Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

it's the all-singing all-dancing 2018 reading challenge thread

how many books do you anticipate reading in 2018?

• Total voters

Pickman's model

Starry Wisdom
usual rules apply.

just a heads-up that we're coming to the end of the year, and that means that a new thread will be starting with effect from 0000 on 1 january 2018, where you can put books read* in the next calendar year. please don't be awkward and demand a different set of 365 days, the 2018 thread is intended for books read** between the very start of 2018 and the very end of 2018***.

anyway, as i say, just a heads-up this thread'll be the one to post your read books on for 2018, and i only mention this so you can start thinking how many books it is likely you'll read next year.

_____

*read includes books read to you, heard as audiofiles, on tapes, cds, etc ad nauseam.
** read in this case means completed.
*** the very end of 2018 is deemed to be 2359 on 31 december 2018.

these rules are of course arbitrary. but there you go.

Last edited:
I'm going for 25 books in total, including at least 5 non-fiction* of which at least one is about politics/economics, one history and one a(n) (auto)biography.

Also, not technically within the remit of the thread but another reading goal is to read at least one article from my "to read" bookmarks each month.

*Not counting books from the 'Very Short Introduction' series, just because.

Last edited:
usual rules apply.

just a heads-up that we're coming to the end of the year, and that means that a new thread will be starting with effect from 0000 on 1 january 2018, where you can put books read* in the next calendar year. please don't be awkward and demand a different set of 365 days, the 2018 thread is intended for books read** between the very start of 2018 and the very end of 2018***.

anyway, as i say, just a heads-up this thread'll be the one to post your read books on for 2018, and i only mention this so you can start thinking how many books it is likely you'll read next year.

_____

*read includes books read to you, heard as audiofiles, on tapes, cds, etc ad nauseam.
** read in this case means completed.
*** the very end of 2018 is deemed to be 2359 on 31 december 2018.

these rules are of course arbitrary. but there you go.

How come your post reads, erroneously, 366 days but when I quote it it correctly reads 365 days? Are you the devil?

I don’t get the quantity thing, that would entail reading rubbish and I try not to read rubbish. I’ve got Adults in the Room staring at me and that ain’t gonna be finished quickly. But I’ll try and keep the thread, erm, posted.

How come your post reads, erroneously, 366 days but when I quote it it correctly reads 365 days? Are you the devil?

I don’t get the quantity thing, that would entail reading rubbish and I try not to read rubbish. I’ve got Adults in the Room staring at me and that ain’t gonna be finished quickly. But I’ll try and keep the thread, erm, posted.
it's just a bit of fun, doesn't matter what you read

My target this year (2017) was 26 but I'm up to 43 already.
I think I'll aim for 26 again this year though, cos I feel one book every 2 weeks is fine.

I generally try and read one easy read, one a little more "worthy" (booker prize winner etc) or long book, and one non fiction (invariably an autobiography)

I gave up about halfway this year, but I reckon I've read 30-something of my intended 48 books.

So for 2018 let's try an even forty. Maybe that will discourage me from cheating by reading loads of really short books.

I'm going to revise my next year's quota down to around 15, so I can read the huge tomes I've not got around to yet. Things like Capital Vol. 1 & 2, War and Peace, Brothers Karamazov, Infinite Jest, without feeling the need to rush to meet my target.

Looking forward to it!

A few years back when I last participated in this thread, I was doing more than a book a week easily, but the last couple of years have been a struggle since finding my spare time taken up by moving in with my partner. I've quit social media recently, so that coupled with the need to unwind while planning my wedding means I've gone for 25. That's roughly double what I did this year.

I initially voted 10-19, but am going to set a target of 25 - with a bottom of 20.

1/25. L'Assommoir - Émile Zola.

Finished reading this a few minutes ago. Another great Zola novel chronicling alcoholism and poverty among the Parisian working class, with all the attendant physical and mental cruelty and deprivation; and the origin story of Etienne and Nana from Germinal and Nana respectively.

A good start :)
I initially voted 10-19, but am going to set a target of 25 - with a bottom of 20.

1/25. L'Assommoir - Émile Zola.

Finished reading this a few minutes ago. Another great Zola novel chronicling alcoholism and poverty among the Parisian working class, with all the attendant physical and mental cruelty and deprivation; and the origin story of Etienne and Nana from Germinal and Nana respectively.

Only reached 23 out of 25 for last year, and a lot of them were only short, so I'm going for 25 again.

Count me in!

I don't read complete books nearly as much as I did. Thank you academia.

And I've developed a terrible skim reading habit which means I often miss important details.

But I will try to do better - 40 plus for me.

I did miserably on my target last year but I did complete my PGDip :thumbs:. I'll be academia free in 2018 so hopefully stand a better chance of establishing a reading routine, I'm aiming for 25.

I'm setting myself a modest target of 20 this year. I've still got stuff on the virtual pile nagging at me.

Back
Top Bottom