Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Indonesia earthquake & tsunami 2018

Fucking horrendous
Very surprised that I could not find a thread about it as it happened on Friday/Saturday. It is all the small fishing villages that will have got smashed & will not be easy to reach. Why people believe in god is beyond me.

I was in the area earlier this year. Looks like people I know are OK but it's a major tragedy.

The city of pula is basically at the end of a funnel that will have channeled the water and made the tsunami larger. My thoughts to all involved :(

Tsunami warning systems failed it seems. The people in that region really do deserve a decent system in place, can’t be that hard?

Tsunami warning systems failed it seems. The people in that region really do deserve a decent system in place, can’t be that hard?
Strike slip fault earthquakes rarely produce tsunami (or, if they do, they are typically quite small). Favourable local topography and bathymetry will also have contributed so more localised modelling is required to understand what is going on. Additionally, Indonesia’s tsunami (pressure) sensor network has apparently suffered from vandalism and a lack of maintenance over recent years, the comms buoys reportedly being frequently damaged due to shipping or malicious intent (they are reliant on less accurate, less timely methods involving tide gauges and seismographs only which can take up to 45 minutes to identify and communicate a threat instead of 1-3 minutes for modern near field pressure sensor arrays).

Last edited:
Someone from the goverment was claiming that it wasn't working because it had been vandalised or had a powercut on radio 4 the over day

Volcano Soputan is now erupting on Sulawesi. It's inland so probably won't cause any more tsunami. Fingers crossed not too many people are affected.

I think they have a 4km exclusion zone around the crater at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom