomp and boring. Bill Bruford is a great drummer and the bass player has quite a good voice but I'm not over keen on the production of the vocals on that album though the sound from Fripp's Les Paul Custom is unquestionably sublime.

Despite their different reincarnations and styles there is always something from each period that i have liked. Fripp's Soundscapes works , especially the one dedicated to his mother are well worth listening to.

There was a spin off band made up of a number of original members who toured doing their early stuff about ten years ago who were quite fun called 21st Century Schizoid band and there was also some ex members who formed the King Crimson Trio which was basically a drums , bass and piano jazz version of King Crimson tracks.

I've always liked them, since I first heard In the Court of the Crimson King, which is an ace album.

Not that into prog and wanky rock mostly, but every now and then they get stuck in my head.

Red is pretty ace too, but that awesome distortion from twenty-first century schizoid man wins it, phwoaaa. :cool:

I think "Trio" deserves another mention here, I'm playing it now;

If there's a better chillout track than this one (apart from perhaps the slow movement of Brahms's 2nd piano concerto), I don't know what it is.

It depends on the era of KC you're talking about. I love the earlier incarnation, but they got a bit funny in the 80's if you ask me - bought '3 of a perfect pair' and hated it. All that I had listened to up till then was Court of the Crimson King, and the two albums are very different. Red is my all time favourite album. Just beautiful. :cool:

def one of the best of the mainstream prog bands. used to cane their pre-discipline stuff in 2011/12. but would rather Miles' electric period these days, esp the live recordings. mtume and dejonette are better drummers, that's not an opinion! might wheel out larks tomorrow, if only for the title track. that shit is brutal.

Court of the Crimson King & Larks Tongues in Aspic are the one's I have. Haven't played them for some time. Might do later. Thanks Urban :)

Took me a while but I played them the other day. LTiA really suffers from a bad remaster, might have to hunt down a better version...

Bill Bruford's biography has some interesting insights on the Fripp Experience.

"Whatever you did before joining King Crimson was not how things are done in King Crimson."

Back
Top Bottom