Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich v Concord Sat 23 Sep 2023

Also first sightings of Ekpetita, bonnett-johnson and Pascal who all played well. Wanadio made lots happen - might have chosen to pass more often rather than shoot

I enjoyed today. It would have been a little embarrassing to have not won after their first half sending off, but nice to see both goals at the carwash end in the sunshine before the usual inclement weather kicks in for the next 6 months. I'm not going to pretend I know the names of the latest batch of players, but our number 10 looked pretty handy in the first half, surprised to see him replaced for the second?

Not hugely overcrowded today, any more and it becomes a chore. Good craic behind the goal second half. No Becks either!

I think Expiteta is a big plus. Good plus in central defence. Unfortunately Chambers is making quite a few errors these days. Would like to see their
1st disallowed goal as it just looked a mistake . Wpuld also like to see Gyebi start with Expetita.. upfront Romaine should start if fit and Danny good to combine or come on . Not seen anything from Clifton to deserve a start yet. Yes he can hold things up bit doesnt present a goal threat.

Defence looked pretty solid and side looked far better when braham-barrett, mills and Romain came on. Would be good to get an update on some of the injuries (Jeffrey, pingling, Scarlett?, parry? Allen?)
It seems to be the modern way not to give detailed updates on injured players, but given how many experienced players were absent today, it would be interesting to know who was unavailable and who was not selected: Allen, Jeffrey, Krasniqi, Ming, Parry, Pingling, Ricketts, Scarlett were all absent from a 16 man squad that included 5 starters signed since the previous league fixture, although two of those featured during pre-season. (I'm pretty sure Jeffrey and Pingling must be injured.)

Under the circumstances I felt we did about as well as could reasonably be expected. Yes, we might have won more convincingly but it was a fairly comfortable win and we played noticably more football, looking to build from the back and retain possession for longer. Concord were poor, but our three league defeats were all against teams who started the day in the top 6 and had won most of their games. This was the sort of fixture you want when you're looking to end a poor run, and we were assisted when Concord's right back foolishly got himself sent off before half time for two pretty clear yellow card offences that left the referee with little option. First he kicked the ball away from right under the ref's nose after being penalised for a minor but obvious foul, then he got caught in possession and brought Wanadio down from behind as he accelerated away.

It wasn't all plain sailing, Concord twice had the ball in our net after balls were played in behind our defence, but each time the linesman's flag was already up for offside. Of the newcomers, Pascal looked sound enough at right back, Bonnett-Johnson was neat and tidy in the midfield holding role earmarked for Ricketts, while Dougui was impressively confident and tricky for a teenager starting his first men's league game. We looked more forceful after Clifton and two of the youngsters were replaced by three experienced substitutes, but I think Concord were also flagging by then with the numerical disadvantage. Romain showed what he can do within 5 minutes of coming on as a half time substitute, rifling a shot into the net from the edge of the box after the visiting defence had got into a tangle. The lead was doubled with 20 minutes to go when Chambers climbed high for a far post cross to send a downward header back across goal into the bottom corner. We probably should have won by an extra goal or two against a side that has now lost its first 7 league games, as well as slipping out of the FA Cup against lower level opponents in a replay

Was a real struggle until the sending off (thought the second yellow was very harsh) and had the offside flag to thank for bailing Chambers out in the first half.

Second half was much better but to be expected given they were down to 10.

Still struggling to get excited although Ekpiteta and Bonnet-Johnson look like good additions. Really lacking in creativity apart from Wanadio.

Enjoyed today. Felt like more that 2,500. Didn't see a single Concord fan, bit odd, clearly a club in free fall.

We got lucky with the red but a hugely encouraging first half, Dougui adds width and the whole team seemed up for it.

Dare i say it, Ricketts, Ming and Krashniqi weren't missed.

Oh, and the bar staff told me the new lager is from Marstons. Didn't have it, but the Brooklyn ale was pretty good.

Considering putting myself forward for a volunteer position in the clubhouse to urge people to stop being shy and usher them towards that bar thing when they get to the end of the zigzag queue. It must be what the polite middle classes do in Waitrose at the self service tills, except at Hamlet there isn't an employee on hand to direct them to the next available free till to complete the drink transaction.

Considering putting myself forward for a volunteer position in the clubhouse to urge people to stop being shy and usher them towards that bar thing when they get to the end of the zigzag queue. It must be what the polite middle classes do in Waitrose at the self service tills, except at Hamlet there isn't an employee on hand to direct them to the next available free till to complete the drink transaction.
The club (and all football clubs) always need more volunteers for many roles on matchdays and also non-matchdays.
The more people that help the less often people need to volunteer their time.

It’s always a tough one to expect fans to step forward and volunteer when it’s known that there a quite a number of paid staff at the club, either directly or in a contracted role. Was actually quoted a figure of the number of individuals by a senior person at the club detailing the amount of people receiving some sort of payment and I was shocked given that so much was undertaken voluntarily or for some beer money in my time on the committee. Indeed there were many of us who ended up well out of pocket in those days like so many in a similar situation across non league football.

It’s always a tough one to expect fans to step forward and volunteer when it’s known that there a quite a number of paid staff at the club, either directly or in a contracted role. Was actually quoted a figure of the number of individuals by a senior person at the club detailing the amount of people receiving some sort of payment and I was shocked given that so much was undertaken voluntarily or for some beer money in my time on the committee. Indeed there were many of us who ended up well out of pocket in those days like so many in a similar situation across non league football.
Paula I am starting to wonder if you would like a return to the good old days when
nobody got paid and the owners pocketed all the money.
no bills got paid and we were all unaware of the club’s financial position.
when people stole from the club in so many places.
There are just the following full time employees that I am aware of
General Manager
Club Secretary
What others where we pay should be done by people for free?

We now have a club that generates small profits
Profits are retained or reinvented not taken out by Directors/owners
The club is debt free and not lurching from crisis to crisis.
It pays people fairly
Is run entirely within the law
Pays its bills on time

What are the roles and amounts paid that shocked you?
What about all the things the club has to do because of the council instructions? Are any of those costs related to it?
If you have specific questions, my offer made earlier remains open. Send an email liamhickey@dulwichhamletfc.co.uk, or come to the next forum. If you want to publish the response you receive to your questions, feel free.
Unlike the good old days you pine for, the running of the club is transparent.

Last edited:
The club (and all football clubs) always need more volunteers for many roles on matchdays and also non-matchdays.
The more people that help the less often people need to volunteer their time.
This. Our volunteer/attendance, is to put it put it politely, lacking.

There's an awful lot of money moving through that bar on a match day. Is that really where we need volunteers? From an outside perspective I think there's room for volunteering on many other fronts and they don't have to be visible to be meaningful. But what do I know.

There's an awful lot of money moving through that bar on a match day. Is that really where we need volunteers? From an outside perspective I think there's room for volunteering on many other fronts and they don't have to be visible to be meaningful. But what do I know.
Nobody has asked for volunteers in the bar as far as I am aware. All bar staff are paid London Living Wage.
I will try to find out what volunteers we need, but help with match day media is definitely one I can think of because there is way too much for one part time employee. Match reports, commentary, Football Webpages, camera operators, stewards, PA support, programme sellers, 50/50 sellers are roles I can think of.

Definitely an improvement on Saturday. Tough next 3 league games will give us a good idea of where we are in this division. All away at Hornchurch, Cheshunt and Billericay. Would be happy with 4 points and anything above a bonus .

Pics!

In photos: Dulwich Hamlet gain all three points against league strugglers Concord Rangers, Sat 23rd Sept 2023

In photos: Dulwich Hamlet gain all three points against league strugglers Concord Rangers, Sat 23rd Sept 2023

Are you able to say how many hours / days per week the part time media role is?
Haven’t we just lost our head of media etc to be replaced by a part time media person (voluntary or not, I’m not going to surmise)? There’s a few ways that might be read. Possibly that they weren’t doing their job well which from my outside pov seems 🐂. That they were offered a better job elsewhere. Or that the position was sacrificed as part of a money saving exercise.

Haven’t we just lost our head of media etc to be replaced by a part time media person (voluntary or not, I’m not going to surmise)? There’s a few ways that might be read. Possibly that they weren’t doing their job well which from my outside pov seems 🐂. That they were offered a better job elsewhere. Or that the position was sacrificed as part of a money saving exercise.
I had just left my job as Head of Media at a football club, I'd probably prefer that randomers on a message board weren't speculating about why.

If you want to know why that person has left, perhaps you could ask them, or maybe save it for the next Q&A at the club.

I had just left my job as Head of Media at a football club, I'd probably prefer that randomers on a message board weren't speculating about why.

If you want to know why that person has left, perhaps you could ask them, or maybe save it for the next Q&A at the club.
I'd prefer it more if the club just made a timely statement to eliminate any - potentially negative - speculation.

I didn't realise he was just an employee in a business. I thought he was a long tern fellow fan who had done loads and loads for the club in the past.
By all means ask him then, and I'm sure he'll tell you if that's what he wants.

But if he wanted to tell the world about it, I imagine he'd have put something more than just "Bye." in his leaving tweet.

Are you able to say how many hours / days per week the part time media role is?
I’m happy to pass to Kian and let him discuss with you. PM or email me.

In terms of Tom leaving it may be that the person did not want a statement made but I am just speculating.

On a personal level I would count the person as a friend but have plenty of issues with output and messaging over some months now. All of which I have discussed with him in person.

I believe the truth is likely to be that the media role is not one role but a series of roles and none of them are, in themselves, a full time role.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom