Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kettle the MET

I do seem to have missed the point of posting kettles to the police.

Apart from breaking the back of the postman delivering them, why would you want to post a kettle to the police? What's it all about (Alfie)?

I do seem to have missed the point of posting kettles to the police.

Apart from breaking the back of the postman delivering them, why would you want to post a kettle to the police? What's it all about (Alfie)?

The police practise of keeping people locked into a corner for hours without letting them even go to the toilet is known as kettling .

This article explains it.

Would be nice if it resulted in thousands of kettles being sent as they'd probably have to get the bomb squad to open them all very very carefully. :)

The police practise of keeping people locked into a corner for hours without letting them even go to the toilet is known as kettling .

This article explains it.

Thanks for that link, the picture at the head of the article is awful. I cannot imagine how there is any justification for the actions of the police.

Even though Portugal is a former right wing dictatorship this type of action would not be considered acceptable at any level. Indeed, talking to students, all of whom are too young to have first hand knowledge of the dictatorhip, but all of whom have parents and grandparents who do remember it well, I am often surprised by how discusted they are that the UK allows such violence by the police. They are also shocked by the lack of civil liberties and freedoms in the UK, regularly saying that they thought Portugal was bad, but can see that the UK is in many ways worse.

I wonder how much it will cost to post a kettle to the UK?

Want to send one from down under, but i have to produce ID
and add my name and address to parcels when i send anything to the UK

Would be nice if it resulted in thousands of kettles being sent as they'd probably have to get the bomb squad to open them all very very carefully. :)

Very good point, but I haven’t got an old kettle to send them. :(

Oh, hang on a minute, I’ve got an old knackered toaster – I think I’ll send that with a covering letter explaining that although I understand they like kettles I am currently right out of kettles, so here’s a toaster instead and I hope they like toasting as much as kettleing. :)

I think I'll see if I can get away with a slight address change too:

Metropolitan Police Service
FREEPOST
New Scotland Yard
Broadway
London
SW1H 0BG

Feel free to include unwanted alarm clocks in the package. Ticking ones:)

Which would bring discredit to the Kettle the MET protest, because it's about protesting the kettling, not about scaring the postie or the police into thinking bombs are being sent through the post.

Whose side are you on? :mad:

Which would bring discredit to the Kettle the MET protest, because it's about protesting the kettling, not about scaring the postie or the police into thinking bombs are being sent through the post.

Whose side are you on? :mad:

Anyone who took me seriously and did so would be a fucking idiot.

Are you saying that you won't bear any responsibility?

of course I wouldn't. If I make a flippant post and someone else takes me at face value and does as I suggested, then it's not my fault is it? I cannot be responsible for other peoples stupidity. Just my own.

Unfortunately, it's how other people & organisations would "spin" what's essentially a humorous protest into something a lot less so..

Disposing of your old kettle in an environmentally friendly way is difficult. Since the police seem to like kettles so much help them out by sending your old kettle to:

Metropolitan Police Service
New Scotland Yard
Broadway
London
SW1H 0BG

Pass the idea on to anyone you know who has an old kettle they want to get rid of or who wants to protest against police tactics. A few thousand kettles should restrict their mobility somewhat.

Wow! Oh do fuck off.

:rolleyes:

So an idiotic suggestion you made in public, which if acted on by idiots could in ruin the message of the KETTLE THE MET Direct Action, has nothing to do with you, despite it being your 'flippant' suggestion?
If you wanted to ruin the this Direct Action, then that would be one way to do it.

The pre-digital clock activated bomb times of the 1970s have called to say that even they know that ‘ticking clocks’ are not used in bombs nowadays. :)

So, vibrators it is then?

No. Just send a picture of a Kettle or if you can afford the post then send an old kettle to the Met. ;)

Else maybe you could set up a different protest calling for people to link sexual pleasure to violence in your fantastically thought-out call to send 'Vibrators to the Met' :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom