Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

it's the all-singing all-dancing 2018 reading challenge thread

how many books do you anticipate reading in 2018?

• Total voters
I initially voted 10-19, but am going to set a target of 25 - with a bottom of 20.

1/25. L'Assommoir - Émile Zola.

Finished reading this a few minutes ago. Another great Zola novel chronicling alcoholism and poverty among the Parisian working class, with all the
attendant physical and mental cruelty and deprivation; and the origin story of Etienne and Nana from Germinal and Nana respectively.

It's a long time since I read L'Assommoir and it was the first Zola book that I read. Still my favourite of his books and still a favourite book generally.

I'm going for twenty as that's about what I read last year. I would have read more if I hadn't given up on about 5 books after a few chapters. I'm really struggling to find books I want to read and as I only read in bed I'm not optimistic about reading more than last year.

I'm going for twenty as that's about what I read last year. I would have read more if I hadn't given up on about 5 books after a few chapters. I'm really struggling to find books I want to read and as I only read in bed I'm not optimistic about reading more than last year.

What genre are you looking to read?

I counted a bunch of those shite adult Ladybird books that I read, stood up, in a supermarket, whilst waiting for a job interview, as well as several books that I read to my four year old niece.
yeh. these are books and not periodicals.

i wouldn't count an issue of scientific american or intelligence & national security as a book as they are periodicals rather than your actual book.

also viz is not as funny as it used to be.

1/60 Michael Gillard & Laurie Flynn - Untouchables: Dirty Cops, Bent Justice & Racism in Scotland Yard
(this is excellent by the way - it's almost like reading Ellroy, but in London)
Like the sound of that, will check it out, ta.

1/30 The Bottom Corner - Nige Tassell
Very good book about the joys and endless disappointments of non-league football. He gets non-league in a way that evades most mainstream writers. Good chapter on Dulwich Hamlet for those interested; he sees beyond the 'hipster' tag instantly. Dulwich Mishi is quoted in it, I think. The final word, though, has to go to Nigel of Half Man Half Biscuit on the joys of supporting Tranmere Rovers: ''At times I can wholly appreciate how John McCarthy must have felt when he was tied to that radiator.''

yeh. these are books and not periodicals.

i wouldn't count an issue of ...... intelligence & national security as a book as they are periodicals rather than your actual book.

Just checked these out and there's quite a few papers that look interesting. Thank goodness for sci-hub, though it might cut down on my total of "proper" books for the year

Like the sound of that, will check it out, ta.

1/30 The Bottom Corner - Nige Tassell
Very good book about the joys and endless disappointments of non-league football. He gets non-league in a way that evades most mainstream writers. Good chapter on Dulwich Hamlet for those interested; he sees beyond the 'hipster' tag instantly. Dulwich Mishi is quoted in it, I think. The final word, though, has to go to Nigel of Half Man Half Biscuit on the joys of supporting Tranmere Rovers: ''At times I can wholly appreciate how John McCarthy must have felt when he was tied to that radiator.''
Indeed...I speak to media/press/whoever as it's all publicity, albeit often in a lazy hipster way, but Nigel Tassell was very honest, and basically quoted what I actually said.

60 - fiction (1 a week) non-fiction, 1 per month, allowing for sporadic sessions -

1/60 Tool of War, Paolo Bacigalupi
2/60 Richard Powers, Orfeo
3/60 (ongoing) Aroids, Deni Bowen

Like the numerous garden diaries I begin, I start to fade around March, grinding to a complete halt by May (plus every year is the exact same whine about snails, pigeons and slacker neighbours). Will try to do better.

Last edited:
Pathetically failed my 2017 target of 19, only reading 8. Will aim for 10-19 again this year, with a view to solidly hitting double figures!

Back
Top Bottom