Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

July 4 1990 - where were you?

belboid

Exasperated, not angry.
That was the last time England were in a World Cup semifinal.

As mentioned on another thread (The Thread That Shalt Not Be Named) I was somewhat ABEish in 1990. To the extent that on the night of the match, I was introducing a political meeting discussing the lessons of the Iranian revolution of 1979. Only two people walked out as extra time beckoned, so I think I did fairly well, considering.

And you?

That was the last time England were in a World Cup semifinal.

As mentioned on another thread (The Thread That Shalt Not Be Named) I was somewhat ABEish in 1990. To the extent that on the night of the match, I was introducing a political meeting discussing the lessons of the Iranian revolution of 1979. Only two people walked out as extra time beckoned, so I think I did fairly well, considering.

And you?

:D

I know I watched it in the Silver Cross pub on Whitehall with some guys from work (we worked nearby) but that's about all I remember.

Umm. I think my sister wanted to watch the football (she was home from uni having picked up some odd ideas). And I was doing something in the living room, whereby I could only see the match from an odd angle. I think that was the match. It was the Gazza crying one.

Haringey, North London. We were young, probably beered up and in the main, focussed on Ireland's efforts that tournament. The one thing that I do remember is the next day, for some reason, there were a lot of German cars around that had their symbols/hood ornaments missing.

I imagine it was a Beastie Boys thing.

In 1990 I wasn't interested in football. I have no idea where I was nor what I was doing. I wasn't married, although I'd met the woman who became my wife, I was teaching at the local university/college, I was happy.

And Why Not? gig at Birmingham Irish Centre. It was the first time my mate and I had been allowed to get a train into Brum and go to something by ourselves. They showed the match before the gig which somewhat backfired when everyone was absolutely gutted.

Cartoons, a little pub in reading that was the centre of the rave scene at the time. They had a little TV at the end of the bar, next to the pot luck quiz machine. Everyone was gutted at the end so we all took some acid.

I was in the Bristol Tavern on Stokes Croft with a bunch of friends. After the game, we went clubbing and one of my friends got into a fight and we were thrown out.

Good times.

I was in West Berlin and in no mood to watch the game having dropped a big fuck off bit of the Berlin Wall on my foot that morning. I spent the evening drinking in a bar just off the kurfestendamm and was invited to several parties to celebrate the result but declined

I was in the Bristol Tavern on Stokes Croft with a bunch of friends. After the game, we went clubbing and one of my friends got into a fight and we were thrown out.

Good times.
Oddly enough, Bristol Tavern followed by joining the semi-violent angry idiots march around town trying to get it to kick off against the police, then to the same club as you - which was, i think, the twee indie Kandi Klub running that night then a drinking party in Cotham which turned very heavy very quickly. So a varied night.

Oddly enough, Bristol Tavern followed by joining the semi-violent angry idiots march around town trying to get it to kick off against the police, then to the same club as you - which was, i think, the twee indie Kandi Klub running that night then a drinking party in Cotham which turned very heavy very quickly. So a varied night.
sounds like quite a decent night

In a pub in a West London suburb. The previous games had been great to watch, I particularly remember Platt's winner against Belgium and it wasn't just the beer and glasses going in the air, I remember jumping up and down and realising the tables were doing the same.

As for the semi, that was totally gutting, I never thought I'd ever see England get that far again and I was so disappointed it was the last game I saw in that tournament, I couldn't bear to watch the Germans win and the 3rd place play off was pointless.

But here we are again....:)

In a pub in a West London suburb. The previous games had been great to watch, I particularly remember Platt's winner against Belgium and it wasn't just the beer and glasses going in the air, I remember jumping up and down and realising the tables were doing the same.

As for the semi, that was totally gutting, I never thought I'd ever see England get that far again and I was so disappointed it was the last game I saw in that tournament, I couldn't bear to watch the Germans win and the 3rd place play off was pointless.

But here we are again....:)
The Belgium match I watched in the boozer with just one mate, Chris Tuna - everyone else I knew stayed in. Was dreading penalties but Chris confidently announced "we're gonna score now" as he placed two fresh pints on the table. Needless to say David Platt owes us a pint each. Was weird, only me and him were going nuts whereas everyone else in the pub - admittedly a Goth and indie pub - were studiedly dismissive of the whole idea of football and didn't react.

In a pub on the tail end of an impromptu dole funded afternoon session . Portable telly behind the bar next rack of peanut bags showing a half naked woman partially exposed. The beer may even have been the famed Newcastle bright - a lagered ale that refused to shift

A mate began to cry. I was leathered.We moved onto another pub without a telly.

A glorious evening

Back
Top Bottom