Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Inside Nature's Giants: Giant Squid (14/10/10)

London_Calling

Pleasant and unpatronising
Not until 9:00pm on Thursday but it's going to be a belter:

The giant squid was long thought to be the stuff of legend. It was only in the late 19th century that it was first officially recorded by scientists, after one leviathan squid washed up on a beach in New Zealand.

Related to slugs and snails, this monster from the deep, along with its cousin the colossal squid, is the largest invertebrate in the world. It has never been filmed in its natural habitat hundreds of metres down, but occasionally specimens are brought to the surface by deep-sea trawlers.

Joy Reidenberg and Mark Evans fly out to New Zealand to join a team of experts and dissect a rare specimen of a giant squid and a bizarre octopus that inhabits the 'midnight zone' over a kilometre deep, where there is no light at all.

From the moment they set eyes on these cephalopods, the dissection team is fascinated by the alien anatomy of these strange cousins.

The team discover that the giant squid has teeth on its tentacles and tongue, a throat that dives through the middle of its brain, and three hearts that power blue blood through a muscle-filled jet-propulsion cloak. They investigate how octopus and squid are masters of disguise and survive underwater warfare using camouflage, ink jets and spectacular light shows.

They piece together the puzzle of how the giant squid hunts, how it jets through the water, how its quick-fire beak pulverises food and why it has such enormous eyes. They also discover the brutal truth about giant squid sex.
I think I went out with this ones sister in the 90s :(

Going to be great - book a seat on the sofa early.

Here is one I had the pleasure of smelling earlier - a few years ago now.

archpic.jpg

arch002.jpg

IIRC, this one was around 18 feet long but the biggest one my lot have ever had the pleasure of studying was 183 feet long.

And here is another:

arch101.jpg

:)

Yes - That was a very long time ago and most of the evidence for the biggest squid is the marks they leave on Sperm Whale skin when they get eaten. Washups of the big ones are very very rare.

Ah, yes. I've seen pop science/nature programmes on the telly about people (you included I guess) getting an idea of the size they can get to, by measuring the sucker scars left on dead Sperm whales in their battles with squid when hunting them, and also the discovery of large undigested beaks inside their stomachs also?

Yes - We have contributed to a good few progs (pickled bits of the one above have featured), although our top squid people are rather depleted just now. One died, another went to work for the Antarctic Survey and the current guy is spending most of his time doing fieldwork off Portugal just now. We don't run a specalised cephalopod lab any more. The remaining guys are mainly engaged in statistical and modelling work for the various national and international fisheries.

Yes, they do size from beaks too. Although again, we have not done much rummaging around in whale guts for a few years now, not since the old guy fell ill. :(

Somewhere in our collection, we have a chunk of pickled whale skin that has a presumed sucker ring mark that is nearly a metre across - that would be a big squid! :eek:

Somewhere in our collection, we have a chunk of pickled whale skin that has a presumed sucker ring mark that is nearly a metre across - that would be a big squid! :eek:

'kinell, I used to have nightmares as a kid seeing prefectly normal sized jellyfish:eek:

I'll watch this, or Sky+ it. Was a massive thrill seeing a giant squid in the game "Endless Ocean" - I've always been interested in the monsters of the deep. Wonder what other mad things are down there.

I'm rather fascinated by the three hearts of this creature - do they work in tandem I wonder, or control different parts . . . why blue blood . . . :hmm:

Nothing to add except I know the guy whose idea this show was and who also directs quite a few of them.

:cool:

Well, he did an excellent job :) - Really captured the essence of a Giant Squid dissection, in every way, except the truly god-awful stench.

And they really did need to remove that digestive organ carefully. I was present when one from a Giant Octopus burst and fuck, it was foul! The carcass was flodded in this clingy disgusting gunk and the entire building stank for days. Someone three floors away decided they were in the wrong scientific discipline and quit because of it! :eek: :D

I work in broad-based Natural History and Medical Sciences. With a bit of film and media work as a sideline. :)

For that BBC link above - I was one of the team who designed the original lander cameras. The optics were all my work. :)

And it ain't so amazing when you are looking at vast quantities of stinking seal shit, no! :eek:

Yeah - The way most cephalopods look after their eggs is amazing. Another sight to see is the way some octopus will tend their eggs in what is almost a bower.

The way the Paper Natuilus lets its penis go swimming away by itself to find a mate is kinda bizzarre tho! :eek:

Sorry for sounding thick, but I guess the mother dies shortly afterwards because all the attention paid to that big batch of eggs in her arms takes months, leaving her with no opportunity to hunt and sustain herself?

It was fine though I thought they struggled a bit for content over the extended screen time. As mentioned, that Collosal Squid was something else.

The most disconcerting thing was switching to Question Time afterwards and seeing David Willetts ('MP for Havant and Minister of State for Universities and Science') - not that easy to spot the differences.

Back
Top Bottom