Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Huge billboard goes up on Coldharbour Lane without planning permission and car wash shenanigans

They're hard at work banging away on the billboard now and have upgraded their operation now that they have two stepladders and two highly trained operatives on the go (and no safety gear natch).

Have to say they do seem a little cagey. They saw my camera and all scuttled off for a bit. I feel like I should shout out the window, "No, carry on! I want to see the back of the thing "

del1.jpg

del.jpg

He's not trying to saw the top of the main wood support with a domestic hand saw. I'm actually a little concerned, both for him and for passers by.

don't be, if he manages to impale himself you're in a prime position to get a few saleable shots :)

It can't cost much to hire a 3m scaffold tower for a day, surely?

Any cost is too much for these guys. Who can forget their innovative and economy-minded method of constructing a sign?

carwash-sign-coldharbour-lane-01.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/cowboys-ahoy-shoddy-workmanship-on-coldharbour-lane-brixton/

View attachment 38203

View attachment 38204

It's all go today! Considering the methodical way this thing was put up, and they way these two guys are banging away at the billboard in a bit of a random fashion, I'd say these guys haven't done it before.

They haven't put up any safety barriers in front of the barrier, so there's a pretty good chance a passer by may get hit when they bang a panel off.

Still, if it gets rid of the eyesore....

"Banging a panel off" sounds like a euphemism for something...:p

Just shows a lack of commitment if you ask me

It seems to me they're trying to remove the "board" part of the billboard without dismantling the framework (which they probably want to leave until last, what with them only having one ladder, two hammers and a shopping trolley to do the job with!).

I used to work in outdoor advertising and it was standard procedure to erect hoardings without planning permission. The thinking behind it was that if there were objections the company would apply for permission, appeal the almost inevitable refusal and wait until the very last minute before complying with the enforcement notice and removing the hoarding for reuse elsewhere (most of the hoarding is reusable and as you will have seen they're quite quick to erect). By dragging their heels as much as possible they could probably get a year of 'sales' out of the site and a 48 sheet hoarding in a good location is quite lucrative.

What caused us the most problems was vandalism. There's a good chance the advertising agency that books the site will inspect the site every so often and if the advert has been subverted or just plain vandalised the owner of the hoarding has two choices... Re-post the advert or forego that month's fee. Either way costs them money.

Not that I'm suggesting you get out there with the paint and 4" brush of course ;)

Possibly the gas axe or industrial 9" angle grinder mike be better idea

Any cost is too much for these guys. Who can forget their innovative and economy-minded method of constructing a sign?

carwash-sign-coldharbour-lane-01.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/cowboys-ahoy-shoddy-workmanship-on-coldharbour-lane-brixton/

I actually quite like that.

They're using the van to pivot the sign around the apex.What they've done is to thoughtfully place a blanket on the top of the van to stop the wood from damaging the roof during the maneuver. Unfortunately, Einstein and his mates didn't dial-in the fact that when they start reversing the van, the blanket will get pushed along the roof by the sign, thus eventually bringing the roof of the van into direct contact with the hardware and causing the geezer in the red jumper to slap a facepalm! :D

An update if anyone is interested: the huge live-in vehicle has now been moved to a new position (and one of the sides extended), presumably to take it away from the open toilet by the fence used by the street drinkers.

del.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom