Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'How It Is' - Miroslaw Balka - Tate Modern Turbine Hall

Diamond

The Red Baron
I saw this today and it's highly recommended.

It's the first genuinely terrifying work of art I've ever seen.

Also, go there when it's busy.

It's even better hearing all the voices and movement all around you as walk in towards the back while not being able to see anything but brief glimpses of people in the darkness.

By far the best thing I've seen in the Turbine Hall.

Have been meaning to go to the Pop Art exhibition so will do this.

Thank you for adding motivation to get off my arse and go.

I liked it :) There was a point so far in when everything seemed to change perception wise without actually changing iyswim, I wanted to grab my friends arm incase I got lost/fell over :D Then *smack* :oops: I knew it was going to be there but it appeared quicker than I was expecting even though there were loads of people loitering near by.

It looked pretty cool from the outside too :cool:

I wouldn't be able to help yelling It's like that! And that's... as I stepped into the hall. I really am that lame.

I was going to go, but then I thought I could just put on a blindfold and stumble round my house for a while for similar effects.

you should go gc, it's not really very much like walking around blindfolded

i quite liked it but there were a lot of twats taking flash photos which diminished the dark effect somewhat

OUT OF TOWNERS :mad:

I didn't see the Gormley Box of Fog but looking at the images of it on the internet I would imagine the effect would be similar while also being the complete reverse.

The thing I found was that inside the darkness, at least while you are walking into it rather than looking back out into the Turbine Hall, you completely lose your sense of depth so that you get the impression that the chamber could extend backwards over a huge distance.

Also, I quite liked the effect of people's mobiles and cameras as they took pictures. It seemed to make the effect even more disorientating with these flashes of light that illuminated for a brief second before being swallowed back into the darkness.

Also, also, as you approach it for the first time walk underneath the chamber (it's raised about two metres above the floor) before going out and round to enter via the ramp. You hear all the clanging sounds of people walking about above you in the chamber and it sort of prepares you for the apprehension you feel when going up the ramp.

Its been half term this week so there have been tons of kids using their mobiles as torches.

I went 9pm last friday and found it interesting, having read reviews that described the box as like a shipping container i wasn't prepared for the size of it - how it's supposed to represent the transportation and annihilation of Polish jews remained a mystery. It felt more like the mother ship in Close Encounters to me. Still, an engaging distraction.

If it's sinister and creepy you're after try The Bunker at the Barbican.

*is intrigued*

Is it anything like Gormley's box of fog?

Very much so - you get a similar feeling of disorientation when walking into it (especially if you look up and ignore the grey glow of people with white shirts the stewards in their hiviz vests), and a similar 'Wahhh!' when you walk into the wall at the back of the container.

One of the better installations in the turbine hall. Not as much fun as Holler's slides, and not as hugely impressive as Weather System (which for me is the best thing the Turbine Hall has had) but it's good.

The thing I found was that inside the darkness, at least while you are walking into it rather than looking back out into the Turbine Hall, you completely lose your sense of depth so that you get the impression that the chamber could extend backwards over a huge distance.

^^^ This.

Id like to know if anyone didn't go smack into the back wall :D it felt a lot smaller inside when you reach the back than it looks from the outside.

Id love to go in there with noone else around :) specially no small people or folk with cameras :mad:

It looks good. I will try really hard to get to see it. He's not an artist I've ever heard of but you can kind of see 2nd world influences in his work. I found these links if anyone is interested. "Domestic memories and public catastrophe", apparently. I like the last pictures. They are labelled as photos but look like paintings, must be worked-on photos.

http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/exhibitions/unilevermiroslawbalka/default.shtm
http://www.whitecube.com/artists/balka/
http://www.whitecube.com/artists/balka/vi/

Went latish this evening, only a couple in there.....I reckon best way to get the effect is walk straight in, no looking back, it seems really dark and the ceiling seemed low to me......then when you get to the back turn around....wow it's huge looking backwards....we then went out and tried to do it again for that wow moment.. 9 year old daughter decided quite correctly " It's one of them things you can only do once...."

Definitely worth a visit.......but what's with the south bank walk being blocked off just before you get to the Tate?

Blackfriars Bridge redevelopment (?)

aha...never knew it was going to be ....not a huge detour, but we do that walk a lot and it is good to be able to stay next to the river all the way...never mind, maybe the redevelopment will add to future experiences. :D

Back
Top Bottom