Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hungerford v Dulwich, last away trip of the season 2022/23, Sat 22nd April 2023

It certainly wasn’t “the beautiful game” and as has been the case all season the defence parted when someone ran at them. Could’ve been worse given Quade cleared two off the line, and Hungerford kept plugging away.
First red was a rush of blood but stupid; Porter’s was a result of his constant man marking of referees in every game.
Hungerford crowd was clearly above normal hence the ridiculous queue for snacks!

It certainly wasn’t “the beautiful game” and as has been the case all season the defence parted when someone ran at them. Could’ve been worse given Quade cleared two off the line, and Hungerford kept plugging away.
First red was a rush of blood but stupid; Porter’s was a result of his constant man marking of referees in every game.
Hungerford crowd was clearly above normal hence the ridiculous queue for snacks!
Away supporters say we only turn up to drink beer, I reckon Hungerford supporters only turn up to eat burgers! Seriously, I felt for them, it's a decent club punching well above its weight, I hope they can bounce back.

Some nice pubbage too, the Downlands on Hungerford Common (Arkell's beers) plus a few in Newbury on the way home.

I think it's harsh and somewhat irrelevant to criticise our supporters. The attendance of 719 was well above Hungerford's average of just over 400. A lot of our supporters are non-drivers and it's not a great train service, yet there were plenty there, probably a couple of hundred. I spent 35 quid in train fares and ground admission before any food and drink. (I certainly needed a few drinks after watching that.)

Hungerford had much more passionate and vocal support than I've witnessed on previous visits but that's to be expected in the situation they were in.

We got sucked into a dogfight on possibly the worst pitch in the division, and the unfortunate absence of our manager may also have been a factor, but our team did show character to snatch that late equaliser. It wasn't great but all things considered, I'll take that point.
just thought there would be more of us, and louder. It was a proper schlep there and back, £34 on the train plus ED to Paddington and no service to Farringdon, maybe I was just missing the drummer!

Away supporters say we only turn up to drink beer, I reckon Hungerford supporters only turn up to eat burgers! Seriously, I felt for them, it's a decent club punching well above its weight, I hope they can bounce back.

Some nice pubbage too, the Downlands on Hungerford Common (Arkell's beers) plus a few in Newbury on the way home.
met some very nice Hungerford supporters, very decent crowd.

I think it's harsh and somewhat irrelevant to criticise our supporters. The attendance of 719 was well above Hungerford's average of just over 400. A lot of our supporters are non-drivers and it's not a great train service, yet there were plenty there, probably a couple of hundred. I spent 35 quid in train fares and ground admission before any food and drink. (I certainly needed a few drinks after watching that.)

Hungerford had much more passionate and vocal support than I've witnessed on previous visits but that's to be expected in the situation they were in.

We got sucked into a dogfight on possibly the worst pitch in the division, and the unfortunate absence of our manager may also have been a factor, but our team did show character to snatch that late equaliser. It wasn't great but all things considered, I'll take that point.
actually, thinking about this more, I don't think its irrelevant, I think it is in fact very relevant, if we'd all sung and supported more maybe......

met some very nice Hungerford supporters, very decent crowd.
Me too. One of them said they had fielded 11 goalkeepers during the season..I'll have to check that but they reckon relegation was nailed on when they lost their striker a while back.

Terrible performance against 10 men, but glad to come away with a point. Disappointing away numbers too, some singing but not that vocal. Oh well, Tuesday night it is!!
The atmosphere did suffer today because a lot of the people who form the backbone of the singing weren't present for various reasons. But, at the same time, it shouldn't be on the same dozen or so people behind the goal to do all the heavy lifting every game.

The songbook is freely available on the trust website, be the change you want to see in the world!

Interesting choice for their man of the match. Booked for nasty foul first half. 2nd yellow card for rugby tackling Porter after our goal stopping the restart when they needed a goal. Also suspended next week which could have been important. Smiling too .....

Hungerford can't really complain about relegation, they were bottom of the division for a fair part of the season. Isn't it amazing the 3 teams below us managed to raise their game and win today when they have been poor (even poorer than us). Ebbsfleet who hardly lost a game couldn't be bothered to beat Welling! Gotta beat Concord on Tuesday.

Interesting choice for their man of the match. Booked for nasty foul first half. 2nd yellow card for rugby tackling Porter after our goal stopping the restart when they needed a goal. Also suspended next week which could have been important. Smiling too .....
His first yellow card was when he picked up the ball after it went out for an obvious Hamlet throw, prompting a silly spat with Ming, who was also booked. His crowning moment was getting decked by a bloke half his size before the referee could actually send him off! Strange choice when it could have been just about any of the outfield players who put in a great 90 minute shift.

His first yellow card was when he picked up the ball after it went out for an obvious Hamlet throw, prompting a silly spat with Ming, who was also booked. His crowning moment was getting decked by a bloke half his size before the referee could actually send him off! Strange choice when it could have been just about any of the outfield players who put in a great 90 minute shift.
The first yellow came from Sanchez pushing him into the brick wall of the stand after the ball went out which I thought was poor on Sanchez's part after what happened at Bath, Angell had tried to reach the ball to keep it in play, then was trying to slow down with the wall approaching, and then Sanchez shoved him further, can understand the reaction but Sanch was clearly eyeing getting him a card there, but deservedly got one himself

Video highlights. From the opposite side of the pitch I didn't realise what a colossal launch that was from Campbell for the goal. He'd literally just come on as a substitute for that throw. Madness from their player, rugby tackling Crichlow for the double red card incident. They can't kick off until our player is back in his own half and he's sprinting back with the ball.

The Porter red card was clearly for something said to, or heard by, the linesman as they were poised to take a free kick. It was the final play of the match and probably not very helpful to Hungerford to delay it. The referee would have known he was about to blow the final whistle and I suspect he may have let it go if his assistant hadn't flagged.

The object lesson for our players is just get on with your game and don't overreact to what opponents or officials do.

Back
Top Bottom