Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Japan! Tokyo!

11F1D775-4464-4D7A-8F4F-873AFFA0FAC6.jpeg F1898878-6C02-411A-A4FA-B4AB9E6FCE21.jpeg AC537D7B-104D-4B54-A3EA-DA59B478B9D6.jpeg I was there in May and went to the sumo (it’s on in Tokyo in Jan, May and Sept). Book ahead if you want to go as tix not available on the day. It’s not cheap, so if you don’t fancy paying for it you can at least just go down there and see them going to the arena outside - they’re quite a sight out in the street

View attachment 193986 View attachment 193987 View attachment 193988 I was there in May and went to the sumo (it’s on in Tokyo in Jan, May and Sept). Book ahead if you want to go as tix not available on the day. It’s not cheap, so if you don’t fancy paying for it you can at least just go down there and see them going to the arena outside - they’re quite a sight out in the street

It's a great experience, and you can get headphones at the venue for an English translation. It's also worth checking out the sumo meals they serve there.

Some more pics:

In photos: Look Shopping Street, Shin Koenji, Tokyo, Japan

I thought that was koenji!! Home of the fab green apple, and UFO club (10 minutes walk from koenji JR station or near a massively inconvenient chikatetsu.)
Also home of the koenji guest House, which is probably the cheapest and low budget traveler place to stay in all of Tokyo. Bitter sweet memories, and I'm not as mad keen on the market streets as I would have hoped.
Some crazy drinking establishments though, and my favourite karaoke venue (drink as much Nihon Shu (sake) as you can in two hours for 2000 yens (probably about £15).

For a bit of culture shock reversal, I have some of my 'never left Japan, barely ever left Tokyo' relatives coming to stay. I wonder what they will do. They will probably think my house is huge!!

This is such a great bar. I was sent a recording of the jam session we attempted at fuckknows o'clock. It will never be shared 😂

In photos: the fabulous Gravity Rock bar in Shinjuku, Tokyo

In photos: the fabulous Gravity Rock bar in Shinjuku, Tokyo

Just got a free flight internally in Japan. Foreigners in Japan during the oylimpics could enter into a jal lottery to visit lesser visited islands. The current Corona virus made the outcome a sure thing, so now I'm heading to the middle of nowhere for a few days. Only been outside of Tokyo once or maybe twice when not on your with the band so kind of curious. Looks like there is really nothing to do there (I forget where), wish I was going now to escape work (which is really doing my head in).

Just got a free flight internally in Japan. Foreigners in Japan during the oylimpics could enter into a jal lottery to visit lesser visited islands. The current Corona virus made the outcome a sure thing, so now I'm heading to the middle of nowhere for a few days. Only been outside of Tokyo once or maybe twice when not on your with the band so kind of curious. Looks like there is really nothing to do there (I forget where), wish I was going now to escape work (which is really doing my head in).

Middle of nowhere is good. I forget, are you in Tokyo or the UK?

Middle of nowhere is good. I forget, are you in Tokyo or the UK?
I live in London. Go to Tokyo once or twice a year for family. After 20 years or so it doesn't feel like a holiday or or a strange new place anymore. I'm always just visiting family and friends, so something new will be nice. I can be a proper tourist.

I live in London. Go to Tokyo once or twice a year for family. After 20 years or so it doesn't feel like a holiday or or a strange new place anymore. I'm always just visiting family and friends, so something new will be nice. I can be a proper tourist.

Yeah, get outside of Tokyo and it's a whole new vibe.

Yeah, get outside of Tokyo and it's a whole new vibe.
Yeah, I feel I've wasted the travel experience somewhat. Even my wife who is a Tokyo native hasn't ventured far. The few coastal visits I've made have all been full of Tokyo tourists. Even just touring with other bands to other cities I've seen excitement in tokyojins eyes that I have not personally felt.
I was supposed to visit Sendai and Fukushima a few years back to see relatives but understandably due to the weirdness that happened the week before I left it never happened.

Yeah, I feel I've wasted the travel experience somewhat. Even my wife who is a Tokyo native hasn't ventured far. The few coastal visits I've made have all been full of Tokyo tourists. Even just touring with other bands to other cities I've seen excitement in tokyojins eyes that I have not personally felt.
I was supposed to visit Sendai and Fukushima a few years back to see relatives but understandably due to the weirdness that happened the week before I left it never happened.

Well, I've said it before on multiple threads over the years, but if you get the chance, embrace the rest of Japan. There's quiet little islands, mountain towns and hamlets, so many places to slough off the city.

Well, I've said it before on multiple threads over the years, but if you get the chance, embrace the rest of Japan. There's quiet little islands, mountain towns and hamlets, so many places to slough off the city.
I think the countryside and hiking are the best thing about the place. Japanese cities are ok, but kind of all look and feel the same.

I think the countryside and hiking are the best thing about the place. Japanese cities are ok, but kind of all look and feel the same.

There is a generic feel to some places, yes but occasionally, there's something unusual and endearing about a town/city to check out.

OK so as it turns out my in laws from Japan never came to visit and we never got to fly out to the Olympics for some obvious reasons (as mentioned before we had also won some free internal JAL flights too so extra let down).

The 'good' news is all our Olympic tickets are valid for next year, and my wife was actually able to bag a few more. I'm not mad keen on sports, but I thought I had better go to something. Indoor events will be fine but I am dreading track and field in the Tokyo summer heat.

Anyway the point of posting is we just looked up flights today, and boy are they cheap. I think they were only about £300 for direct flights in premium economy during the Olympics! Not seen prices like that for maybe 15 years (off season and split journey). Obviously the corona effect. Just worries me if all this shit will have blown over enough by then.

Shit, I wish I didn't have this fucked up immune system.

Back
Top Bottom