Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is America burning? (Black Lives Matter protests, civil unrest and riots 2020)

Yeah, and a huge number of people there didn’t do anything more than take up space. The FBI itself concluded that it wasn’t an organised attack.
I already stated as much when I said it was the frontline ppl that were organised with the rest being gawkers and hangers-on. Even some of the more well-known looters arrived in the capitol building after all the fighting was over and mostly took items of opportunity. Like that tit who stole the speaker's podium.

It was a shambolic gathering ranging from serious violent elements to people just kind of milling about. Unprecedented and weird, but the “civil war” stuff is just hyperbole.

There was no plan,(...)
The "serious violent elements" (of which there were many) were organised. Just like any hardcore element of any riot/coup attempt/etc tend to be.

(...)and no one was going to grab hold of a magic radio and turn the USA into a fascist dictatorship.
Tha's not how this sort of thing works and well you know it.

Oddly, I speak to Americans a lot and they don't seem to think that fascism is mainstream.

But then no one here said fascism was mainstream and nothing to worry about except you.

Oddly, I speak to Americans a lot and they don't seem to think that fascism is mainstream.

But then no one here said fascism was mainstream and nothing to worry about except you.

Oddly, and not having a go, but have found that it's the complete opposite to your experience.

Depends where you are and who you talking to, am guessing?

Yeah, and a huge number of people there didn’t do anything more than take up space. The FBI itself concluded that it wasn’t an organised attack.

It was a shambolic gathering ranging from serious violent elements to people just kind of milling about. Unprecedented and weird, but the “civil war” stuff is just hyperbole.

There was no plan, and no one was going to grab hold of a magic radio and turn the USA into a fascist dictatorship.

I do think it was being used as cover for people who had that intent, but the people in key places of power needed to cooperate wouldn't. I've been reading some of the stuff about Mike Pence. On Jan 6 he was afraid to get into a secret service car because he thought there was a possibility that he'd never been seen again. I have no love for Mike Pence and his faction, but I find it astonishing that the Vice President didn't trust his own security service.

They're certainly trying to be mainstream. They've stopped with the buzz cuts and swastika tats and have switched to chinos and polo shirts. If you hunt up some of their propaganda, you'll see men in suits talking about "heritage" and "preserving white culture", instead of "the Joos." However, if they move an arm just the right way, you can see the tats under than suit sleeve. Often, if you watch closely on Facebook, you'll see some piece of far right-wing propaganda pop up as something presented as mainstream. I'm not certain most people know propaganda when they see it.

Oddly, and not having a go, but have found that it's the complete opposite to your experience.

Depends where you are and who you talking to, am guessing?

Depends who you have been talking to and how you know them. If there's any self-selecting element akin to urban then that would explain your findings.

Last edited:
They're certainly trying to be mainstream. They've stopped with the buzz cuts and swastika tats and have switched to chinos and polo shirts. If you hunt up some of their propaganda, you'll see men in suits talking about "heritage" and "preserving white culture", instead of "the Joos." However, if they move an arm just the right way, you can see the tats under than suit sleeve. Often, if you watch closely on Facebook, you'll see some piece of far right-wing propaganda pop up as something presented as mainstream.

Yeah, we have groups who have been trying to look more respectable here for ages too.
Fascism is not mainstream here, needless to say.

I'm sure if you asked a lot of Republicans they wouldn't think they were headed towards fascism because they agree with the direction and just don't see it.

This is Merriam-Webster:

Fascism: often capitalized: 1 a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition
2: a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control // early instances of army fascism and brutality— J. W. Aldridge

Definition 2. is certainly true of top republicans, trumpies, Fox and friends. I'd say definition 1 can be argued, too, including the economic and social regimentation.

Quite revealing that Fukuyama thinks of abortion as a 'conventional policy issue' rather than part of the 'bitter fight over cultural identity'.
I'm no fan of Fukuyama, thought the analysis was right though. He came to mind because of his essay "The End of History?"
History never ended after all. The 21st century, where everything starts to break up...

Back
Top Bottom