Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How many days a week do you WFH?

How many days a week do you work from home?

• Total voters

Hollis

bloody furious
:weed:
Out of interest - 4 years on from Covid.

I'm currently at home 2 days a week if I'm lucky - 3 days in the office. Largely pointless, but I don't mind it most of the time.

I've said 4, but it's really more than 4 1/2 on average. contractual requirement is to go to the office once a month although in practice it's sometimes not quite as often as that, but probably averages once or twice a month.

local authority - it was informal / emergency arrangement when i started the job (early 2022) but is now contractual for 'back office' staff (although if you can put up a special case for being regular in the office they will find somewhere for you.)

if it hadn't been wfh, it would have meant moving house so i'd probably not have taken the job - it's 60+ miles away, so it's a bit of a pain in the tail on the days i do have to go there (sometimes i do an overnight stay if there's enough to be there 2 days for, or a morning meeting i can't be late for) but comparing that with having done the commute to london, it's not that bad on balance.

I'm expecting to be sacked shortly as a result of my unwillingness to sit with my colleagues for no reason whatsoever when I actually work better in my underpants at home but fuck it. We're supposed to go in two days a week and I've been placed on some kind of warning thing as a result. But I really don't care. I think the only reason people bother going into the office is to get away from their other halves and I'm not currently burdened with that situation.

4, public sector, internal facing team. Supposed to do 3, but my team had a special dispensation to do 4 due to v short staffing a while ago and made it work so keeping up with that

Don’t hate going to the office, but not sure I’d fancy 5 days a week again

WFH people seem to be in such an ignorant bubble that they cannot imagine that many of us (perhaps the majority?) don’t work from home, have never worked from home and will never work from home.

I totally get that. Covid was a game changer for layabouts around the country such as myself. I'm sure you wouldn't say no if it was an option?

It was never a thing for my line of work until Covid, I once had a 3 hr meeting with my manager asking to wfh 2 days a week and she was adamant that it was not possible. That meeting was in October 2019…

I totally get that. Covid was a game changer for layabouts around the country such as myself. I'm sure you wouldn't say no if it was an option?
I would definitely say no. I did say no and made things very awkward for my bosses.

but only certain types of jobs can be done from home. People still have to make things, drive things, serve things etc etc.
Only a certain type of work can be done tapping away at a PC.

I would definitely say no. I did say no and made things very awkward for my bosses.

but only certain types of jobs can be done from home. People still have to make things, drive things, serve things etc etc.
Only a certain type of work can be done tapping away at a PC.

Yeh I know. I know how unfair it is. Covid coincided with me getting a serious injury and my work still expected me to to come into work until Boris finally locked us down. And then we all (office based people) realised there was absolutely no fucking point going into the office anyway.

But I take your point for people who dont do office shit.

I think in jobs where WFH is possible, employers need to be flexible either way.
It suits some personalities to work from home, and it suits some to be able to go somewhere else to work. I am of the latter persuasion. For me, work and home need to be separate spaces, both physically and psychologically. WFH would mean violating the sanctity and sanctuary of the home and would mean I would never be able to stop thinking about work work fucking work.

For me, work and home need to be separate spaces, both physically and psychologically. WFH would mean violating the sanctity and sanctuary of the home and would mean I would never be able to stop thinking about work work fucking work.

I certainly wasn't keen on the idea when it started (I continued to work in the office until about october 2020, then someone in the office tested positive and we were pretty much chased out with pitchforks) and thought that would be the case, but i'm managing reasonably well - the work laptop gets switched on and off at the right time, the mobile might stay on for a bit later, but very rare to get anything urgent.

I have got in the habit (unless there's a good reason not to) of doing a 3 part day, having a lunch break, then having an afternoon tea break as well, but booking it as a longer lunch break as the time sheet system can't cope with that. also allows things like putting laundry on at lunch time / getting it out and hanging it up at tea time.

Very occasionally I'll say sod it at 5-ish, and come back for an hour in the evening to get the right number of hours in, but that's not very often.

I'm in the sort of role where i don't get many phone calls.

Appreciate everyone's circumstances / jobs are different.

Last edited:
:weed:

As I said I don't generally mind going into the office, though I find WFH on Wed and Fridays a loads better than a 5-day office week.

I think I would go nuts if I WFH all the time - in my last job I could do this, and sometimes went into sit an an empty office just to get out the house..

Conversely when I'm really busy it seems silly having to go into a noisy office, when I could get far more done at home. Today I went in for a 25 minute meeting 'cause my boss doesn't really get remote working..

Last edited:
Fully remote (unless Ofsted or something else important happens)

Like others WFH on a formal basis was not really an option until COVID.

Then the plague came along & after that I started to push back a bit on the need for me to be physically present all the time. Then I got a new job & a certain amount of WFH in my contract agreed. Then I moved & tried to resign but they offered a remote contract instead. It's still technically temporary but once we got over the teething problems of me being the only employee with a remote contract & people thinking I had left because I wasn't at my desk any more, it's been fine!

I can wfh , guidance is now 1 day a week wfh, but a lot of folk ignore this & come in to the offices maybe 2 days week.

I hated WFH so come in 5 days a week, have done since we could go back in . Occasionally , I'll do a day WFH if I need to be at home. But since we were allowed back , I doubt I've done 5 days at home.

All very ad hoc - I enjoy WFH, it means I get to do stuff like the school run, make dinner etc... but very much enjoy going into the office and chatting with folk. I'm probably more creative at work, because I'm bouncing off others, but more focused at home because I'm not being interrupted - that said, if others aren't about to keep me on track, I have been known to go down some bizarre rabbit holes.

Probably doing about 50-50 at the moment, it's been 95% and nothing....

I was on two days from home when I still had a job, I hated making it into the office.

Three days in a row was a drag so I swung Mondays, Weds, Thursdays in the office.

Haven’t been into any kind of office since the day when government advice was to WFH if you could. I think lockdown was formalised four days later.

I work in small chunks that add up to around one billable day per week. About half of those are from bed on a tablet and half are at my desk in the spare room. The camera is only enabled for meetings important enough to require clothes.

I went to the workplace all during lockdown, and twice worked 11 12-hour shifts in a row, which I marvel at now, when I try to get out of four in a row. But there was nothing else to do, and if I'd had to stay at home, I'd have gone mad. The worst thing about it was that I felt more than usually entitled to wind down in a pub, and there weren't any pubs. Others may have been drinking more than usual at home, but I gave up drinking during the first lockdown, because I was furious -- I don't want a drink, I want to go to the pub! If I can't go to the pub, I'm not having a drink at all! That'll show 'em!

Back
Top Bottom