Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cheshunt v Dulwich - Isthmian Prem 30 Sep 2023

Had a conversation before the game about players who don't seem to care about the club and how much it is impression vs reality.

For four seasons we seem to have a squad who, almost to a man, (outwardly) don't seem to give a f--- whether they win lose or draw from one week to another.

That lack of 'caring' has a big impact on the terraces. And it's more than just a handful of players, it's just like everyone we sign ticks a 'don't give a f---' box on their contract when they join.

So, the question is, why do our players look like they don't care? And if they do, why don't they show it on the pitch?

Last edited:
Yeah, fair point. Haven't seen that at all. Porter was passionate but constant liability, cant seem to be find the right balance.
I don’t disagree - for all the experience and leadership the likes of Ricketts, Clifton, Braham-Barrett, Binnom-Williams, Romain should have brought with them you see hardly any of it on the pitch. Very little talking, encouragement, desire, organisation. Cheshunt had far more of those qualities with a younger, more energetic team.

Whilst not true of all, we need more younger upwardly mobile hungry players, and less overly experienced players on their way down. We also need to make contracts more performance oriented, with a get out clause if not picked for a certain % of matches.

I’m more likely to go back to something I don’t have to queue for. Oysters (or not taking cash payments) have revolutionised bus travel. Game of opinions and all that but I’d say they’re trying to get more in by speeding up the process of getting people in.
But in this instance I was prepared to pay online immediately before leaving home, only to find online sales had ceased without warning, therefore I'd have had no option but to pay on the gate in the end. I always aim to reach the ground at least 30 minutes before kick-off, at which time there's rarely a queue anyway.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I gernerally prefer not to buy things online if I can help it, and I find it a nuisance having to fiddle around creating an online account with each different club I visit to buy a ticket once a year. Any time saved by quicker entry at the gate is wasted beforehand doing all that.

But in this instance I was prepared to pay online immediately before leaving home, only to find online sales had ceased without warning, therefore I'd have had no option but to pay on the gate in the end. I always aim to reach the ground at least 30 minutes before kick-off, at which time there's rarely a queue anyway.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I gernerally prefer not to buy things online if I can help it, and I find it a nuisance having to fiddle around creating an online account with each different club I visit to buy a ticket once a year. Any time saved by quicker entry at the gate is wasted beforehand doing all that.
That, the cutoff and the individual account rather than using an aggregator (like FanBase say) is bullshit, I agree there.

For those that were there yesterday - did Hayrettin come over to the supporters behind the goal after the game? I left pretty sharpish, but didn't see a sign of him.

One disappointment on the playing front is that Adam Dougui, who looked a decent signing in his first two starts, missed both this week's matches.

Presume he is injured as he seemed to be the pacy winger we desperately needed.

I have seen all the games apart from Horsham away. Long enough to see if the players are not good enough or they are but have not yet clicked. I was hoping it was the latter but in my opinion it is the former. Yet again the recruitment has been poor. Too much he must be good because he captained Boreham Wood or Bilericay , played at Msidenhead and starred at Hampton, played over 250 games at national league level. Eg I saw enough videos or Billericay letting in goals last season to know Chambers would not work. For us to improve quickly we need to move out ( not easy i know) qyute a few players and get some loans on from the local league clubs. Young players not ready for the league but a level above our league. Like Woodman and Lawless last seaeon.

It was quite poignant yesterday to return to Cheshunt. Last season one of the highpoints ( a rare beast) and we won easily. Cheshunts only weapon was a series of corners and long throws which we dealt with easily. Life has turned a full circle as our main weapon was Krasniqi aiming his corners and throws to Mills while they looked quite decent on the ball

Looking at the current squad who do I think could be part of a playoff side . The numbers are goung down each week. I would go for Wanadio, Mills Binnom Williams and possibly Jeffrey and Dougui and Gyebi if i see more of them. I am not sure any more about Scott, Romaine, Barham Barrett and Ruddy. I cant make a case for any of the others.

Also noticing more arguments among the players on the pitch. Probably understandable in our position but doenst show a together dressing room.

And yes I will be at Cheshunt next week hoping for better.

One disappointment on the playing front is that Adam Dougui, who looked a decent signing in his first two starts, missed both this week's matches.

Presume he is injured as he seemed to be the pacy winger we desperately needed.
Looked like he had quality, so assumed the same.

In my 20 years of following Hamlet, we've never been able to give the fans a decent update on who is injured, how serious it is, and when they are expected back. I always assumed it was a non league thing, no idea if others do it well.

But seems to me it's in the managers interest, especially when things aren't going well, to explain to the fans who isn't available for selection and why he is forced to make changes.

It's not like the opposition are going to use it against us to beat us, because they do that anyway.

In my 20 years of following Hamlet, we've never been able to give the fans a decent update on who is injured, how serious it is, and when they are expected back. I always assumed it was a non league thing, no idea if others do it well.

But seems to me it's in the managers interest, especially when things aren't going well, to explain to the fans who isn't available for selection and why he is forced to make changes.

It's not like the opposition are going to use it against us to beat us, because they do that anyway.
If a manager isn’t lying to me, he’s not doing his job. That’s part of the (press conference) game.

Look at the state of our form guide. And even the utterly shit Haringey still managed to beat us in the FA Cup!

1696260239628.png

Here's the second set of photos from me. Predictably, my two favourites have no football in them at all:

Chesham FC 2-1 Dulwich Hamlet - extra photos and match video highlights, Sat 30th September 2023

Chesham FC 2-1 Dulwich Hamlet - extra photos and match video highlights, Sat 30th September 2023

But fear not, as there's also plenty of soccerball action:

And the weirdest stand of the season award goes to:

More here: https://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2023/10/cheshunt-fc-2-1-dulwich-hamlet-extra-photos-and-match-video-highlights-sat-30th-sept-2023/

Last edited:
And the weirdest stand of the season award goes to:

This was originally a standing terrace and the dugouts were on the opposite side in front of the clubhouse, along with a small older stand since demolished and replaced. The ground dates from the postwar era and was originally laid out to be developed as a multisports stadium, with space for a running/cycling track around the pitch, but lack of funding meant it never got any further than being a modest non-league football ground in the end.

Whilst not true of all, we need more younger upwardly mobile hungry players, and less overly experienced players on their way down. We also need to make contracts more performance oriented, with a get out clause if not picked for a certain % of matches.
Unfortunately, that is just not possible as the contract is a standard FA one.

This was originally a standing terrace and the dugouts were on the opposite side in front of the clubhouse, along with a small older stand since demolished and replaced. The ground dates from the postwar era and was originally laid out to be developed as a multisports stadium, with space for a running/cycling track around the pitch, but lack of funding meant it never got any further than being a modest non-league football ground in the end.
Given how small their crowds are, they could put some hoardings behind the players' benches and perhaps run junior 5 a-sides games, or dog shows, jumble sales or anything that might bring people in and put that big unused stand into action. So long as they don't start randomly charging £2 extra on the day.

Back
Top Bottom