Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Invent modern-day Seinfeld plots

My point is that if Friends was popular but Seinfeld wasn't, then Britain truly is broken. :(
I'm not a fan of Friends. In fact, I hated much about it. But if I ever watched an episode, I'd laugh several times. Seinfeld, I watched 3 episodes (on recommendation) and didn't even smile. If enough others shared that experience, it may be why one was popular and the other not.

I'm not a fan of Friends. In fact, I hated much about it. But if I ever watched an episode, I'd laugh several times. Seinfeld, I watched 3 episodes (on recommendation) and didn't even smile. If enough others shared that experience, it may be why one was popular and the other not.

I used to love Seinfeld. Then that racist incident occurred with Michael Richards [Kramer]. Now I can't watch it.

What tv do you like?
Loads. I've contributed to many threads on here.

The Sopranos, Mad Men, Coronation Street, Boys from the Blackstuff, Edge of Darkness, Life on Mars, Tutti Frutti (John Byrne), Hotel du Lac, Life on Earth by David Attenborough, Connections with James Burke, Dr Who. I dunno. Hard to come up with a list. You try!

The Killing I. The Bridge. Borgen.

I can see that. I think Seinfeld is a slow burner...it grows on you.

from stumbling across several of your posts recently and detecting a pattern, I would be surprised to hear you say you liked anything :D
He's been consistently right with the old hate lately, has our danny. Life Of Pi, Seinfeld: both total shite. Totally correct. However, his monumental faux pas of describing The Rolling Stones as 'a singles band' means he will never get into heaven. He has time to repent, of course, by listening to Sticky Fingers properly but I'll wager his foolish pride won't allow him.

Loads. I've contributed to many threads on here.

The Sopranos, Mad Men, Coronation Street, Boys from the Blackstuff, Edge of Darkness, Life on Mars, Tutti Frutti (John Byrne), Hotel du Lac, Life on Earth by David Attenborough, Connections with James Burke, Dr Who. I dunno. Hard to come up with a list. You try!

The Killing I. The Bridge. Borgen.

Life in Mars [UK version] is one of my favorite recent tv programs. Liked Sherlock, watching something now called Being Human. Seen two episodes. The jury is still out on that one.

Life in Mars [UK version] is one of my favorite recent tv programs. Liked Sherlock, watching something now called Being Human. Seen two episodes. The jury is still out on that one.
I liked Being Human. It is patchy, it has to be said, and I don't want to give you any spoilers, but I wasn't happy about the end of the last series. But I enjoyed it as a whole.

it probably took me seeing snippets for a few years before I finally sat down and watched an episode, tbh.
A few years! And that's before I get a laugh? I'm sorry, but life's too short. I give novels 50 pages now, and if I'm not getting drawn in it gets slung. Gone are the days when I soldiered on through a book that was meant to improve me. I think I gave Seinfeld a fair hearing at 3 episodes.

I liked Being Human. It is patchy, it has to be said, and I don't want to give you any spoilers, but I wasn't happy about the end of the last series. But I enjoyed it as a whole.

My problem is, I'm being seduced by British telivision. I can watch them on Netflicks. I tried watching some US series about stewardesses - Pan Am.... I couldn't do it.

Take Being Human. A ghost, a vampire, and a werewolf move into a nice flat together. They're very concerned not to be hurting anyone. It is so British. :)

I'll be watching it as soon as I'm done at work.

A couple of questions, though: is there only a small pool of popular actors there right now? There's this crossover - I've seen the same people in Robin Hood, Sherlock, Being Human, The Office, Spooks, etc etc.

Second, do all of the more comedic shows always have some sort of homosexual subtext?

I looked it up and found this: http://www.tmz.com/2006/11/20/kramers-racist-tirade-caught-on-tape

Jesus christ, I think Seinfeld is broken for me too.

I never used to like Seinfeld. Found it dull, self-obsessed, essentially about nothing. Then I watched Curb and spent hours on end laughing my arse off. Then I went back to the start and watched Seinfeld from the beginning. The first two or three series weren't anything special, but then Larry really hit his stride and his own special brand of humour started coming through. The last two series I never watched. As soon as Larry left it lost something. Still, glad I saw the good bits before Michael Richards made such a complete and total fuck-up. Seinfeld was just Larry David warming up. Curb is streets ahead.

A few years! And that's before I get a laugh? I'm sorry, but life's too short. I give novels 50 pages now, and if I'm not getting drawn in it gets slung. Gone are the days when I soldiered on through a book that was meant to improve me. I think I gave Seinfeld a fair hearing at 3 episodes.

well, fair enough I guess. Don't you find that some things that didn't appeal to you at all suddenly start seeming interesting, weeks, months, years later after giving it another shot? Happens to me all the time, so I try not to write anything off.

I might of enjoy Seinfeld if it had not been for jerry,

Only seen his stand up and all it has left me with a urge to scream "cunt" at the tv and reach for the remote..

Like an older dane cook

:mad:

A couple of questions, though: is there only a small pool of popular actors there right now? There's this crossover - I've seen the same people in Robin Hood, Sherlock, Being Human, The Office, Spooks, etc etc.

Second, do all of the more comedic shows always have some sort of homosexual subtext?
A) I don't think it's any different now to at any other time. I always remember seeing character actors in different shows.

B) Yes.

well, fair enough I guess. Don't you find that some things that didn't appeal to you at all suddenly start seeming interesting, weeks, months, years later after giving it another shot? Happens to me all the time, so I try not to write anything off.
Yes, I like some things now that I didn't like years ago. Tastes change. I never used to get free jazz, when I was a youngster. But it wasn't through persevering that it finally clicked for me, but rather widening my experience of music, away from free jazz, which then gave it some context I could put it in. Have you ever done rock climbing? It's like a hand-hold you couldn't reach from one approach, but another approach brings it into reach. On one approach it seems unattainable, but on a different approach it seems the logical next move.

I don't think that'll ever be the case for me with Phil Collins, Michael Buble, Bruce Springsteen, or Seinfeld.

Yes. It's not just the comedy shows either. The news always has 'I Am What I Am' playing in the background, for example.

In Sherlock, people kept referring to Holmes and Watson as a 'couple', which Watson was always hotly denying. Robin Hood's sidekick is continually going through sexual identity crises. And it's not done matter-of-fact; it's always used as a comedic vehicle.

It's not something I've noticed tbh, but I guess writers have come to realise that if a show is going to in any way reflect the real world then there are going to have to be some gay characters around somewhere. I'm not sure I'd call that 'subtext', in fact I'm not sure I'd call it anything.

There might be a word for a suspicious absence of gay characters...

Aaaanyway. I found Seinfeld hilarious, and still do now.
Could have done without Kramer though. Most people seem to like him best, but I always found his scenes pretty boring.

Me too, one of the greatest comedy shows ever!

It's not something I've noticed tbh, but I guess writers have come to realise that if a show is going to in any way reflect the real world then there are going to have to be some gay characters around somewhere. I'm not sure I'd call that 'subtext', in fact I'm not sure I'd call it anything.

There might be a word for a suspicious absence of gay characters...

It's not the presence of gay characters, it's the constant innuendo that single males who are friends with another male character, must be gay. It's a touch on the juvenile side.

Back
Top Bottom