Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is it wrong to eat animals that are clever?

This week I saw a petition to stop the farming for food of dogs in china...seemed like hypocrisy to me

Its wrong to eat dumb animals as well if you don't need to. I'm not against people doing it, but morally to murder another living creature and eat it's flesh just because it's delicious is not really justifiable

some years ago while reading a book about cannibalism i found out that some societies practicing this atrocious habit believe they absorb the bravery of the person getting eaten. perhaps there is all the more reason to eat clever animals in the hope that one will absorb some of their intelligence: and also because it would tend to keep down the number of clever animals thus reducing the threat that they might take over the world.

Its wrong to eat dumb animals as well if you don't need to. I'm not against people doing it, but morally to murder another living creature and eat it's flesh just because it's delicious is not really justifiable
What other things that aren't justifiable aren't you against people doing?

On moral grounds? Not counting the potential harm done to others.

Or when you say you are not against people doing something do you merely mean you wouldn't publicly remonstrate with them?

I meant smoking outdoors and not affecting anyone else, it's not justifiable, but I'm not against it. I was just answering your question

I just meant what I said, morally killing animals or having someone kill them for you so you can have a nice snack is wrong, but I'm not really against it.

A better equivalent would be wasting energy, like using a car when you don't need to, or wasting electricity or water. It's completely wrong, but it's not a massive deal, so I'm not against it in any meaningful way

A better equivalent would be wasting energy, like using a car when you don't need to, or wasting electricity or water. It's completely wrong, but it's not a massive deal, so I'm not against it in any meaningful way
You've not really expressed yourself in a meaningful way. If something is completely wrong, why wouldn't you be against it?
And how is eating meat unjustifiable?

My reasoning is that you are inflicting suffering on a living creature for your own pleasure and I think that if humans keep moving forward then in 100 years people will find it disgusting that we used to eat animal flesh for pleasure.
I haven't heard a good argument against that. If anyone has one I'm open to it.

I don't think it's a massive deal because we are just conforming to our time and place, like only having a bath every couple of weeks wasn't skanky 100 years ago but it is now

Back
Top Bottom