Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I would have been heartbroken

paolo

With that thread title I already sound like Cameron or one of the other Westminster clones.

Blood line I'm half Scot. My mum was born in Wick. Her sister was the first policewoman in the same place. My first girlfriend lived in Edinburgh. I used to shuttle up and down the M74 in my car, and later on train. A few years ago I took a GF on the Caledonian Sleeper. Waking up at Glasgow Central - it's majestic. Outside of St Pancras, the most beautiful station in the UK. Glasgow itself is an architectural beauty. Oddly, almost American, with it's block layout.

I wish I'd been older when I lived there. I remember there being a fighting spirit. My other heritage is Liverpool. There, it seemed, was a sense of resignation. Not in Glasgow. Shipyards going independent, progressive law... all sorts of stuff that wouldn't happen south of the border.

It all runs through me. Fucking hell I even like bagpipes. If I'd had the vote, living back in Scotland, I'd have probably voted yes.

Living south.. Independence, would have been heartbreaking. My highlander mum said the same. She was almost in tears.

(not sure what my overall point is - getting sentimental in my old age ;) )

Last edited:
My grandmother was Canadian and so were all her family. They coped alright with independence and I'm fine with the two sides of my maternal family having separate roots. It doesn't matter.

By any logical reasoning, you're right.

I'm puzzled by my own reaction. I didn't see that angst coming. What's the emotional connection? (Fuck the empire and all that shit. And fuck being governed by same-ist politicians).

I have a very good friend in Galway. The thing that separates us is distance, not the separation of governments that occurred a century ago.

But we grow up influenced by the status quo and ruling elite's attempts to bond us to their symbols emotionally. With the best will in the world it happens, so it's not unnatural. Just tell your heart to worry about important things, like people rather than states :)

I have a very good friend in Galway. The thing that separates us is distance, not the separation of governments that occurred a century ago.

But we grow up influenced by the status quo and ruling elite's attempts to bond us to their symbols emotionally. With the best will in the world it happens, so it's not unnatural. Just tell your heart to worry about important things, like people rather than states :)

I know I know. States are, by and large, artificial constructs.

But Scotland isn't an arbitrary construct?

Possibly the answer to this is that it's late and paolo should get some sleep ;)

I know I know. States are, by and large, artificial constructs.

But Scotland isn't an arbitrary construct?

Possibly the answer to this is that it's late and paolo should get some sleep ;)
An emotional connection to Scotland is fine, but you seem to be describing an emotional connection to the UK, ie the state containing Scotland & England - else why would you fear being heartbroken at its demise? The end of the UK wouldn't affect in the slightest your attachment to the Scottish land, culture, people. The only arbitrary thing here is the UK itself, so the end of it wouldn't affect the important stuff that you feel.

An emotional connection to Scotland is fine, but you seem to be describing an emotional connection to the UK, ie the state containing Scotland & England

Here you hit the nail, by implication at least. NI or Wales wouldn't have the same emotional connection. If they bailed, I would wave a merry wave, say good on you, see you soon. Hey, we're round the corner, pop in for tea sometime.

Scotland is an odd one emotionally. My scrappy argumentative sibling that I love for all of that. Because a lot the time she's right

I love Scotland to bits. Some of my very best friends are Scottish as well. I suppose it's nice that they can sometimes act as the UK's conscience but I don't think they should be obliged to be forever

> I don't think they should be obliged to be forever

Oh god no. I was pro referendum.

I'm puzzling my emotions on it.

Back
Top Bottom