Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New Adam Curtis - on iPlayer 13/10/22

Watched the first couple of episodes and came to appreciate it. I like old news/tv/archive/on this day shit, so I soon got over the lack of naration. Definately not one for a binge watch though, it's gonna be one-two per week I think.

I hadn't realised what the format of this was. So after about 10 minutes of various Russians on TV doing something or being somewhere, with no audio description I binned it off. Didn't realise AC wasn't gonna talk in it at all.

Just watched the first episode. Wow, what can I say, amazing stuff - powerful and informative and evoking a whole range of emotions. And I actually do like the simplicity of his voice being absent.

am listening to this - might say something about it when i get to the end - its interesting though as its an interview recorded a few days ago and links traumazone with current uk politics - not a long way in but some interesting insights i think, even though i dont agree with it all

ETA: scrap that, he's annoyingly wrong on basic stuff here IMO - hes no fool but i dont think he understands the real material reasons behind the problems of the world.

This was recommended to me lastnight on YouTube. Though a bit flawed it was still good to listen to it before that first episode.

am listening to this - might say something about it when i get to the end - its interesting though as its an interview recorded a few days ago and links traumazone with current uk politics - not a long way in but some interesting insights i think, even though i dont agree with it all

ETA: scrap that, he's annoyingly wrong on basic stuff here IMO - hes no fool but i dont think he understands the real material reasons behind the problems of the world.

What did he say that you disagree with?

Fair enough but I wouldn't dismiss everything he says personally. And for me its going too far to say that he doesn't understand 'the real material reasons behind the problems of the world.'
it why his documentaries always play up the stories about the importance of individuals

Finding it fascinating. The narrative is more linear than some of his other stuff and the footage is amazing.

Can anyone recommend a good book about this period?
Sale of the century⁷
Sale of the Century is an account of privatization in Russia. It is based on interviews between Freeland and leading Russian businessmen, conducted from 1994 to 1998 when she lived in Russia as the Moscow bureau chief for the Financial Times.[33] The book chronicles the challenges that the "young reformers" championing capitalism such as Anatoly Chubais and Yegor Gaidar had in wresting control of Russian industry out of the hands of the communist "red barons". The compromises they made, such as the loans for shares scheme, allowed businessmen such as Mikhail Friedman, Mikhail Khodorkovsky, and Vladimir Potanin to seize control of the economy and install themselves as Russian oligarchs.
From Wikipedia.

I also just found out that the author is now Deputy Prime Minister of Canada.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the Harry Enfield/Paul Whitehouse Adam Curtis spoof is well worth a watch on the iplayer. :D

The Love Box In Your Living Room.

Back
Top Bottom