Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hundreds of Post Office workers ‘vindicated’ by High Court ruling over faulty Post Office IT system

There's a case I saw featured on a news programme that I just can't stop thinking about. A guy who ended up having a mental breakdown and got sectioned after being persecuted by the post office. Then, once sectioned, his stories about the post office destroying him were taken as evidence of his paranoid delusions by the hospital.

"A government insider said Keegan’s decision to leave the Cabinet Office was voluntary and not part of an effort to remove any alleged conflicts of interest ahead of ministers’ talks with Fujitsu over the sub-postmasters’ compensation settlement"

Well, there bloody well should have been an effort to remove alleged conflicts of interest.

After being forced to stop running his Post Office branch in 2003, Bates spearheaded the fight for justice and compensation. More than two decades later, he finally received an offer of compensation from the government on Wednesday but called it “offensive”.

“‘Full and fair’ might be his majesty’s government’s interpretation, but in reality the offer is derisory, offensive and after all this time, yes, cruel,” he told the Telegraph. “I will absolutely be turning this offer for financial redress down.

“It is just a terrible way to treat human beings – and I have heard from several sub-postmasters who have received similarly derisory offers, while others are still waiting.

“Bearing in mind my solicitors engaged forensic accountants to prepare my claim in accordance with established legal principles, it now seems we have to spend hours and hours over weeks and months with government-appointed lawyers at who knows what cost, just to point out these legal principles to them. But to them it might just be a good earner.”

In December, the Post Office almost halved the amount set aside for payments to branch managers wrongly convicted in the Horizon IT scandal as fewer than expected have won or brought appeals.

It said in its annual results covering the year to the end of March that it was now holding £244m for compensation payments related to overturned convictions, down from £487m a year ago, after 38% of appeals against convictions were either turned down, withdrawn or unsuccessful.

Bates added: “I have been in the queue along with all the others in the scheme, but if my case is an example of the way they are going to treat all the cases, we may as well start looking at a legal action again and let the judiciary decide.”
Twats.

Great that the nice Mr. Sunak has got involved to speed the whole process up and make it fast and fair :thumbs:

Was in my local post office yesterday getting some money, I asked is this the Horizon system then? yep they replied, have you had any problems with it I asked? nope they replied no problems, lucky huh, yep.

Post Office chairman says he was told to stall on compensation.

He was more shocked by the attitude he encountered in Whitehall. “Early on, I was told by a fairly senior person to stall on spending on compensation and on the replacement of Horizon, and to limp, in quotation marks — I did a file note on it — limp into the election,” he said. “It was not an anti-postmaster thing, it was just straight financials.

So who to believe? A lying vermin minister or a lying ex-PO Chair?
Toughie.

View attachment 412805

I don't think there's any suggestion that Staunton is a liar, he was only appointed in Dec. 2022, and was partly appointed to sort out the on running mess of the Horizon scandal, which it appears he wasn't allowed to do, and that's why he has chosen to speak out.

Badenoch is a known fucking liar, and I suspect she is just trying to cover her arse.

I don't think there's any suggestion that Staunton is a liar, he was only appointed in Dec. 2022, and was partly appointed to sort out the on running mess of the Horizon scandal, which it appears he wasn't allowed to do, and that's why he has chosen to speak out.

Badenoch is a proven fucking liar, and I suspect she is just trying to cover her arse.
There certainly is a suggestion that he's a liar; the thing is, that suggestion comes from a liar.

In a new statement issued to Sky News, Mr Staunton insisted there was "no real movement" on the payouts until after the airing of ITV drama Mr Bates Vs the Post Office earlier this year.

He said: "It was in the interests of the business as well as being fair for the postmasters that there was faster progress on exoneration and that compensation was more generous, but we didn't see any real movement until after the Mr Bates programme.

"I think it is pretty obvious to everyone what was really going on."

Henry Staunton has been a senior company director at public companies for decades, you don’t get these roles if you have a reputation for dishonesty.

There is no way he’d be in this position ( making accusations against the government ) if he wasn’t very sure of what he was saying.

I reckon the Tory politician is lying.

Henry Staunton has been a senior company director at public companies for decades, you don’t get these roles if you have a reputation for dishonesty.

There is no way he’d be in this position ( making accusations against the government ) if he wasn’t very sure of what he was saying.

I reckon the Tory politician is lying.

i'd still suggest he keeps his distance from windows in high rise buildings for a while...

labyrinth-two-door-riddle-2132019.jpg

Yet isn't that what the head of the post office has been doing for years? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom