Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hundreds of Post Office workers ‘vindicated’ by High Court ruling over faulty Post Office IT system

It would be good to hear from some of those mentioned, given that documents that appear to show that the Post Office Board was aware of the Horizon system's failures back in 2013 - indeed it was so worried about a potential miscarriage of justice that it alerted its insurers:

Channel 4 News has now obtained secret recordings of conversations over a decade ago between senior Post Office executives and the independent forensic accountants hired to find out whether sub-postmasters were to blame for the shortfalls at branches using the Horizon system. And, as Channel 4 News exclusively reports, they prove beyond doubt that the Post Office covered up the scandal for years as they continued to pursue innocent employees through the courts:

ITV News, 28 March 2024: A secret audio recording obtained by ITV News reveals that Post Office boss Paula Vennells was told directly about problems with the Horizon system and warned not to cover them up.

In a meeting with independent investigators from Second Sight on 2 July 2013, Ms Vennells was made aware of allegations that sub-postmaster branch accounts could be accessed remotely.

This is something the Post Office had denied for years:

Channel 4 News has now obtained secret recordings of conversations over a decade ago between senior Post Office executives and the independent forensic accountants hired to find out whether sub-postmasters were to blame for the shortfalls at branches using the Horizon system. And, as Channel 4 News exclusively reports, they prove beyond doubt that the Post Office covered up the scandal for years as they continued to pursue innocent employees through the courts:

Channel 4 News, 2 April 2024: More shocking revelations from secret recordings obtained by Channel 4 News show that Post Office boss Paula Vennells was briefed about allegations of a "covert operations teams" - and that it could remotely alter sub-postmasters accounts from Fujitsu's HQ without them knowing. That was in 2013. Seven years later, in letters to a parliamentary committee, Paula Vennells insisted she had been told by Fujitsu this was not possible.

Meanwhile the Post Office had taken innocent sub-postmasters to court, saying they must have stolen money when their accounts failed to add up - a miscarriage of justice that the tapes also reference:

The enquiry is live on BBC2 at the moment with Alan Bates giving evidence. What a man. So calm, collected, dignified, intelligent. With the few minutes I have seen I would have lost my patience and temper ages ago and would probably have long since stormed out.
I was listening to him. Incredible man.

Fujitsu should be sued for zillions, and all those crooked fuckers at the PO who tried to cover this up should go straight to jail for the utter misery and heartbreak they've caused.

I was once sacked after being falsely accused of taking money from a sandwich bar I was working at and even now - 25 years later - I'm angry about it, and that was just a shitty part time job.

I can't even imagine what the Post Office workers must have felt like.

The enquiry is live on BBC2 at the moment with Alan Bates giving evidence. What a man. So calm, collected, dignified, intelligent. With the few minutes I have seen I would have lost my patience and temper ages ago and would probably have long since stormed out.
I can't help thinking the bloke should run for election on an integrity ticket. Of course, he'd be absolutely mad to even consider it...

There are too many senior government and PO persons who have been involved in this and I'd be very surprised if they end up doing time. Some people will get a slapped wrist and be quietly shunted out of public sight.
It's wrong but isn't this the way the establishment always deal with this type of issue, the absolute fuckers 😠

A bit late to this but did it not occur to the people banging all these people up that it was a bit weird that all these rural post office managers had suddenly become criminal masterminds? All at the same time? Hundreds of them?

Saw Master Bates (soz but my juvenile side still giggles at that) give his testimony. He was brilliant. What a dude.

A bit late to this but did it not occur to the people banging all these people up that it was a bit weird that all these rural post office managers had suddenly become criminal masterminds? All at the same time? Hundreds of them?
Supposedly, technology was uncovering a hitherto hidden world of crime. Although I'd be sceptical that anyone really thought it had previously been possible to just take whatever you wanted and go unnoticed until Fujitsu came to the rescue.

and (sorry if i've missed it somewhere in the thread) isn't there some sort of union / national organisation for sub-postmasters?

what the heck were they doing?

it's a while since i've been a union rep, but if loads of my members suddenly got accused of fraud soon after a new accounting system came in, i'd probably start asking questions...

Also, the leader of the new company union played a major role in keeping the sub post post masters/mistresses classed as guilty. Without checking, can't remember what stage this was at, but he appeared before a (Parliamentary?) committee and said he actually thought that most of those accused were actually guilty. Just. Wow.

Back
Top Bottom