Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ian Holloway?

What's your opinion of Ian Holloway?

• Total voters

tangerinedream

Density of Sound
Club loyalties aside what do you make of him? is he a character who is refreshingly open or is he a 'character' who irritates the fuck out of you?

He reminds me of Steve Mcmahon and cos of that I quite like the fella.

Well, as a Leicester fan the jury is still very much out on his managerial skill. He's got to achieve a lot when the transfer window opens.

As a person, like him a lot. He seems to genuinely care, and you can't ask for more than that in the initial stages of a tenure.

Utterly disloyal cunt who i hope gets the sack sooner rather than later. Uses a personna of being straight-talking and a bit whacky to cover up the fact that he's only in it for the cash and who uses his daughters' deafness as a sympathy vote each time he moves clubs.

11 August 2006 (joins Plymouth Argyle) - "....I don't see it that way. I moved down here, I am from round here and I believe in the area, the whole lot. I am not thinking about targets for this season. I am thinking long term. This club can make it to the Premiership and I want to be the man who takes them there."

14 November 2007 - Plymouth Argyle manager Ian Holloway rubbishes reports suggesting he is about to leave the Pilgrims, saying:

"Ask anybody who knows me how I feel about Plymouth Argyle and they'll tell you the truth. If you need me to say it again, I'm in love with the place. It's absolutely magnificent. Ask my players who I'm trying to talk into staying here how I feel about Plymouth Argyle. I think they'll tell you the truth. It's all poppycock, if I'm allowed to use that word. It's absolutely pathetic. But the media is a very powerful thing and, unfortunately, a rumour can become a bigger rumour."

21 November 2007 - Holloway resigns and takes over at Leicester City.

Ha, yeah, that was pretty shameless. And yes, he mentioned the 'very good deaf school near the Walkers' thing.

However, there's no loyalty at all in football these days. Especially with managerial sackings every 5 mins. Take what you can get, I suppose. It's not nice, but he's no worse than anyone else.

ChrisFilter said:
Ha, yeah, that was pretty shameless. And yes, he mentioned the 'very good deaf school near the Walkers' thing.

However, there's no loyalty at all in football these days. Especially with managerial sackings every 5 mins. Take what you can get, I suppose. It's not nice, but he's no worse than anyone else.

fucking exactly!

he got offered a better job and has taken it, it's not like he's went to a direct rival.

and as you say chairmen aren't exactly adverse to kicking off a few rounds of musical chairs.

ChrisFilter said:
he's no worse than anyone else.

i'd say he is. he came up with all that bullshit when he was planning to jump ship from plymouth all along. i'm never naive enough to think that managers and players are going to be loyal but if you're planning to move then keep your mouth shut, don't come up with all that 'i love you' crap while you're in talks with someone else. the only good thing that's come out of it is that some people are now starting to see beyond the media friendly persona and recognise him for the bullshitter he is

ChrisFilter said:

Gawd, was i in a bad mood yesterday morning :D I have to say that my brother, who's a season ticket holder at Argyle, took it very well really, but he was also fairly well informed to the effect that Oli's wages were doubled (or even better) with the move. And its more the public announcements, than the actual fact of wanting away, especially as QPR put him on gardening leave previously cos of his alleged interest in the topb job with the Foxes.

I reckon he'll have his work cut out this season, but i also reckon you'll survive somehow. Meanwhile, the mighty Pilgrims will sail towards the playoffs, promotion to the Premiership and then the biggest adventure in the history of football in Devon will begin.....maybe!? :)

Paulie Tandoori said:
I reckon he'll have his work cut out this season, but i also reckon you'll survive somehow. Meanwhile, the mighty Pilgrims will sail towards the playoffs, promotion to the Premiership and then the biggest adventure in the history of football in Devon will begin.....maybe!? :)

We'll more than survive... we'll be quite comfortably mid-table, which I'd accept after having had more managers than home wins this year!

Just about to buy Steve Howard from Derby for £1.5m, Hayles from Argyle, Graham Kavanagh and Marton Fulop from Sunderland and rumours persist that a certain Mr Savage is on his way back to City (would love it, love it, love it - but I'd be very suprised if he did). We're also looking for two decent wingers.

Another £5m invested in the team, a settled manager and we can realistically start to expect a climb up the table.

ChrisFilter said:
We'll more than survive... we'll be quite comfortably mid-table, which I'd accept after having had more managers than home wins this year!

Just about to buy Steve Howard from Derby for £1.5m, Hayles from Argyle, Graham Kavanagh and Marton Fulop from Sunderland and rumours persist that a certain Mr Savage is on his way back to City (would love it, love it, love it - but I'd be very suprised if he did). We're also looking for two decent wingers.

Another £5m invested in the team, a settled manager and we can realistically start to expect a climb up the table.
A new strike force with a combined age of almost 70 i calculate. Blimey, hope their legs can hold up for the next few months. Mind you, there's rumours going around that Argyle might be after Hartson so it's obviously the season for vintage strikers atm :D

Good luck next year :)

Cheers - and you!

Yeah, they're both old, but we have an average squad age of about 23 at the moment, so it's not like we're adding to an already aging squad.

hayles has two goals in 24 games this season and was going to out of contract soon so to get some cash for him is pretty good for argyle

as a bloke i love him.

as a manager, leaves a lot to be desired at times

but its ollie :D

I think he made a mistake on New Years Day. Howard should have been on from the start. He brought him on after 30 minutes - after they were 2-0 down.

Think he's an ok manager who makes me laugh a bit.

He's a genius.

Big props for fucking the Gargoyles over as well, stupid green cunts :D

Well, as a Leicester fan the jury is still very much out on his managerial skill. He's got to achieve a lot when the transfer window opens.

As a person, like him a lot. He seems to genuinely care, and you can't ask for more than that in the initial stages of a tenure.

You can't polish a turd Chris.;)

did a great job at the gas with shite facilities
I like him

Well that's good news then... I get the impression he might not be very good with money, but actually pretty good at the other stuff, like motivating and stuff... In which case he's in the right place!

He is a very engaging and entertaining fella - and I suspect he'll do a good job for you whilst he's there.

Just don't expect that to be for very long.

He is a very engaging and entertaining fella - and I suspect he'll do a good job for you whilst he's there.

Just don't expect that to be for very long.

Maybe he's learnt his lesson - maybe he hasn't - He should've stayed at Plymouth clearly... He was at Bristol Rovers and QPR for a while irc....

I'm still a bit sceptical, I mean we treated Tony Parkes like shite and worryingly Holloway has started talking about playing a 'real madrid formation' and we have only got about 15 players and no midfield....

Then again as I originally said, he's a bit Macmahon-esque and I loved macca, so hopefully things will be reet.

How wrong I was!!!

Well, fuck me, Ian Holloway is King of Blackpool.

I didn't go today, not been going for a bit, and well, I'm the opposite of a glory fan I think, a misery fan maybe - just felt wrong, turning up for the big day without having done the hard graft. Pathetic, I know. Fucking hell it hurt though, was ok till yesterday then just gutted I wasn't going to be there. But what a match, Cardiff were unlucky but we are so good going forward, what a player to score - Sir Brett! I saw his debut, he looked good, never though he'd end up doing that...

It's not really sunk in... :cool: When I can't sleep I do imaginary commentaries in my head of us playing Man Utd - it's always in the cup of course, but it's actually going to happen, for real. :eek::cool:

Can a mod add a 'is a football genius' option to the poll and change my vote to that please...

I didn't go today, not been going for a bit, and well, I'm the opposite of a glory fan I think, a misery fan maybe - just felt wrong, turning up for the big day without having done the hard graft. Pathetic, I know.

So you're a proper old school Blackpool fan and you weren't even there.

Who the fuck were the 37,000 who turned up then? :D

Congrats by the way. :(

Back
Top Bottom