Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Japanese whale poaching vessel, Nisshin Maru, rams Sea Shepherd vessels

teqniq

DisMembered
This is pretty nuts:

The SSS Bob Barker and SSS Steve Irwin have been rammed by the Japanese whaling fleet’s massive factory vessel, the Nisshin Maru. The floating slaughter-house is eight times the mass of the Steve Irwin.

The Bob Barker and the Steve Irwin were behind Sun Laurel, Steve Irwin on portside, Bob Barker on starboard.

On loudspeaker, the Shonan Maru No. 2 ordered Sea Shepherd’s Australian flagged ship, the SSS Sam Simon, which is located in the Australian Antarctic Territory, to leave the area on the orders of the Government of Japan. Concussion grenades were thrown at the Bob Barker and the Steve Irwin by the crew of the Nissin Maru....

news-130220-EM-20-NisshinRamsBobSteamFromWatercanon-20-300x200.jpg

par for the course, unfortunately.

I note that the nissin maru then left the area.......leaving the sun laurel without safety gear (unalbe to launch her lifeboats)

I note that the nissin maru then left the area.......leaving the sun laurel without safety gear (unalbe to launch her lifeboats)
Info is a bit hard to come by but it appears they couldn't complete the refuelling and have called the hunt off at least temporally,the fuel ship and factory ship also appear to have collided with possible fuel spill.Refuelling is also apparently illegal at that latitude.

Long time since I read any maritime law, but I'm not surprised the Japanese ship cheesed it. IIRC they'd be subject to Australian maritime law, and liable to have their ship seized (or, as the Canucks sometimes do, scuttled) for deliberately causing damage to other vessels.

The crew of the Nisshin Maru must have known that Greenpeace ships always come equipped with cameras to record what goes on. Did they really think this would be a private matter just because it was out in the remote seas of the Antarctic? However those Greenpeace people take some massive risks and must be as hard as nails.

The crew of the Nisshin Maru must have known that Greenpeace ships always come equipped with cameras to record what goes on. Did they really think this would be a private matter just because it was out in the remote seas of the Antarctic? However those Greenpeace people take some massive risks and must be as hard as nails.
Apologies for slight pedantry but it's Sea Shepherd not Greenpeace. From their site that I linked to earlier:

Who We Are
Sea Shepherd's Mission Statement
Established in 1977, Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (SSCS) is an international non-profit, marine wildlife conservation organization. Our mission is to end the destruction of habitat and slaughter of wildlife in the world's oceans in order to conserve and protect ecosystems and species.

Sea Shepherd uses innovative direct-action tactics to investigate, document, and take action when necessary to expose and confront illegal activities on the high seas. By safeguarding the biodiversity of our delicately-balanced ocean ecosystems, Sea Shepherd works to ensure their survival for future generations.

It's actually 3 boats of theirs involved in that action. Maybe they would like bigger boats though, who knows? As a charity I reckon they're doing pretty well to field the ones that they have.

They should probably get a bigger boat.
It might be a bit expensive to buy a boat as big or even near to the size of a whaling factory ship. I think they mainly use the manoeuvrability of their boats to get in among the whalers to disrupt their catching activity. There is not a lot they could do to a factory ship that would help the whales. The Japanese claim that their whaling is purely for scientific research - ho hum. Strange that a bit of pure research requires the ramming of other ships.

The shonan maru 2 also rammed the ady gil last year when it was dead in the water out of fuel (iirc). The ady gil sunk, but everyone survived.

The skipper Pete Bethune then boarded the shonan maru 2 during the night to issue the captain with a bill for the ady gil and he was held on the shonan maru 2 and taken back to japan and given a suspended sentence.

Googling it seems that the ady gil owners now have a lawsuit out against sea shepherd saying Pete Bethune was ordered to scuttle the ship and to create sympathy for the TV show.

How you quite organise it so a japanese ships (your sworn enemy) rams your dead in the water boat (it looks pretty dead in the water to me) and risk the lives of 5 or 6 crew who are still on the ady gil to raise sympathy for your cause, I'm not quite sure tbh.

From what I remember from the show Pete Bethune hand built the ady gil, and I imagine is understandably upset he's lost his boat, and trying to claim the money to get a new one from anywhere he can......

But if it was a purposeful ram by the japanese its looking like they're getting a bit of a reputation for it.

I have been on that Ady Gil boat. At the time it was called Earthrace and was moored in Torquay harbour to get publicity for its proposed fastest circumnavigation of the Earth. It was silver colour and with its strange curled trimaran 'wings' looked very futuristic. I didn't know until a few minutes ago that it had subsequently been painted black and renamed for use with the Sea Shepherd project. I always wondered what had happened to it.

I have been on that Ady Gil boat. At the time it was called Earthrace and was moored in Torquay harbour to get publicity for its proposed fastest circumnavigation of the Earth. It was silver colour and with its strange curled trimaran 'wings' looked very futuristic. I didn't know until a few minutes ago that it had subsequently been painted black and renamed for use with the Sea Shepherd project. I always wondered what had happened to it.

Im pretty sure it got the record for the fastest circumnavigation of the earth.

Yes, it seems pretty stupid. They're really just giving Sea Shephard the club to beat them with.

Anyone know if "Nisshin" means "stingray." ;)

From the point of view of the Japanese, what should they do?

They don't see an issue with catching whales, and yet they are being actively prevented from doing so by the Sea Shepherd lot.

If someone is trying to go about their business, and you keep deliberately getting in their way, why act all surprised if they turn violent and do everything in their power to make you f*** off?

They are trying to earn their living - it is not a game to them.

Giles..

They don't see an issue with catching whales, and yet they are being actively prevented from doing so by the Sea Shepherd lot.

If someone is trying to go about their business, and you keep deliberately getting in their way, why act all surprised if they turn violent and do everything in their power to make you f*** off?

Giles..
do you apply this to your own tenants anger and possible retribution when you put their rent up or fail to carry out repairs

oh and the answer is to obviously stop whaling

or at the least, don't endanger others whilst doing it

Giles..
You just love sticking up for cunts cause you're a cunt.

The "research" bollocks is completely spurious as most of the meat ends up for sale and a large proportion of that ends up unsold because it's known to be high in mercury and hasn't been a fashionable food for a long time.

do you apply this to your own tenants anger and possible retribution when you put their rent up or fail to carry out repairs

I don't see what my business has to do with this issue! I am just pointing out that if two groups of people are trying to achieve opposing objectives, neither should be surprised if violence ensues, especially in the absence of any third party authority.

They've come all that way and spent a lot of money to catch some whales. They just see the Sea Shepherd people as a pain in the arse.

Giles..

I don't see what my business has to do with this issue! I am just pointing out that if two groups of people are trying to achieve opposing objectives, neither should be surprised if violence ensues, especially in the absence of any third party authority.

They've come all that way and spent a lot of money to catch some whales. They just see the Sea Shepherd people as a pain in the arse.

Giles..
answer the question! is it fair for your tenants to get aggressive with you ripping them off or not carrying out repairs?

so fuck the international conventions off then is it?
who gives a shit about human health and safety when there are a few whales to catch and kill

do you have a line? (apart from your bottom one) if so where is it?

You just love sticking up for cunts cause you're a cunt.

The "research" bollocks is completely spurious as most of the meat ends up for sale and a large proportion of that ends up unsold because it's known to be high in mercury and hasn't been a fashionable food for a long time.

If there is little market for the whale meat, and it isn't for research, why do they continue to do it then?

Giles..

Back
Top Bottom