Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hungerford v Dulwich, last away trip of the season 2022/23, Sat 22nd April 2023

Bugpowder Dust

Last minute change of plans mean I am seriously considering going to this

Looks easy enough to get to out of Paddington, although most trains need a change at Newbury. First class is currently cheaper than Standard at £32 (named trains) or a flexible standard return is coming up at £34.

Ground is an easy 15 minute walk from the station.

Anyone been before and can share any travel tips or pubs?

There's a basic Fuller's pub next to the station, otherwise the other pubs (3 or 4 of them) are all in the High Street, which is in the opposite direction to the ground and a bit on the twee side, but a pleasant enough place to explore. The best for real ale is the John of Gaunt, which is the furthest away.

The only other travel tip I can offer is to get a £30 Network Railcard for next season if you do regular away trips and other leisure travel within the southeast. One third off all day return and selected other fares on weekends and bank holidays within the advertised area, plus off peak weekdays with a minimum spend of £13. It pays for itself after 3 typical medium length trips.

I'd like to think we can win the game but, despite their league position, Hungerford are unbeaten in the last 6 at home whereas we've taken just 2 points from the last 11 away. Anything less than a win relegates Hungerford, whereas a draw might make us safe if Concord have lost to Dartford this evening and other results go in our favour on Saturday. I expect another battle similar to the Cheshunt game.

The only other travel tip I can offer is to get a £30 Network Railcard for next season if you do regular away trips and other leisure travel within the southeast. One third off all day return and selected other fares on weekends and bank holidays within the advertised area, plus off peak weekdays with a minimum spend of £13. It pays for itself after 3 typical medium length trips.

Seconded (or the £30 Senior Railcard - same thing but works further afield)

One additional travel trip. Don't use pay-as-you-go to get to Paddington by train/tube. A day return to Hungerford from East Dulwich, Denmark Hill, Herne Hill or any other train station within Greater London is the same price as a day return from Paddington to Hungerford and includes the cross London tube journey between Central London termini. An oystercard single fare from East Dulwich to Paddington is £4.70 each way, so this saves the best part of a tenner. (This may not be the case for every other trip using routes operated by different train companies but there will almost certainly be a saving.) Annoyingly for me, it doesn't work if you're starting from a tube station.

Last minute change of plans mean I am seriously considering going to this

Looks easy enough to get to out of Paddington, although most trains need a change at Newbury. First class is currently cheaper than Standard at £32 (named trains) or a flexible standard return is coming up at £34.

Ground is an easy 15 minute walk from the station.

I'd recommend The Downgate. It overlooks the common. You can then take a cut to the back of the ground by walking via the Common.

We have also enjoyed getting off at Kintbury (one stop before Hungerford) and visiting a pub on an island - the Dundas Arms.

The Downgate
07930 955362

The Dundas Arms
01488 658263

Sounds like two really stupid red cards. There may be mitigating circumstances but I sometimes wonder what is going on in their heads. We need all hands on deck. Will the suspensions kick in before Tuesday?

Sounds like two really stupid red cards. There may be mitigating circumstances but I sometimes wonder what is going on in their heads. We need all hands on deck. Will the suspensions kick in before Tuesday?
no 7 days so both miss Chippenham

There weren't. It was two really stupid red cards and they'll both be suspended next Saturday. Crichlow for a senseless altercation after our goal, when he threw a punch at an opponent twice his size who went down like he'd been hit by Craig Edwards and rather amusingly also got a second yellow. Porter's was for something off the ball (backchat to the referee as far as I could tell) in the 10th minute of stoppage time, most of which was for time-wasting by Hungerford while they were in front.

It was a dreadful spectacle on a bumpy pitch played at a frantic pace. Hungerford had to win, they had a man sent off after 15 minutes, they gave it a real go and left absolutely everything on the pitch. They had all the best chances except the one we actually converted and were extremely unlucky to be relegated today under the circumstances, even though they would have had to win two more games including Ebbsfleet away to actually stay up.

The Crichlow sending off was a strange. He went to get the ball from the back of the net after Porters goal. The Hungerford player rugby tackled him even though they needed a winner more than us. Crichlow stupidly threw a punch which barely connected but under the nose of the Ref so an obvious red. Funny to see the Hungerford players reaction to the 2nd yellow. Porter as usual was always in the Refs ear and complained about a freekick . Shame as good poacher's goal.

Looked like further cards on Dulwich bench after the goal. Not saying it was him but Krasniqi was on the bench.

Terrible performance against 10 men, but glad to come away with a point. Disappointing away numbers too, some singing but not that vocal. Oh well, Tuesday night it is!!

The Crichlow sending off was a strange. He went to get the ball from the back of the net after Porters goal. The Hungerford player rugby tackled him even though they needed a winner more than us. Crichlow stupidly threw a punch which barely connected but under the nose of the Ref so an obvious red. Funny to see the Hungerford players reaction to the 2nd yellow. Porter as usual was always in the Refs ear and complained about a freekick . Shame as good poacher's goal.
I dare say Porter was no worse than usual but just got unlucky with a referee whose patience had been tried by everyone else and wasn't in the mood for leniency. I suspect he may struggle with Tourette's or ADHD, which are mitigating circumstances to be fair. It wasn't an easy game to control and some of the Hungerford simulation for that incident and others was embarrassing. I felt the referee had a good game.

As you say, there was no incentive for Hungerford to waste time after the equaliser and we couldn't take the kick-off for them, but in tense situations people don't always think logically. The Ming booking in the first half was similar, manhandling an opponent who picked up the ball after it went out for an obvious Hamlet throw.

Very poor and ill-disciplined performance, tactically drawn into a frantic game when calm heads, slowing the game down and stretching the 10 men were needed. Two utterly needless sendings off as well. We will need to be a lot better on Tuesday night; and come the summer a significantclear out and recruitment needs to be much much more effective. We are told our budget should put us in or near the playoffs. Time to deliver - this season has been hugely disappointing. PS please sort out centre midfield - we have never got it right at this level.

Terrible performance against 10 men, but glad to come away with a point. Disappointing away numbers too, some singing but not that vocal. Oh well, Tuesday night it is!!
I think it's harsh and somewhat irrelevant to criticise our supporters. The attendance of 719 was well above Hungerford's average of just over 400. A lot of our supporters are non-drivers and it's not a great train service, yet there were plenty there, probably a couple of hundred. I spent 35 quid in train fares and ground admission before any food and drink. (I certainly needed a few drinks after watching that.)

Hungerford had much more passionate and vocal support than I've witnessed on previous visits but that's to be expected in the situation they were in.

We got sucked into a dogfight on possibly the worst pitch in the division, and the unfortunate absence of our manager may also have been a factor, but our team did show character to snatch that late equaliser. It wasn't great but all things considered, I'll take that point.

Back
Top Bottom