Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jesus Myth Theory

Why did Allah, Moses and Christ all come from a relatively small part of the Middle East? It’s clearly bollocks. We’re all going to die, meaning in life is entirely subjective and that’s about it.
Well it can certainly be argued that we don't need religion to guide us with ethics etc and yes it's all made up stuff. But at the same time, alot of people in the world are religious and I think it's good to have knowledge about religion rather than to not. I can kinda understand if people are interested in other things though.

One thing which gets overlooked is just how many billions of believers, of whatever faith, are blissfully unaware of many of the things which they supposedly believe in. Their leaders are quite happy with that. As long as they pay their dues, turn up for devotion and perform the necessary rites, the religious authorities aren't too bothered. If they were bothered and inquired too deep they would soon discover a well of unintentional heresy.

One thing which gets overlooked is just how many billions of believers, of whatever faith, are blissfully unaware of many of the things which they supposedly believe in. Their leaders are quite happy with that. As long as they pay their dues, turn up for devotion and perform the necessary rites, the religious authorities aren't too bothered. If they were bothered and inquired too deep they would soon discover a well of unintentional heresy.
The reality is that within religious groups the focus is on orthopraxy rather than orthodoxy: it's the rites and rituals that bind people in worshipping communities together not credal statements

Well it can certainly be argued that we don't need religion to guide us with ethics etc and yes it's all made up stuff. But at the same time, alot of people in the world are religious and I think it's good to have knowledge about religion rather than to not. I can kinda understand if people are interested in other things though.
Yes, it's interesting to study religion and its history. Religious conflict has played a huge part in the history of the UK.

More often gang warfare, with religion supplying the badges and costumes imo.
A more upper-class and po-faced version of football hooliganism.
I agree with this. Some bourgeois quarrel where religion draws the geopolitical lines of battle rather than being about religion. Although the Crusades were very much about being a culture war as much as spreading neoliberal 'freedom' is nowadays.

I agree with this. Some bourgeois quarrel where religion draws the geopolitical lines of battle rather than being about religion. Although the Crusades were very much about being a culture war as much as spreading neoliberal 'freedom' is nowadays.

Yeah, definitely about cultural hegemony and suchlike, but I’m sceptical about the idea of serious bloodletting really happening over whether a cracker literally turned into the body of Christ.

There's no doubt that profession or posturing, and political advancement have much to answer for in many horrors.

Bollocks, the crusades were almost entirely about controlling the trade routes between the then richest and most important markets (Central Asia, Persia, India and of course China) and the smaller but up and coming Europe, The god stuff was just a cover. i doubt most of the knights and men at arms valued it higher than the money they were making.

Bollocks, the crusades were almost entirely about controlling the trade routes between the then richest and most important markets (Central Asia, Persia, India and of course China) and the smaller but up and coming Europe, The god stuff was just a cover. i doubt most of the knights and men at arms valued it higher than the money they were making.
Well yeah, there's always an ulterior motive. Similarly to NI where religion was always painted as a factor but it was about creating an obvious divide in the region using religion as the battle lines of us and them.

It’s always fundamentally about money. Thing is I’m well paid (currently) but have never in my life been motivated by money (above paying the rent and having some money for a couple of normal nights out a week). The god stuff, religion,etc. Just about power and money. Looking at the immaculate wealth and grandeur of the Vatican always reminds me. Or pretty much the inside of any church. I love the inside of churches. Amazing structures. But do they carry the message of the humble rabbinical scholar? Nope.

If memory serves the dispute between the Abrahamic religions is who’s the messiah right? Judaism doesn’t think he’s turned up yet, Christianity’s money is on The Christ figure and Islam’s is on Mohammed. But it’s how many angels on the head of a pin right? It’s all bollocks.

The Israelite-‘Samaritans’ don’t have a messiah but a ‘restorer’ (Taheb). Less apocalyptic.

Last edited:
Hey! Christians have a restorer too.

170px-Attempted_restoration_of_Ecce_Homo.jpg

The conflicts and wars sparked by the reformation were very much driven by passionately held religious beliefs. Religion, power and politics were deeply interconnected.

The conflicts and wars sparked by the reformation were very much driven by passionately held religious beliefs. Religion, power and politics were deeply interconnected.

They were driven by a marriage/heir/dynasty concern of a violent autocrat.

The Reformation happened all over the place, not just in Henry VIII's England.

and was still driven by a strong protestant movement in England - especially in London. thousands of copies of Tyndals banned English language bible were being smuggled into the country and their were many powerful protestant minded people such as cromwell and cramner who were able to use Henrys desire for a divorce to push him towards a break with Rome.

Rome and Roman Catholicism was and still is political. It's endurance (hopefully without pointing to any conclusions) is extraordinary.

Yeah, definitely about cultural hegemony and suchlike, but I’m sceptical about the idea of serious bloodletting really happening over whether a cracker literally turned into the body of Christ.
By forcing you to agree to accept something that is absurd, those in power are able to control you.

By forcing you to agree to accept something that is absurd, those in power are able to control you.
Well yeah, there's always an ulterior motive. Similarly to NI where religion was always painted as a factor but it was about creating an obvious divide in the region using religion as the battle lines of us and them.
The conflict in the North of Ireland was/is about national identity. Religious labels are shorthand indicators of national identity.

For a while, anyway. What usually happens is that they are forcing people to pretend to accept something that is absurd, which has a shorter shelf life, historically speaking.

Back
Top Bottom