Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is it safe to leave a gas ring on slow cooking overnight?

No. Flame goes out, fills room with gas, pilot light ignites gas...

Closed room, flame consumes oxygen, gives off CO2 and CO (will kill you, pets, etc) flame goes out...see above.

Semi closed room, flame consumes oxygen, gives off CO2 and CO (will kill you, pets, etc) flame goes out...see above

No. Flame goes out, fills room with gas, pilot light ignites gas...

Closed room, flame consumes oxygen, gives off CO2 and CO (will kill you, pets, etc) flame goes out...see above.

Semi closed room, flame consumes oxygen, gives off CO2 and CO (will kill you, pets, etc) flame goes out...see above

If this was true anyone who has cooked a stew during the day would be dead.

If this was true anyone who has cooked a stew during the day would be dead.
I mean, it's sort of true. There is a threshold at which a gas appliance overcomes the natural free flow of air in an ordinary house, but it's not one you likely meet in ordinary cooking. If you used all your burners on full to heat the house it could potentially kill you.

I mean, it's sort of true. There is a threshold at which a gas appliance overcomes the natural free flow of air in an ordinary house, but it's not one you likely meet in ordinary cooking. If you used all your burners on full to heat the house it could kill you.

We're talking about leaving a small gas ring on its lowest setting. If anything it might actually improve the airflow in the house.

I now want to calculate the oxygen consumption of a low hob and compare it to the nighttime output from an average number of houseplants.

hmm. this has happened in my house a few times, when friend makes his Special Stock. Not dead yet but it did always make me uneasy and i thought i was being unreasonable.

Because someone did and I've said they shouldn't and it's dangerous and they disagree, so I was sensing checking if I'm being unreasonable, as has been suggested.
I understand, but these things do happen - wait until you get to the same age as High Voltage and me (58) - it'll go from being dangerous and irresponsible to the most exciting thing to happen in months :D

I understand, but these things do happen - wait until you get to the same age as High Voltage and me (58) - it'll go from being dangerous and irresponsible to the most exciting thing to happen in months :D

They didn't forget. The didn't on purpose to cook something as well having a slow cooker on all night. (Slow cooker was in a closed cupboard - is that dangerous?)

Isn't the official advice never to leave electrical appliances on overnight except those designed to run 24/7 like fridges and a freezers? So that would rule out a slow cooker.

Just cook during the day like normal people.

Back
Top Bottom