Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jobs for a Fit Retiree

D'wards

IT'S YOUR DECISION DANIEL
My old fella has just had forced redundancy/retirement put upon him. He is a young 65 in pretty good condition, and is quite handy.

He was a manager of maintanence men (having worked his way up) on Bovington Army Base (they needed to reduce the managers from 7 to 4) and he wasn't ready to retire but didn't wanna deporive another man of a job, then retire in a couple of years time anyway.

I think he'll be bored and doesn't want to get under the feet of his wife, also retired though in her 50s.

Any ideas for a job he can get? I suggested B&Q/Homebase as they love an oldie there - reliable plus lots of knowledge. But only one B&Q within easy driving distance in Weymouth.

I also though maybe put advert in for handyman in local paper - flat packs, shelves, simple painting etc. He has quite a fancy BMW though so might have to get a little runaround for ladders and tools, if needed.

Any ideas?

Day 3 of retirement, he's done the gardening, cleared the garage, and used his bus pass to get to town.

Are there any charities local that need drivers etc, Help the Aged are regular recruiting around here.
Also some firms are quite happy to have retired maintenance workers on part time for cleaning, painting, general building maint.

The bloke who does the maintenance handyman stuff at our work site (offices and warehouse) is past retirement age. He does fencing too and seems always to have more work on than he can handle (this is in Glos, maybe similar area profile?).

Are there any charities local that need drivers etc, Help the Aged are regular recruiting around here.
Also some firms are quite happy to have retired maintenance workers on part time for cleaning, painting, general building maint.
I think Hopsitals use drivers for transporting patients (non urgent) one of my tenants was one for a while and she was a pensioner - although they took her licence off her in the end for health reasons

Military strongman
Victorian strongman
Body_6.Strongman-in-50s.jpg

Sainsburys/Tescos are both pretty good at taking on retirees. If he wants to keep fit working on the produce department is not bad for that.

If he has maintenance skills and diagnostic skills and it doesn't interfere with any pension he'll make a fortune just doing the stuff nobody else will touch.It's fucking hard to find someone who can sort out those little technical problems most people have.I did it for a few years and you'd be surprised how grateful people are to have those wrinkles sorted out.There is a endless amount of work for people with handy person and people skills out there.He may end up being a handy person/social worker but it's a very rewarding way to fill up the space between birth and death.

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas.

I think handyman might be the best option, as I reckon he'd like his weekends free too. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mind you, in my stepmum's family he is the resident handyman for free - they live over the country so if they go and stay for the weekend at her brother, mother or sister's he is always told to bring his toolbox and gets a bit sick of it - but that's cos he always worked fulltime and that was his weekend. Doing it for cash on a rainy Tuesday when you have nowt else going on will be right up his alley.

Is he any good with kids? One of the granddads at my daughter's school does picking up kids and looking after them at their house until parents get home, which I thought was a pretty good arrangement for a healthy retiree.

Back
Top Bottom