Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Inky the octopus legs it to freedom from NZ aquarium

editor

hiraethified
I fucking love octopuses. Much respect to Inky!

4400.jpg

An octopus has made a brazen escape from the national aquarium in New Zealand by breaking out of its tank, slithering down a 50-metre drainpipe and disappearing into the sea.

In scenes reminiscent of Finding Nemo, Inky – a common New Zealand octopus – made his dash for freedom after the lid of his tank was accidentally left slightly ajar.

Staff believe that in the middle of the night, while the aquarium was deserted, Inky clambered to the top of his cage, down the side of the tank and travelled across the floor of the aquarium.

Rob Yarrell, national manager of the National Aquarium of New Zealand in Napier, said: “Octopuses are famous escape artists.

“But Inky really tested the waters here. I don’t think he was unhappy with us, or lonely, as octopus are solitary creatures. But he is such a curious boy. He would want to know what’s happening on the outside. That’s just his personality.”

One theory is that Inky slid across the aquarium floor – a journey of three or four metres – and then, sensing freedom was at hand, into a drainpipe that lead directly to the sea.

The drainpipe was 50 metres long, and opened on to the waters of Hawke’s Bay, on the east coast of New Zealand’s North Island.
The great escape: Inky the octopus legs it to freedom from aquarium

ha ha !! reminds me of something I was told by someone who worked in one of the blue reef aquaria - they had to leave buckets out at night as one of their's was a right Houdini and could squeeze out of very small openings !

I just love that there is an octopus in New Zealand called Ozymandias. A superb name for an octopus
Hi Mrs M,hope you are doing well (I have faith),I'm guessing you are off to Asia,I've no more advice unless you are going to Afghanistan or Iran and that advice will be well out of date.Keep on keeping on and have a great time.

Hi Mrs M,hope you are doing well (I have faith),I'm guessing you are off to Asia,I've no more advice unless you are going to Afghanistan or Iran and that advice will be well out of date.Keep on keeping on and have a great time.
Hello!
I'm back in Aussie! Staying with me sister then doin the rounds here for a bit while it's a cooler....

Octopi are such cool creatures. I always find it a bit weird that my OH will happily eat an octopus but objects to people eating a bit of cow. I can understand vegetarianism (I was vegetarian myself for a long time), but I don't really get pescetarinism, when you look at something as cool as an octopus.

Octopi are such cool creatures. I always find it a bit weird that my OH will happily eat an octopus but objects to people eating a bit of cow. I can understand vegetarianism (I was vegetarian myself for a long time), but I don't really get pescetarinism, when you look at something as cool as an octopus.

Octopus seems to be a fairly uncommon kind of seafood in the UK; last time I had calamari was at my uncle's wedding. True fish aren't exactly scintillating intellects, despite PETA's attempt to rebrand them as sea kittens.

Octopus seems to be a fairly uncommon kind of seafood in the UK; last time I had calamari was at my uncle's wedding. True fish aren't exactly scintillating intellects, despite PETA's attempt to rebrand them as sea kittens.

Calamari is usually squid, not octopus. I eat squid about once a fortnight, Octopus less frequently, it's more difficult to come by.

Calamari is usually squid, not octopus. I eat squid about once a fortnight, Octopus less frequently, it's more difficult to come by.

Didn't know that about the calamari. Is there much of a difference between squid and octopus in terms of the eating experience, assuming similar cooking methods?

My assessment of the frequency of cephalopod consumption is coloured by own experiences, I guess. The only seafood I eat with any regularity are prawns.

Didn't know that about the calamari. Is there much of a difference between squid and octopus in terms of the eating experience, assuming similar cooking methods?

My assessment of the frequency of cephalopod consumption is coloured by own experiences, I guess. The only seafood I eat with any regularity are prawns.

Octopus is tastier (and more intelligent :/ ), I cook squid frequently and usually it is cooked for very brief period (like 3 minutes) otherwise it goes rubbery, I haven't had much opportunity to cook octopus but it can either be fried really quick like squid, or be tenderised with a mallet and stewed.

If they lived on land, they'd probably be kept as pets instead of being eaten, but people will eat just about anything from the sea except mammals.

In the James Bond film 'Octopussy' they used Octopi. That's good enough for me :D

Sorry to burst your bubble, but James Bond films are not the best place to look for guidance on grammatical correctness
The standard pluralized form of "octopus" in the English language is "octopuses", although the Ancient Greek plural "octopodes", has also been used historically. The alternative plural "octopi" — which misguidedly assumes it is a Latin "-us"-word — is considered grammatically incorrect

And strictly speaking, octopuses have arms, not legs, so the Guardian headline is full of fail, and I suggest the thread title should be changed to reflect this.

(I'm pretty sure both these issues come up whenever there's a thread relating to octopuses, BTW)

And strictly speaking, octopuses have arms, not legs, so the Guardian headline is full of fail, and I suggest the thread title should be changed to reflect this.

Yet they're called cephalopods. Given this and the fact that functionally octopus limbs serve as both arms and legs, I think that the thread title is fine as it is.

Hmmm. That was thought about birds at one time. And like birds, the more we discover about fish abilities, the more impressive they appear. Cooperative hunting by sharks is one example.

Back
Top Bottom