Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Japan! Tokyo!

Want to see as much as possible, includes several cities but just trying to work out if this will be best over one trip or over a couple of seperate trips?
Mainly the price being the issues as its not the cheapest place to holiday or go on holiday, but at the same time i want to make sure i have enough time in each place.

Screw that, I'd just fly to tokyo and stay there for a couple of weeks, you are not going to get bored on your first visit. It wastes a lot of time traveling anywhere else even on the shinkansen, which also ain't cheap.
The great thing about tokyo is there are lots of very different types of places that are not that far from each other. You can see the massive tourist fest that is Meji jingu, or nip down to chiba on the JR, to shimosanakayama and be in oldy world japan for kendo dojos and proper old school temples up the old stone paths.

If price is an issue try and get a place in koenji guest house.
You won't find anywhere cheaper, plus it's awesome and right in the middle of everything.
http://kouenji.seesaa.net/
Right by some of the best (and reasonably priced) bars in tokyo, a place that is generally friendly to foreigners. I have never been in a bar or izakaya there and not struck up a conversation (and I am 100% not the sort of person that does that sort of thing).

You can see high tech next to history almost everywhere.

Remember, as soon as you know when you will be going get a place at the koenji guest house, places get booked up pretty quickly. Self catering, but you are left to yourself. The owners are really friendly and will wait for you and show you to where it is from the station whatever time you arrive.

The owners are really friendly and will wait for you and show you to where it is from the station whatever time you arrive.
Which is good seeing as you haven't got a hope of finding anything without help.

There is lots of interesting Japan outside Tokyo. Just because you aren't interested in life outside Tokyo, doesn't mean others won't be.

Which is good seeing as you haven't got a hope of finding anything without help.

There is lots of interesting Japan outside Tokyo. Just because you aren't interested in life outside Tokyo, doesn't mean others won't be.
I don't deny it, and I never said that I wasn't interested in life outside Tokyo, but the OP said that money was an issue and was only staying for a couple of weeks. I personally wouldn't, on my first trip, bother trying to to cover the whole country in that time, there is plenty to do in and around Tokyo. Each district can be a very different place.

I'm going to Tokyo for a week, on my own! More time and company would be preferrable, but that's how it's worked out.

As it's as short stay I'm going to get quite a nice hotel. Booking the hotel, flights, travel insurance through Expedia. Filight is from Manchester>Frankfurt>Tokyo.

I don't need a visa or anything do I. Plane, Hotel, Insurance, Cash...that's my list so far :D

I'm going to Tokyo for a week, on my own! More time and company would be preferrable, but that's how it's worked out.

As it's as short stay I'm going to get quite a nice hotel. Booking the hotel, flights, travel insurance through Expedia. Filight is from Manchester>Frankfurt>Tokyo.

I don't need a visa or anything do I. Plane, Hotel, Insurance, Cash...that's my list so far :D

I would definably fuck off the hotel, guest houses or flats are far better in tokyo. You can get right in there, far better setting, you will meet more people socially, and Japanese hotels are really stiff and give you a slightly skewed vision of the place. You will also save money.

I would definably fuck off the hotel, guest houses or flats are far better in tokyo. You can get right in there, far better setting, you will meet more people socially, and Japanese hotels are really stiff and give you a slightly skewed vision of the place. You will also save money.

Really? How cheap? I do want to stay there longer and hotel prices are quite high. Do you mean places like http://kouenji.seesaa.net/ or others?

eta, that place is like £50 for 6 nights total...wtf?

it's cheap but it's not "£50 for 6 nights" cheap, there must be a mix up.

maybe the deposit for 6 nights is £50?
anyway i stayed there and it is highly recommended.

Really? How cheap? I do want to stay there longer and hotel prices are quite high. Do you mean places like http://kouenji.seesaa.net/ or others?
I have only stayed in rented apartments but have seen a few guest houses, they tend to be cheaper and look like a better 'experience' all round.
The Koenji guesthouse I have been to several times, but I have not stayed there myself. It's right in the heart of Tokyo in a cool area with loads of cool and friendly bars and izakayas which you can walk back from, great because Japanese public transport shuts down around 11.30pm / 12.00
I know loads of people that have stayed at the koenji guesthouse and have only had good reviews. It is the cheapest place in town and a great location. Cool roof terrace and friendly staff too.

Single room 2,500yen/night !
Double room 3,500yen/night !

Made a mistake, £125 - still cheap! :D
yes that's more like it!
if you do stay there try not to get the room on the 1st floor as it is directly above a shisha bar that plays techno till about 4am every night. that's a double room anyway so no problem if you're getting a single.

yes that's more like it!
if you do stay there try not to get the room on the 1st floor as it is directly above a shisha bar that plays techno till about 4am every night. that's a double room anyway so no problem if you're getting a single.

I'd go for one that opens out on the the roof terrace.

if you leave the koenji guest house, go to the station, go through the underpass, then turn left down that street, then there is an izakaya on the right that does 300 yen pints of beer and free karaoke. i wish i discovered that sooner.

yes that's more like it!

Sounds like a place I could stay one night, maybe two.

You been there then, and what's a sisha bar?

They also have the monster bar just a couple of doors down, or an ace and sociable stand up bar. Almost everywhere around the guesthouse is cool and not too expensive. I have no idea why they advertise that they are 1 minute away from Mc Donalds.

Sounds like a place I could stay one night, maybe two.

You been there then, and what's a sisha bar?
i stayed there for 9 nights, wiht no problem. really it is only that room that is noisy, the rest of the place is quiet, well it is in the middle of a city so as quiet as you will get.
a shisha is one of those hubble bubble pipes that you smoke flavoured tobacco in.

Just how expensive is Japan right now? Last time I went it was about 220 yen to the pound.. now its 120.. I figure they aint had a massive deflation to compensate for me?

I went once when it was 240, now it's half that. Imagine everything being twice as expensive.
I still don't think it is as bed as everyone thinks because if you don't do the tourist stuff it's only really as expensive as living in london.

I went, and had the time of my life! :D It exceeded my expectations in every way. I only wish I'd moved to live there about 20 years ago!

8630936496_be2c2f1064_z.jpg

8626198743_506d4dfb2a_z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom