Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

it's the all-singing all-dancing 2018 reading challenge thread

how many books do you anticipate reading in 2018?

• Total voters
Anybody else sad enough to make themselves a Book Reading Bingo Card for 2018? (I'm avoiding putting together an Ikea filing cabinet.)

A few suggestions for you:

1) Set in 17th Century - Shogun by James Clavell
2) True crime book - In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
3) Stephen King novel - The Dead Zone (first of his that I read)
4) Novel set in 1910's - Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
5) Novel with a colour in title - The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

02. HMS Surprise - Patrick O'Brian
03. Numero Zero - Umberto Eco
04. The Mauritius Command - Patrick O'Brian
05. On the Jewish Question - Karl Marx
06. Cool Air - H.P Lovecraft

Last edited:
A few suggestions for you:

1) Set in 17th Century - Shogun by James Clavell
2) True crime book - In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
3) Stephen King novel - The Dead Zone (first of his that I read)
4) Novel set in 1910's - Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
5) Novel with a colour in title - The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

Cheers for the suggestions. There are at least 3 in your list that I would seriously consider.

Aiming for 55 this year

1. The Book of Lost Things - John Connolly
2. The Fifth Season - N. K. Jemisin
3. The Brothers Ashkenazi - I. J. Singer

The last two are ongoing (latter audiobook)

first time on this thread for me also - aiming for 20-29, including more writers from Africa and Latin America. To this end, i'm part way through 'Violence' by Festus Iyayi, so far one of the saddest books I ever read, really articulates the unrelenting misery of absolute poverty. After this I want to try a Kenyan writer called Ngugi wa Thiong'o (sp?) Also on my to-do list is more Russian writers, books about cycle touring and long distance hiking (I just finished one about a woman who cycled the length of Africa) and some political and environmental themed books inc. Wolfgang Streek and a book about the Frankfurt School - 'The Grand Hotel Abyss.'

1/25. L'Assommoir - Émile Zola.
2/25. La Bête humaine - Émile Zola.

Film noir 50 years before Double Indemnity? It certainly felt like that when I was reading this - scorned lovers, crimes of passion and rage, dark secrets, all overlaid with the shroud of bureaucratic corruption and incompetence, not to mention the general torpor of society and the hypocrisy of those who live within it. But Zola's novel feels much grimmer than the Hollywood tales I've seen.

(By the looks of my to-read list, I'm going to be hitting a lot of those bingo targets!)

1/25 A Clash of Kings - George R. R. Martin
2/25 A Life for the Stars - James Blish
3/25 The Triumph of Time - James Blish

1/76 The Thirst - Jo Nesbo
2/76 Alt-America : The Rise of the Radical Right in the Age of Trump. David Neiwert
3/76 Pursuit of Honour - Vince Flynn.

Last edited:
the viz annual would count as a book but an issue of viz is a periodical and therefore not a book as such
Technically an annual is a periodical - with the period being...annual.

1/60 Michael Gillard & Laurie Flynn - Untouchables: Dirty Cops, Bent Justice & Racism in Scotland Yard
(this is excellent by the way - it's almost like reading Ellroy, but in London)

Ive heard really good things about this...when i was looking into books on police corruption the reviews seemed to suggest a lot of them are hatchet jobs between different competing police departments trying to make each other look bad!...whereas this is proper investigative journalism supposedly. Does it feel up to date?

Technically an annual is a periodical - with the period being...annual.
technically it is a book: hence its possession of an isbn rather than issn: e.g. Viz Annual: The Last Turkey in the Shop 2009 (isbn 10) 1906372403. it is part of a series, perhaps, but it is not issued as a periodical. by your argument a work which appears on a regular basis, e.g. whitaker's almanack or a phone book is a periodical. nonsense!

technically it is a book: hence its possession of an isbn rather than issn: e.g. Viz Annual: The Last Turkey in the Shop 2009 (isbn 10) 1906372403. it is part of a series, perhaps, but it is not issued as a periodical. by your argument a work which appears on a regular basis, e.g. whitaker's almanack or a phone book is a periodical. nonsense!
Annual publication - Wikipedia
Annual publications, more often called simply annuals, are periodical publications appearing regularly once per year.[1]

periodical
pɪərɪˈɒdɪk(ə)l/
noun
  1. 1.
    a magazine or newspaper published at regular intervals.
    synonyms: journal, publication, magazine, newspaper, paper, review, digest, gazette, newsletter, organ, serial, annual, quarterly, monthly, bimonthly, fortnightly, weekly, biweekly;More

Wrong! Sad! Poor ratings Pickmans
Many journals have ISBNs too

Back
Top Bottom