Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I've just saved a bee!

savoloysam

Ready to move into the light
Found him struggling crawling along my carpet. Feed him some honey from a teaspoon and as soon as he was strong enough to start flying I collected him and threw him up in the air out of the window and he soared away like an eagle.

Live long and prosper Mr Bee 🐝 ❤️

Good work!

I get this in my garden in the summer a bit, occasionally have a small neat in the eves on the odd year. Might find a tired bee, inanimate, so I stick some sugar water in front of them just in case.

Got a pic of the last time, June this year.
IMG_20230630_181012539.jpg

Well done ! savoloysam

{was probably a Ms Worker Bee, though - the males don't appear until later in the year, and the much bigger queens will already be doing their thing at the centre of their nest unless it's a member of one of the solitary bee species}

Bees, of all any any varieties need all the help that they can get.
Especially when this xXXXXXd government allows neonicontid {?sp} pesticides that kill many bees.

I'm quite good at rescuing & reviving bees - several times taking them out of the way from people who don't like anything that goes buzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Generally speaking, bees come to visit me fairly often - maybe I should consider keeping them.

Found him struggling crawling along my carpet. Feed him some honey from a teaspoon and as soon as he was strong enough to start flying I collected him and threw him up in the air out of the window and he soared away like an eagle.

Live long and prosper Mr Bee 🐝 ❤️

Patronising, self-congratulatory do-gooder misgenders bee or wasp.

Possibly one of the solitary bees like a mason bee then, they're the wild ones who really do need our help.

Very true, or a mining bee or small bumblebee like a garden bumblebee.

Not many people seem to get the difference between domesticated honeybees (which are an introduced species in the UK and are farmed in hives) and wild bees (which are under threat due to habitat loss, and sometimes competition for food sources from farmed honeybees!) We have been trained over the last decade or so to think all bees = good, and that is the case in terms of the necessary action of pollinating certain plants (and the secondary one, or sometimes the main reason, producing honey to sell) - but we need to make sure wild bees have the plants and habitats they like so that their numbers can increase and both can survive alongside one another.

Last edited:
The ones in my garden seem to be addicted to the bird bath and are keeping the birds away :(
We had an old barrel filled with water and plants ( was supposed to be a water feature). The pond weed acted as a capillary that the bees used to suck up water. I felt that we were helping them to drink and to be honest the birds didn't seem to mind.

Very true, or a mining bee or small bumblebee like a garden bumblebee.

Not many people seem to get the difference between domesticated honeybees (which are an introduced species in the UK and are farmed in hives) and wild bees (which are under threat due to habitat loss, and sometimes competition for food sources from farmed honeybees!) We have been trained over the last decade or so to think all bees = good, and that is the case in terms of the necessary action of pollinating certain plants (and the secondary one, or sometimes the main reason) producing honey to sell - but we need to make sure wild bees have the plants and habitats they like so that their numbers can increase and both can survive alongside one another.
I had a loose colony of solitary bees living underground in part of my front garden last year. I haven't checked if they're still there. It was only when I saw them up against a honey bee I realised they were much smaller.

I had bumblebees nesting in one of my compost bins earlier this year. I let them be :D Either badgers or foxes ripped through the wooden side of the compost bin to get at them and although I've seen a few going into what remains of the compost bin, there's nowhere near as many.

I do my best to ensure there's food sources for all of them in my garden by growing plants which flower at different times throughout the year. But I have to admit they are just 'bee-friendly' plants rather than for any particular type of bee.

I had a loose colony of solitary bees living underground in part of my front garden last year. I haven't checked if they're still there. It was only when I saw them up against a honey bee I realised they were much smaller.

I had bumblebees nesting in one of my compost bins earlier this year. I let them be :D Either badgers or foxes ripped through the wooden side of the compost bin to get at them and although I've seen a few going into what remains of the compost bin, there's nowhere near as many.

I do my best to ensure there's food sources for all of them in my garden by growing plants which flower at different times throughout the year. But I have to admit they are just 'bee-friendly' plants rather than for any particular type of bee.

Badgers absolutely love bees nests, one dug up 2 garden bumblebee nests in my parents' garden earlier this year - left ruddy great holes and loads of dead adult bees, to get at the nests with all the larvae :eek:

Badgers absolutely love bees nests, one dug up 2 garden bumblebee nests in my parents' garden earlier this year - left ruddy great holes and loads of dead adult bees, to get at the nests with all the larvae :eek:
What ever wrecked my compost bin was fairly strong so I suspect it was badgers. They trampled all over the rhubarb to get to it. They left compost, bits of timber and dead bees all over that part of the garden. I kept spotting bees emerging from the wreckage in amongst the broken rhubarb leaves so I've left it, hoping the bees might be able to salvage something of their nests and carry on. It's several weeks later and there are still bumblebees buzzing around the compost bin and rhubarb so guess their nests weren't completely destroyed.

I once witnessed a wasp flying around a property snipping spiders webs. I didn’t know that was a thing.
So technically wasps also save bees. And by extension, saving a wasp is saving a bee.
They’re still nasty cunts though.
It goes without saying that I've rescued hundreds of lovely wasps that have been trapped indoors over the years by giving them some sugar water so they can get strong and fly again.

Back
Top Bottom