Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Huge billboard goes up on Coldharbour Lane without planning permission and car wash shenanigans

wonder if, by starting to take it down, they have just complicated any enforcement action? You know how if you can show a court you've started to try and comply they have to give you more time?

If it's the owner or his staff doing the work they might prefer not to do it in the heat of the day.
Given the rate he was working at and the fact that there was only one of them, I'd say it would have taken him till about 5 or 6 am to finish, at least.

Much as I want to see the back of the thing, it's a residential area and folks would have started complaining seeing as he was making a right racket.

Nope. They scuttled off home straight after and haven't been back since.

But if the police just let them go they must've convinced them that they weren't damaging someone elses property. Seems odd that they'd just remove a couple of panels and then disappear though I agree.

But if the police just let them go they must've convinced them that they weren't damaging someone elses property. Seems odd that they'd just remove a couple of panels and then disappear though I agree.
Seeing as even the council have trouble working out who owns that land/billboard and have been powerless to do anything about its illegal existence, perhaps it was the same story for the cops?

del2.jpg

del.jpg

It's all go today! Considering the methodical way this thing was put up, and they way these two guys are banging away at the billboard in a bit of a random fashion, I'd say these guys haven't done it before.

They haven't put up any safety barriers in front of the barrier, so there's a pretty good chance a passer by may get hit when they bang a panel off.

Still, if it gets rid of the eyesore....

They're still thinking about it. They're fully kitted out for the job though: one small ladder, and two hammers. And a screwdriver. Oh, and a shopping trolley.
No safety gear needed.

del.jpg

The pace of change where this billboard is concerned is infuriatingly slow.

It reminds me a bit of the nearby Part Worn Res saga:

tyres1.jpg

tyres2.jpg

tyres7.jpg

More: http://www.urban75.org/brixton/features/tyres.html

They've recently declared all those large digital LED billboards illegal in Los Angeles. I don't really know what the problem is with them. The ones round by my old place in Shepherds Bush were well cool and much more futuristic looking than the old paper stylee ones. Probably more environmentally friendly too.

Back
Top Bottom