Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How do you rate the quality of football in this World Cup?

Idaho

blah blah blah
Personally I think it's been pretty poor. There have been very few really good games. A general lack of flair. Few discoveries of new talent. And far too much diving, play-acting and negative play. Big teams failed to produce the goods, and fancied outsiders also failed.

I've enjoyed it, but it's really not been a classic. Germany, Japan and France were better. The standard of football in the US was better, but the coverage was poor IIRC.

Opinions?

And far too much diving,

Couldn't agree with this bit; a standard Champions League game has way more dives than most of these WC games and I' say France 98 and Germany 06 were pretty divey, worse than this one. In fact I've really wondered why there's been so little.

I think there's been quite a lot of conservative/defensive/cautious football...which added to the ball issue, has led to fewer goals. And therefore fewer really exciting games. The gamesmanship has been a bit annoying. But there's been some quality football on show, particularly in the latter stages.

Which games have been classics?

The only game that was remotely memorable for me was Slovenia v USA.

The first WC I remember was Mexico '86 and up until now, I reckon this one is fuckin' shit. Disappointing, flat...boring.

Which games have been classics?

The only game that was remotely memorable for me was Slovenia v USA.

I think you're forgetting the classic, skillful, goal-fest and all round display of the beautiful game that was Portugal v Brazil.....

:D

I think you're forgetting the classic, skillful, goal-fest and all round display of the beautiful game that was Portugal v Brazil.....

:D

That's just it. They have either been one sided batterings or cagey, negative close games. How many end to end 3-2's have we had?

I guess everyones forgotten all the drama in certain matches then. As usual 'past world cups are always better, blah blah'

Theres been drama at every World Cup and always will be. This one has been no different. Its a sporting event and there will be winners and loosers. But the actual quality of the football on average at this years tournament has been the poorest I've ever seen.

Italy/slovakia stands out for me. But there's been some really enjoyable games imo, people just have shit memories.

Me too. Oh yes. Bunch of twenty year olds send the WC Champions home packing. Oh fuck yes. We shall remember this...:) (And I loves the underdog...Slovakia will be back...)

Another one that stands out for me are the two surgical free kicks the Japanese struck against Denmark (ancient history now...)

It was the first time I got to watch the World Cup in my own home on my brand new sixty-inch phat (well, actually thin) HD television. (Not gear-boasting here...'twas just happy to see clean flawless sports broadcasting has gotten this far...)

One after the other, minutes apart, two perfect free kicks.

We watch those two goals over and over again. :)

But I digress...back to the thread topic...I love all World Cups. This one is just as good as all of them and I'll be jonesing for Brazil 2014 come Sunday. It's all good. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom