Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Illegal Adoptions Ireland

Aladdin

This documentary is on RTE tonight.

Horrendous.😥

The documentary uncovers:

• How religious orders pursued birth mothers for maintenance payments months after their children were adopted
  • More evidence of how Professor Eamonn de Valera, a son of the former president, faked medical appointment documents to facilitate illegal adoptions
  • Tusla is to apologise to illegal adoptees for insensitive meetings
In January, the Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes published its long-awaited report. However, it was largely silent on illegal adoptions despite Government promises for action in 2018 after it was revealed that 126 adoptees had been illegally registered on their birth certificates as the natural children of their adoptive parents.
"The extent of the scandal only began to emerge when the former St Patrick’s Guild Catholic adoption society run by the Religious Sisters of Charity transferred its files to the Child & Family Agency Tusla and it was decided those who had illegally adopted would be informed."

There have been interviews on radio and television with people who are now in their 70s and 80s who are only now discovering they were adopted and their birth certificates had been altered..

Not sure I'd want to watch that, mum got pregnant with me in 1964, she wasn't married at the time, but did marry Dad a few months before I was born. For years she told me I was premature :hmm:.

If my dad had done a runner, she might well have gone back to Ireland, she'd only been in England for 4 or 5 years, and then the Church might have had a say in my future. My grandad was a very religious man, my big memory of him is long sessions of the rosary . He didn't come to her wedding, possibly because she was pregnant at the time.

Back
Top Bottom