Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kettle the MET

Semantics. That's the first thing we need to get right if we're to avert global catastrophe.

proably.

think on the terms and the meanings in todays society of fat free (contains lots of sugar) freash frozen (oxymoron) econmoic downturn (resession) resession (depression) collateral damage (murdering innocents) carbon ofsetting ( you still polute and damage as before so make no significant cahnge to your own polution but someone else who hasn't created polution sold you some of their theroetical polution (which is incredably non enviromentally damaging by way of not existing) to you to boost their profits) etc.

a semantic revolution would be a way to reclaim the language which after all defines our society into a codafied structure from the current double think sound bite in effectual situation we find ourselves in now.

until we learn to use the lanague more effectively and stop it businesses will still talk of effency as being sharing the same size pie with fewer people and the fattest at the feast will get the biggest slices. which in turn has lead us to the global catastrophe we find ourselves in.

That made me chuckle coming from you. :D

And yes, I know you're dyslexic and you'll take offense at that but I've seen posts that you spellchecked and made sense.

beleive me the irony isn't lost although clear use of language would only help those with my condition too so it's gains all round.

we need some anti kettling songs

I just maded this one up.

let us march let us march under sunny skies above
don't kettle us in
Let us protest in the wide open city that we love
Don't kettle us in!

proably.

think on the terms and the meanings in todays society of fat free (contains lots of sugar) freash frozen (oxymoron) econmoic downturn (resession) resession (depression) collateral damage (murdering innocents) carbon ofsetting ( you still polute and damage as before so make no significant cahnge to your own polution but someone else who hasn't created polution sold you some of their theroetical polution (which is incredably non enviromentally damaging by way of not existing) to you to boost their profits) etc.

a semantic revolution would be a way to reclaim the language which after all defines our society into a codafied structure from the current double think sound bite in effectual situation we find ourselves in now.

until we learn to use the lanague more effectively and stop it businesses will still talk of effency as being sharing the same size pie with fewer people and the fattest at the feast will get the biggest slices. which in turn has lead us to the global catastrophe we find ourselves in.

You know what? You have a point.

I'm not sure it should be our TOP priority right now (!), but you definitely have a point.

I'm definitely up for this, but shouldn't we be targeting the City of London police as opposed to the Met. I thought the whole G20 demonstrations fell under their jurisdiction.

According to the film Fight Club modern bombs don't tick, they vibrate. Why not send the pigs a big fuck off dildo and tell them where to shove it?
i have a spare :cool:

"Yes, Marjorie?"
"It's another Kettle, Sir"
"What kind?"
"A 20th century electric kettle, with it's plug cut off, probably unsafe to use, Sir"
"And what do you suppose that means, Marjorie?"
"I suppose that's what the sender thinks of the kettle tactic, Sir"

"Yes, Marjorie?"
"Another?"
"They've written "cunts" on it too sir"
"I suppose the sender thinks we're cunts, Sir"
"Cunts, Marjorie?"
"Cunts, Sir."

"Yes, Marjorie?"
"What kind is it this time?"
"An early 19th century copper one, Sir"
"I suppose the sender thinks we're not quite as modern a police force as we claim to be, Sir"

i have been CRYING with laughter at those bits of this thread :D

we need some anti kettling songs

I just maded this one up.

let us march let us march under sunny skies above
don't kettle us in
Let us protest in the wide open city that we love
Don't kettle us in!

and i have been practicing singing that...

excellent idea.

But those are two different areas, with Central, Fife, Tayside, and Grampian in between, no less.

and the city of london police cover the square mile and the met cover the rest.

anyway there were police from both forces (and other forces too, i think) at the demonstration.

who was in charge of the policing?

I'm definitely up for this, but shouldn't we be targeting the City of London police as opposed to the Met. I thought the whole G20 demonstrations fell under their jurisdiction.
They agreed a joint command structure after the City was too territorial over J18, the Met is in charge, the operation was run by Commander Bob Broadhurst.

The Met, City and the British Transport police were all present at the kettle. (one of the BTP had a Heddlu (welsh for police) hi-vis on?!?)

although I understand they like kettles I am currently right out of kettles, so here’s a toaster instead and I hope they like toasting as much as kettleing. :)

I think I'll see if I can get away with a slight address change too:

Metropolitan Police Service
FREEPOST
New Scotland Yard
Broadway
London
SW1H 0BG

:D You made me laugh out loudly with that post, cheered me right up after a stressful day at work.

Its a bit of fun really whilst making a serious point. The MET had their riotous fun on april fools day, this is a good peaceful way to show our displeasure at the over enthusiastic tactics that they imply. :D

edit to add: just to bump to the top also :)

You know what? You have a point.

I'm not sure it should be our TOP priority right now (!), but you definitely have a point.
it's a bit like the old should the revolution include womens rights as a top level priority from inception or after the revolution most current thinking says after the revolution but for both the semantic and feminism issues have to be central principals from the get go in order that that process isn't ineffectual or goes off with ideals which are contray to those of all invested elements or asepcts which you'd like to achive within the revolution...

can't be done afterwards you might be relying on some piece of double think to impalment an idea or change... and that doesn't lead to a better society,
I respectfully suggest that actually Codafiying our language before a revolution so that it's clear from the offset as to our terminology and descriptors is probably one of the highest priorities of any such action.

however, granted it's accepted that this doens't pull us entirely out of the shit fest we are currently in without associated and surrounding actions which change the status quo...

it's a bit like the old should the revolution include womens rights as a top level priority from inception or after the revolution most current thinking says after the revolution but for both the semantic and feminism issues have to be central principals from the get go in order that that process isn't ineffectual or goes off with ideals which are contray to those of all invested elements or asepcts which you'd like to achive within the revolution...

can't be done afterwards you might be relying on some piece of double think to impalment an idea or change... and that doesn't lead to a better society,
I respectfully suggest that actually Codafiying our language before a revolution so that it's clear from the offset as to our terminology and descriptors is probably one of the highest priorities of any such action.

however, granted it's accepted that this doens't pull us entirely out of the shit fest we are currently in without associated and surrounding actions which change the status quo...

I see what you mean, and on a broader scale agree. It alarms me though, when petty divisions occur. The left's greatest enemy is often the left, thus these petty divisions set off split alarms in my head.

In general though, you're right. The foundations must be strong, and our ability to communicate accurately with each other is therefore paramount. I should know better really; I know how powerful language can be, and how it can be used and abused. The media's successful oviseration of the public is testament to that.

Ah, I see.

That seems odd, but presumably an historical anomaly?

No, it's not an anomaly, it's a function of the City of London being a separate entity to London the city, with it's own corporation and governance. IIRC their charter states that they have the right to their own police force, bound by UK law.
The City of London police is also probably still the greatest bastion of Freemasonry this side of the channel. More lodges per square mile than even Scottish cities have. :)

I think I'll see if I can get away with a slight address change too:

Metropolitan Police Service
FREEPOST
New Scotland Yard
Broadway
London
SW1H 0BG

How about another slight change to:
Metropolitan Police Service,
FREEPOST 3-21-14-20-19,
New Scotland Yard,
Broadway,
London,
SW1H 0BG.

In case you're wondering, the (made-up) FREEPOST licence number is standard alpha-numeric code. :)

No, it's not an anomaly, it's a function of the City of London being a separate entity to London the city, with it's own corporation and governance. IIRC their charter states that they have the right to their own police force, bound by UK law.
With respect, I'd say that what you describe was, by definition, an example of an historical anomaly.

:)

They agreed a joint command structure after the City was too territorial over J18, the Met is in charge, the operation was run by Commander Bob Broadhurst.

the TSG were being openly contempuous of poor old city plod at one point

whilst the tsg were changing the boe contingent over london bridge, city plod were chasing teenagers round back streets with dogs and generally being run ragged by a bunch of jeering kids

Has anyone actually sent a kettle yet?

Or is this a good/funny protest that has fallen flat on its face?

Only I’ve not been near a Post Office the last few days, but I have my old toaster in a box ready to go, I am thinking of sticking a bottle of tomato sauce in with it, extending the covering letter to read:

I understand you like kettles, but I am currently right out of kettles, so here’s a toaster instead and I hope you like toasting as much as kettleing.

I also understand some of your officers like blood too, which being a Jehovah Witness I can’t help you with, but I enclose some tomato sauce instead in the hope that this could reduce their lust for blood and maybe save a life.

How about another slight change to:
Metropolitan Police Service,
FREEPOST 3-21-14-20-19,
New Scotland Yard,
Broadway,
London,
SW1H 0BG.

In case you're wondering, the (made-up) FREEPOST licence number is standard alpha-numeric code. :)

Good idea batman. :)

and the city of london police cover the square mile and the met cover the rest.

anyway there were police from both forces (and other forces too, i think) at the demonstration.

who was in charge of the policing?

yep, i saw plod from Hampshire and Sussex too

whilst the tsg were changing the boe contingent over london bridge, city plod were chasing teenagers round back streets with dogs and generally being run ragged by a bunch of jeering kids
They have their own City TSG now, they were the ones with tasers out at Thursday's raids.

Back
Top Bottom