Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Interesting short/mid haircuts for middle ages women than aren't 'mumsy'

Cloo

Approved by toads
So I've decided I am tired of long hair - I used to be the person who changed her haircut all the time, but for the last 10 years I've had long hair and I've not been very good at it. I can't do much with it and can't be arsed to learn, it all seems to require eyes in the back of your head if you haven't practised since childhood (I basically had a crop or short bob between ages of 9-35) and I always knew I'd go back to short eventually.

I don't want to go for a crop immediately, as I'd like to take advantage of the length to do something about assymetric/undercut. Can't have anything too horse-frightening, due to work, and I don't want to look like I'm having a mid-life crisis and trying to look like a teen - which is OK as they all seem to have mullets at the moment :p . But also aware a lot of more interesting older women haircuts (ie not just a bob) can look like... the dreaded 'K' word - which I know is a misogynistic, agist slur that should get in the sea, but I still don't want to look like one. I think the trick is to go for wispy, not spikey. I have a face shape that suits most cuts, straight but slightly flicky medium-weight hair; I'll probably not be putting a fringe back in but may go for a long side-swept one or a light choppy one.

This is slightly mullety but in a nice way - I've sometimes grown out a crop to something like this and it's works on me

shaggy-mullet-with-choppy-fringe-for-ladies-40-and-up.jpg

Or something like a slightly longer pixie that's undecut:

short-pixie-cut-for-ladies-40-and-over.jpg

Or possibly just see if I can recreate this cut I had 10 years ago which I loved, but never got recut as radically as it was done originally (I think I had stopped working near the hairdresser that cut it) as I think it would still work

149116_1722400225225_5813018_n.jpg

Last edited:
(Subscribes to thread. Mrs D has had the asymmetrical cut for a few years, but is now looking for something short, and a bit different.)

So I've decided I am tired of long hair - I used to be the person who changed her haircut all the time, but for the last 10 years I've had long hair and I've not been very good at it. I can't do much with it and can't be arsed to learn, it all seems to require eyes in the back of your head if you haven't practised since childhood (I basically had a crop or short bob between ages of 9-35) and I always knew I'd go back to short eventually.

I don't want to go for a crop immediately, as I'd like to take advantage of the length to do something about assymetric/undercut. Can't have anything too horse-frightening, due to work, and I don't want to look like I'm having a mid-life crisis and trying to look like a teen - which is OK as they all seem to have mullets at the moment :p . But also aware a lot of more interesting older women haircuts (ie not just a bob) can look like... the dreaded 'K' word - which I know is a misogynistic, agist slur that should get in the sea, but I still don't want to look like one. I think the trick is to go for wispy, not spikey. I have a face shape that suits most cuts, straight but slightly flicky medium-weight hair; I'll probably not be putting a fringe back in but may go for a long side-swept one or a light choppy one.

This is slightly mullety but in a nice way - I've sometimes grown out a crop to something like this and it's works on me

Or possibly just see if I can recreate this cut I had 10 years ago which I loved, but never got recut as radically as it was done originally (I think I had stopped working near the hairdresser that cut it) as I think it would still work
The middle example is horrible and lib dem/toryville.

Like the one from 10 years ago and the first one.

I definitely need a haircut. I've been trimming my hair since my 20s, but I just wear it in a bun all the time since it lost its bounce, a few years ago. Short hair does not suit me so I don't know what to do.

The top one would look fab on you, and I like the bottom one too.
Not the ones in the middle photo though.

I think I'll gather a few alternatives and talk to hairdresser - I will splurge the money on the really good hairdresser down the road who recut my teenager's hair short as she totally knows her stuff so I expect she will be able to advise what's going to work.

I have booked my appointment now for a fortnight tomorrow (the hairdressers in question get very booked up) - going to go for the cut in post #10, albeit without bleach job... for now at least.

Also going to show them the photo of me from 10 years ago to make it clear they don't need to be tentative and that I'm not having a midlife crisis and cutting my hair short for the first time in my life or something, so I won't be in for a shock at having shorter hair. :D Though it may be a bit different having it for the first time in proper middle age.

I do find hairdressers veer to being overly cautious, even when I was just getting 3 inches cut off my long hair when it had got too long and would still be long without those 3 inches. I mean, it's understandable, as you can always ask for more off, but sometimes you have to be really clear.

Did your haircut work out in the end, Cloo?

I like the top haircut, but don’t think I’d have the guts to ask for anything vaguely mullet-y.

I loathe my hair at the moment. Went to the high street hairdresser and asked her to chop everything off into a very short bob, because it was hot, I needed something easy to wash after running and I can’t stand ponytails. There was a time when I could rock the Louise Brooks look, but that time has passed.

One of the worse things about perimenopause has been the hair loss, especially my beloved fringe, which doesn’t have the weight it used to. (RIP, fringe. I loved you.) But maybe it’s time to change things up a bit. I’m liking the look of these messy styles (the top one, especially, which I hope would work with my brunette hair):

BB698AF3-B052-49AD-AE81-E81219AB7CA2.jpeg1E71AF14-51D1-43EE-9280-90238EFC826F.jpeg

I have booked my appointment now for a fortnight tomorrow (the hairdressers in question get very booked up) - going to go for the cut in post #10, albeit without bleach job... for now at least.

Also going to show them the photo of me from 10 years ago to make it clear they don't need to be tentative and that I'm not having a midlife crisis and cutting my hair short for the first time in my life or something, so I won't be in for a shock at having shorter hair. :D Though it may be a bit different having it for the first time in proper middle age.

I do find hairdressers veer to being overly cautious, even when I was just getting 3 inches cut off my long hair when it had got too long and would still be long without those 3 inches. I mean, it's understandable, as you can always ask for more off, but sometimes you have to be really clear.
It can be very difficult to get hairdressers to be sufficiently radical. I could never get local ones to cut my fringe properly short. Ended up going to Hair by Fairy all the time for that reason.

Now I have a friend who is a visiting hairdresser who gets it.

Yeah, it was good - I have a pic on Ugly Mug! It's weird, even though I knew I was asking for jaw length, and it is, it still feels longer than I expected, but it was the right thing to do. I don't think I look any younger/older/more attractive/less attractive but it feels more 'me' at least.

Yeah, it was good - I have a pic on Ugly Mug! It's weird, even though I knew I was asking for jaw length, and it is, it still feels longer than I expected, but it was the right thing to do. I don't think I look any younger/older/more attractive/less attractive but it feels more 'me' at least.
Yes, suits you! Kind of what I’m aiming for too :)

149116_1722400225225_5813018_n.jpg
The top one is actually very nice.

The middle 'after' one looks like a wig advert.

I ditched long hair a couple of years ago, and haven't looked back.

I had been meaning to say, I have a friend in her mid-forties who's recently got an asymmetric haircut and it looks great - I suppose it's just like undercut/short back and sides, swept over on one side would be the simplest way of describing it? Would recommend as a very good haircut, anyway.

I had been meaning to say, I have a friend in her mid-forties who's recently got an asymmetric haircut and it looks great - I suppose it's just like undercut/short back and sides, swept over on one side would be the simplest way of describing it? Would recommend as a very good haircut, anyway.
A combover?

A combover?
I suppose you could call it that? Also, thinking about the thread title, I believe "mid" is used as an expression of disapproval by today's yoof to suggest something mediocre, so probably best to avoid asking any zoomer hairdressers for a mid haircut.

I’ve booked a senior stylist at the salon I’ve used for years, where I usually get a very good haircut. Every now and then I go somewhere else (either because it’s cheaper or more convenient to get to) and will usually regret it.

Feeling a bit guilty about not going to the lady on the high street, who is really lovely and thoughtful, but will likely give me the middle-aged haircut I’m trying to avoid. This means I must never bump into her on the high street, or always wear a hat when in the high street, to hide my new haircut.

I suppose you could call it that? Also, thinking about the thread title, I believe "mid" is used as an expression of disapproval by today's yoof to suggest something mediocre, so probably best to avoid asking any zoomer hairdressers for a mid haircut.
Is it? I haven't heard that - I'll ask my son when he gets home if it's the dismissive term du jour.

I wouldn't ask for a mid anything - the middle ground just isn't usually for me.

When I was about 20 I set fire to one side of my hair with a cigarette (during what I thought had been a very seductive pose, mid date, on a sofa in a bar) and decided to go very short, and I hated it. Couldn't wait for it to come back. Until 2020, that's the only time it's been short.

A few years ago I had it chopped to shoulder length, quite blunt, but still long enough to put it up in different styles. During lockdown #1 I was depressed at the mess, the undyed grey, and even some tangling that couldn't be undone. I reached for the scissors to sort that knot out, and decided on the spur of the moment to hack it all off. It was completely liberating, even if it did look a bit like a Boris Johnson cut by the time I was done. I've never looked back.

Later that year, I was able to have it shaped and dyed again properly, and we worked to a 'Princess Diana on the cover of the July 1997 Vanity Fair' short style and colour. Classic, still looks current, doesn't date. I love it. No more endless drying, no more careful brushing, no hour upon hour in the salon chair having it all pulled and painted in sections - and the darker roots and greys all blend into the blonde.

I can't see myself ever returning to anything longer.

Last edited:
Is it? I haven't heard that - I'll ask my son when he gets home if it's the dismissive term du jour.

I wouldn't ask for a mid anything - the middle ground just isn't usually for me.

When I was about 20 I set fire to one side of my hair with a cigarette (during what I thought had been a very seductive pose, mid date, on a sofa in a bar) and decided to go very short, and I hated it. Couldn't wait for it to come back. Until 2020, that's the only time it's been short.
I had an ex who once set fire to someone's eyelashes (not mine) while attempting to seductively light their cigarette.

Ouch. I presume that was the end of that relationship? There's some poor soul going round with that as their 'worst date' story.

The haircut I speak of...

It works great for me. In the best traditions of the convert, I'm now also an evangelist to my cause - everyone should have their long hair cut off. It's mature, but still young, and it's just a hundred times easier to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom