Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Tom Cruise the biggest narcissistic prick in popular culture?

I’m not prepared or even trying to defend his extremely dodgy religious views, but until any serious wrongdoing in his personal life emerges, I’m not going to blank films he’s in because of Scientology, because depressingly, I’d have to similarly blank shit loads of other well known main lead Scientology actors in films and series I like.

What I would say is that as an actor, his commitment not just to do his own stunts, but to actually do stuff most professional stuntmen wouldn’t dare is truly astonishing. It’s actually incredible the shit he puts himself through to do something for real for his love of traditional practical effects and the sake of of it. He actually broke the world record for free diving for an underwater scene instead of letting CGI take care of it. He trained upwards of six months IIRC. Absolutely mental. Same with high the altitude skydiving in another Mission Impossible. He’s so good at anything technical/ risky he decides to learn, it is said whenever there’s a car chase scene in a film, he’s more skilled than any of the professional stunt drivers brought in. You’d have to be mad not to tip your hat to that.

My OH works at one of the London locations where he has filmed many exterior scenes, and she and her colleagues have reported he has always come across as a genuinely nice guy to everyone around him, talking to anyone who approaches him, bringing coffee to security guards in set, and so on.

He might turn out to be a horrible cunt in the future, but much as I hate his religious views, I can think of plenty of other actors who come across as far more narcissistic pricks.

I’m not prepared or even trying to defend his extremely dodgy religious views, but until any serious wrongdoing in his personal life emerges, I’m not going to blank films he’s in because of Scientology, because depressingly, I’d have to similarly blank shit loads of other well known main lead Scientology actors in films and series I like.

What I would say is that as an actor, his commitment not just to do his own stunts, but to actually do stuff most professional stuntmen wouldn’t dare is truly astonishing. It’s actually incredible the shit he puts himself through to do something for real for his love of traditional practical effects and the sake of of it. He actually broke the world record for free diving for an underwater scene instead of letting CGI take care of it. He trained upwards of six months IIRC. Absolutely mental. Same with high the altitude skydiving in another Mission Impossible. He’s so good at anything technical/ risky he decides to learn, it is said whenever there’s a car chase scene in a film, he’s more skilled than any of the professional stunt drivers brought in. You’d have to be mad not to tip your hat to that.

My OH works at one of the London locations where he has filmed many exterior scenes, and she and her colleagues have reported he has always come across as a genuinely nice guy to everyone around him, talking to anyone who approaches him, bringing coffee to security guards in set, and so on.

He might turn out to be a horrible cunt in the future, but much as I hate his religious views, I can think of plenty of other actors who come across as far more narcissistic pricks.
If not liking someone's religion is a reason to not watch their films we'd basically have to give up on cinema...but agree with much you say here he clearly loved film and is absolutely committed to being the best he can be in the service of it.

I once knew someone who had worked with him in the 80s in US theatre. He said that he is a very good stage actor, but that he didn't adapt to movies and you can tell this from his very exaggerated physical acting, which isn't appropriate when you are in close-up.

I have no opinion about this, but thought it might be interesting to someone who is interested in this sort of thing.

Have mellowed towards him over the decades, especially when it comes to big screen blockbusters. Nobody does it better.

As for his religious beliefs, well, am fond of Beck as well. Not interested in what space entity they worship.

Always thought Falco was the biggest narcissist in popular culture.

It’s not a strong moral position to say the reason you choose to put some dodgy religious shit to one side is that consistency would demand you put a whole load of other artists with equally iffy religious views to one side as well.

This reminds me of a festival I was at where a certain band was playing and someone was questioning whether to see them because of their (the band’s) religious persuasion. My take was that they’re a great band, everything I’d heard in their music seemed to portray a sense of underlying decency, and that without anything particularly damning I could think of, then deciding not to see them was probably cutting my nose off to spite my face, and at worse possibly religious bigotry.

To my surprise, the person I was talking to thought for a moment and decided they agreed.

(in this case the religion involved wasn’t Scientology)

It’s not a strong moral position to say the reason you choose to put some dodgy religious shit to one side is that consistency would demand you put a whole load of other artists with equally iffy religious views to one side as well.

This reminds me of a festival I was at where a certain band was playing and someone was questioning whether to see them because of their (the band’s) religious persuasion. My take was that they’re a great band, everything I’d heard in their music seemed to portray a sense of underlying decency, and that without anything particularly damning I could think of, then deciding not to see them was probably cutting my nose off to spite my face, and at worse possibly religious bigotry.

To my surprise, the person I was talking to thought for a moment and decided they agreed.

I'm assuming Hanson.

One thing I learned is that people I share my views with have turned out to be horrible and people who have views different from mine can be fun, nice, etc. So I'm not one to judge an actor I never even met, whose personality is portrayed through the distorted lens of the media. Unless there's cold hard evidence of real criminality I ignore celebrity gossip and let the art speak for itself.

I'd rather watch Cruise in a blockbuster-type movie than any of the Chris and/or Ryans they have nowadays. Cruise always acts like whatever nonsense is happening is real and serious. Chris Pratt trying to do serious is just painful.

I once knew someone who had worked with him in the 80s in US theatre. He said that he is a very good stage actor, but that he didn't adapt to movies and you can tell this from his very exaggerated physical acting, which isn't appropriate when you are in close-up.

I have no opinion about this, but thought it might be interesting to someone who is interested in this sort of thing.
I don’t think Tom Cruise ever had a stage career. He parachuted straight into Hollywood

Michael Jackson was allegedly a paedophile and people still listen to Billy Jean.

Interestingly not so many to "Do you wanna be in my gang?".

Incidentally "this man isn't a complete sociopath as evidenced by his insane dedication to controlling his own stunts" is quite the take.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom